I want to get into playing bass, but my budget for an amp is about 6-700 dollars, and I don't want to buy one mediocre guitar amp and one mediocre bass amp, I'm looking to get a good combo amp that suits both bass and guitar. Is there one out there?

Another side question: If I play a bass through a combo guitar amp (50 watts), will the amp explode (read: die out, get crappy)?
Lunacy, sheer lunacy.
A bass will destroy a guitar amp.
So, if you're hell bent on doing this, you have to buy a bass amp.
Or an Orange Thunderverb.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
T-verb 200

edit:

didnt ever read post..the thunderverb is like 2k
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
If your budget is $700, you can spend $350 on each amp.
They won't really be mediocre, you can totally get a pretty decent amp for that price.
Fender Bassman + 4x10 bass cab.

Granted, they sound better as guitar amps... but it won't blow up when you plug a bass in it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Answer: Bass Cube and V33.

Also: Fender Bassman, Ampeg Portaflex, Orange Thunderverb.
Marshall JTM45/1986/Superbass with a quad (or two 4x12s in the case of the Superbass) of Celestion 55hz (pre-Rola style bass cones) G12H30s should sound great for guitar and work for bass as well. How good it sounds for bass, idk, but it should certainly work for it.

edit: nvm, didn't see the budget...
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 29, 2008,
I'd suggest an Acoustic combo. Not too expensive. Then use the rest on a guitar amp. A bass will destroy a guitar amp, and i'm sure you don't want to spend $700 on a bass amp that you use your guitar with as well.
if you like guitar, and just want to get into playing bass, I would say buy a more expensive guitar amp, and buy a budget bass amp. You could get something that did both, but they wouldn't do the guitar or bass any justice.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
if you like guitar, and just want to get into playing bass, I would say buy a more expensive guitar amp, and buy a budget bass amp. You could get something that did both, but they wouldn't do the guitar or bass any justice.

Quite ironic advice given your avatar but yeah I have read Lemmy blows a few speakers and plays with the bass turned right down on his Rick.
just buy a really nice bass amp and plug your guitar into it..

that is what i do..

i like the sound of my guitar through the 15" speaker of my bass amp..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums