I'm a very new player, and there's one thing I can't get over.

I'm watching videos of people instructing how to play, doing chords, etc, etc. They are just easily reaching for the notes, and playing just that string, and all is well.
For me though, it seems like my hand can just barely hit all the notes being covered. I'm seeing people keep a finger curved to hit just one string, and it's all I can do to even bar the other notes to touch it.

I measured, from pinky to thumb, my hand spread is exactly 9 inches. Probably not the biggest, but certainly not small. Is it just that I'm new that my hand feels tiny?
I'm using a Fender Strat if it makes a difference.
Thanks.
woooow nice beginnign guitar
your fingers just havent stretched and your not used to playing yet
the feeling'll go away
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Play bass for a week or two.

Your hands will feel MASSIVE on a guitar.

Playing bass stretches your fingers a lot as well.
Quote by lithiumftw
i am actually lolling right now!!! lmao!

After 1 and a half long years, someone laughed at one of my posts.

F*CK YEAH
Ok, so it's basically a muscle memory thing that I haven't yet developed, right?
Is the solution to just try to consciously accurately place my fingers on the strings while playing?
Your thumb to pink range might be large but it takes a decent amount of time to gain flexibility between your 4 other fingers. Just keep playing riffs that challenge your flexibility and you will get better in time. Some of it is also strength. When you stretch to reach more than a few frets up, you are using different muscles or parts of muscles than you normally would when pushing down on something. This is especially true for the pinky. Hang in there man!
Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M
Ibanez GAX-70
Crate V-18 112
BYOC Overdrive TS808 Clone
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by JustinHorne
Ok, so it's basically a muscle memory thing that I haven't yet developed, right?
Is the solution to just try to consciously accurately place my fingers on the strings while playing?

Pretty much, remember it's something that takes years, all the best shredders didn't just pick up an axe and play effortlessly like malmsteen/vai/satch etc

2 things I suggest you do

Basic finger exercises 1 fret per finger 1-2-3-4 on each string up and down the fretboard, hurts like a bitch to begin with, after awhile it becomes second nature.

Pick a scale like A minor pentatonic and learn/practice it with a metronome starting at like 60-80 bpm - whatever you feel comfortable with and just focus on accuracy and fluency.

Oh and the "lessons" link on the top menu has a plethora of things to get you rocking

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/
I broke my G string fingering A minor