anyone here have one? if so tell me about it
also why doesn't anyone talk about gretschs here?
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Great guitar.

I prefer the 5122, though.
i used to like that one more but im more fond of the 5120 now, my dot is already my double cutaway hollow body
USMC
i've got one, it's pretty ace
left as is since the day i bought it and it sounds great
signed,
your favorite poster
I have one, love it, it's perfect...enough said.

Love your name TS, it's because everybody on this forum plays metal, and theres a few that play blues and they always play strats. There is a thread for gretschs that died quick. Nobody knows good old rockabilly and psychobilly around here, i've never even seen it been uttered. Of corse you can play more than that on a 5120
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
yea, been figuring that out
theyre amazing guitars imo
you can play damn near everything and they are pretty as hell
gretschs sound like a les paul and a telecaster had a baby lol, cuz they have the versatility of a les paul with the twang of a telecaster
USMC
I play hardcore breakdowns on my gretsch all the time.

Granted im 20 feet away from my amp, but the tone is great. I wouldn't change a thing except the cheap clear pickguard
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I say this as someone who owns a bunch of Gretsches

The quality is not really there but they play, sound and feel good so buy a bunch.
yea, the quality has to be somewhat decent if people have had them for years

but the looks and sound is insane
price is a little steep though
but would you reccomend the gretsch for a hollow body for around 600?
im looking for twang and a psychobilly tone
USMC
They're actually pretty reasonably priced. For $600.00 I would recommend the 6114 New Jet. I bought one for $450.00 used.

Other than that I don't know what you'll find. Avoid the MIK models like the plague.
those have the signature sounding gretsch tone?
im looking for that twang sound
USMC
The Country Club are Duane Eddy are the only new models I have seen that has the "Gretsch" sound - like Chet Atkins or George Harrison.

Most of the new ones have more gain and more high end, but that's what most people want - the look without the sound.
i really like the sound of the big hollow bodies, like brian setzer with a bit of overdrive is the sound im looking for, like nekromantics, tiger army, kinda like that
i know nick 13 from TA plays a gretsch dou jet
and i think most of the guitarist the nekros have had had something similar to 6120s
USMC
Well, Setzer doesn't have a Gretsch sound at all. Not saying that's bad - but he uses hot pickups. The "Gretsch" sound is dead and twangy.

Think of Harrison in "It Won't Be Long" or Chet Atkins in The Everly Brothers "Should We Tell Him" or most of Sal Salvador's work.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Well, Setzer doesn't have a Gretsch sound at all. Not saying that's bad - but he uses hot pickups. The "Gretsch" sound is dead and twangy.

Think of Harrison in "It Won't Be Long" or Chet Atkins in The Everly Brothers "Should We Tell Him" or most of Sal Salvador's work.

yea, well so it want one with TV jones pickups then right?
i asked troy destroy what pickups he had and he said they were the de armond 200os that originally came in his guitar and those sound like what i want
USMC
Did he have an original or a RI? The old D'Armonds were much lower gain then the new ones. Try a bunch and see what you like. Filtertrons, D'Armond, HiLoTrons, they all sound different.
im not sure, but i thought they stopped making de armond 2000s quite some time ago?
have you ever heard rezurex?
if not you could just youtube them and im looking for tone of their lead guitarist
USMC
I strongly recommend getting a G5129 Electromatic they look much better and aren't that much more expensive. At first I really liked the G5120, but I ended up buying a G5129. I recently played a G5120 and I feel that the G5129 is far superior and no clear pickguard!
damn, never saw those before
i think thats what i want
even has the de armond 2000s
the bridge looks ugly to me but i could live with it hahah
USMC
I tried a Gretsch 5120 in the store, and it sang so sweet thru a Fender Champ, even when it was only at half-volume (I need to crank my Champ almost all the way from my Ibanez Gio to start sounding good). I'm definitely considering buying one, but I have to test it with my overdrive first. It was really solidly built and sounded great, though, and I really dug the orange finish.
Saint Louis Blues
Gotta say, I play psychobilly and rockabilly as well, I've been able to reproduce Nick13's tone, even though he uses a pro jet, and I've gotten close to Nekroman's tone in Horrorpops.

That twang is helped alot by a digital delay and reverb

and I agree with the fact Setzer has an awesome tone, but it's very full and not gretsch like at all.
Although the g5120 get's damn hot. And mine gets pretty abused because I'm a crackhead on stage and I play alot of shows with it. It's nice and full and everything's just fantastic.

If you want, drop some TV jones pickups. Because getting anything else is a big price gap
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
yea, i was gonna get a boss delay
digital or analog?
USMC
I'm sure theres a better one then boss, I just don't know what.

But digital I guess?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
yea, i know they have better than boss, but im kinda on a budget and boss is good quality from being as cheap as they are

i was kinda thinkin digital for and old school sound becuase i imagine they used analong
USMC
Ok. So Chris Cheney from The Living End is my favourite guitarist and ever since seeing his white falcon I've dreamed of getting a Gretsch, I saw Stray Cats a few weeks ago and it reminded me why I've always wanted a Gretsch. So out in the mail comes a guitar catalougue with a sexy orange G5120 staring straight at me. I'm getting some money so im really thinking of buying it...
firstly...

-I've heard the tuners need replacing, is this necessary and/or expensive?
-does it have balls? I play metal on my gibson flying V, however will I get some Brian Setzer/living end heaviness at all?
-being the cheaper gretsch i'm worried I won't get some "Rumble In Brighton" or "Storm The Embassy" or "Second Solution" type tones.

Any help would be awesome!