Page 1 of 2
When it comes to metal guitars ibanez is were its at right? I mean there guitars have the bone crushing humbuckers and the harmonic soloing pickups you need to complement the heavy distortion right? Well i heard a guy the other day on a jackson it sounded pretty brutal, was it just luck or are those good for metal too? Also isn't Jackson a Fender brand? And some one tell me if a schecter is a better buy than a ibanez in general.
well technically you can make anything sound brutal with the right gear/mods.

and also you didn't mention ESP!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Jacksons are sick for metal... so are ESPs.... I like to think of Ibanez's as like old shredders... they are good for metal but i see more metla heads with a Jackson or an ESP now.... and Schecter doesn't really make any like low range guitars like fender or epiphone or ibanez does.... all their stuff is good stuff
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by kckyle
yeah if you want a tree trunk for your neck

I think the neck's are perfect, a little bigger than a wizard.. just right. You must really like thin necks if you say there like tree trunks.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Ganshar
When it comes to metal guitars ibanez is were its at right?.
Lot's of metal guitar players play Ibanez, but there is a lot more to the world of guitar than one company.

Quote by Ganshar
I mean there guitars have the bone crushing humbuckers and the harmonic soloing pickups you need to complement the heavy distortion right?
Depends on the model, and guitar makers buy from the same pickup manufactures, and different models have different set ups.

Quote by Ganshar
Well i heard a guy the other day on a jackson it sounded pretty brutal, was it just luck or are those good for metal too? Also isn't Jackson a Fender brand?.

Fender bought Jackson a few years back and yes Jackson is a quality brand.

Quote by Ganshar
And some one tell me if a schecter is a better buy than a ibanez in general.

Guitars are more than the sum of their parts. Just because one guitar has through neck construction or "brand x" pick ups doesn't automatically make it better than another. There's the overall design, the type of wood, the shape of the neck, binding agents, paint and finish, you get the idea. I wouldn't be so focused on brand as most brands have their really nice guitars and their really crappy ones. Go to a guitar store, play a lot of different guitars without looking at the price tag. A few will stand out. Then if they are out of your price range start looking at the lower end versions of that style. That way you'll pick out a guitar that you like, not one that someone else likes.
Quote by BrockTandem
Schecters are the best value for money.

Oh yeah
yeah if you want a tree trunk for your neck
Nope .-.
You never tried a schecter...or your are a ibanez user...or both of them
Schecters have comfy necks to me. I'd love to get one later on down the line.

The LTD series have nice necks as well, I've owned two of them and enjoyed how smooth they play for finished ones.

More a matter of comfort really as opposed to looks.
Quote by rhettro
Lot's of metal guitar players play Ibanez, but there is a lot more to the world of guitar than one company.

Depends on the model, and guitar makers buy from the same pickup manufactures, and different models have different set ups.

Fender bought Jackson a few years back and yes Jackson is a quality brand.

Guitars are more than the sum of their parts. Just because one guitar has through neck construction or "brand x" pick ups doesn't automatically make it better than another. There's the overall design, the type of wood, the shape of the neck, binding agents, paint and finish, you get the idea. I wouldn't be so focused on brand as most brands have their really nice guitars and their really crappy ones. Go to a guitar store, play a lot of different guitars without looking at the price tag. A few will stand out. Then if they are out of your price range start looking at the lower end versions of that style. That way you'll pick out a guitar that you like, not one that someone else likes.

Best post on this thread.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
you just need a guitar with powerful pickups like humbuckers.
they sell a mod pot that with a 9volt battery you can shred like the pros.

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUADROP-DISTORTION-DRIVE-CIRCUIT-FOR-GUITAR-BASS-NEW_W0QQitemZ300260668246QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

just get a few pedals that make nice if you dont want to mod it.

IMO: ibenez is low quality - avoid.
Good guitars with that heavy metal feel include

-Ibanez
-Jackson
-ESP/LTD
-Schecter
-Dean

The model of guitar depends on whether it's better than another or not.

Comparing a Jackson signature with an Ibanez GSR40 (the beginner's guitar), obviously the Jackson wins. But comparing the same Jackson with a JEM7V or a JSM, you have to take into account all of the parts and whether they fit your needs. If you need info on the parts, ask a sales rep. or do research online.
hue
Quote by ZaÐ
Oh yeah Nope .-.
You never tried a schecter...or your are a ibanez user...or both of them

don't go to conclusion so quick. i have tried the schecter hellraiser fr on many occasions. and no i don't own or even played a ibanez, all the guitars i have and had are gibsons and fender.
Quote by BR0THERALEX
you just need a guitar with powerful pickups like humbuckers.
they sell a mod pot that with a 9volt battery you can shred like the pros.

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUADROP-DISTORTION-DRIVE-CIRCUIT-FOR-GUITAR-BASS-NEW_W0QQitemZ300260668246QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

just get a few pedals that make nice if you dont want to mod it.

IMO: ibenez is low quality - avoid.

Make way for the expert guys, he knows his stuff
I'd say Jackson > Ibanez for metal. Anyways, just remember that back in the day, Gibson V's and Fender Strats were used for metal in the early 80's. A Strat with the right humbucker is just as good for metal as any Ibanez tone wise. It just goes to what you want in terms of feel of the body and especially neck so don't go by tone alone in choosing a guitar for metal.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Jacksons, ESP's and BC Rich (IMO) Beat ibanez any day
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
B.C. Rich, Jackson, ibanez, schecter, dean, ESP
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
err... Gibson anyone? Explorers and Les Pauls are great metal guitars as well.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Necrophagist777
I think the neck's are perfect, a little bigger than a wizard.. just right. You must really like thin necks if you say there like tree trunks.

he probably just heard someone say they were like tree trunks and said it to sound cool.

I'd say go with schecter. They have a lot of great quality guitars.
Also, michael kelly is coming out with some new metal guitars, which look like they'll
be amazing.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
he probably just heard someone say they were like tree trunks and said it to sound cool.

I'd say go with schecter. They have a lot of great quality guitars.
Also, michael kelly is coming out with some new metal guitars, which look like they'll
be amazing.

actually i was going for the word bulky cause i had a hard time putting my fingers on the fret and moving up and down the neck. but yeah tree trunks does sounds cooler.
If its shredding your after, Jackson necks kick ass!
Schecters seem to have the specs most of the time, but I've heard the necks are quite thick??
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by Metfan1991
If its shredding your after, Jackson necks kick ass!
Schecters seem to have the specs most of the time, but I've heard the necks are quite thick??

it is. and people are telling me im just saying that cause someone else did. right....
Quote by kckyle
it is. and people are telling me im just saying that cause someone else did. right....

Dude the necks arent thick. I don't know what schecters youve played, but i've played every 6 string hellraiser, a devil custom and a couple omen's. I've had a les paul and there way thinner than LP's. There No Ibanez or jackson but there not thick.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
^ i agree all the schecter 6 strings ive played are a fair amount thinner than my LP
i actually would rather like a c-1+ for my next guitar
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Compared to Jacksons, Ibanez sounds rather thin. So if you want a bone crushing tone, you need a tube amp........ and a Jackson.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
This argument is pretty stupid IMO. No certain guitar company is based on doing metal better then the other. Guitars sound different from eachother, and are all made with different materials. When it all comes down to it, it's just what each person prefers.

For the Schecter neck, I think they're a bit bulky for my taste as well.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Dude the necks arent thick. I don't know what schecters youve played, but i've played every 6 string hellraiser, a devil custom and a couple omen's. I've had a les paul and there way thinner than LP's. There No Ibanez or jackson but there not thick.

ok fine, i do admit it is thinner then the les paul's 50s neck. but it still feels bulky to my taste. and the schecter i played on was a 6 string hellraiser with floyd rose.i probably spent a good amount of time on it consider i'm too lazy to bring my guitar over to his house and he likes to jam on his strat more
One isnt really better than the other, as said before.
They each excel in different areas, and some might not be as good
at certain things.

The only way for you to find out which one is 'better', is to
go try them out.

I would take jackson over ibanez or schecter any day, but thats cause i like the neck, the body and the overall construction of them more than ibanez or schecter guitars.

And yes Jackson is owned by Fender now, but that doesnt mean they tried to make
jacksons like fenders, they still are a great versatile guitar that does well for metal.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
cool thx for the help, and i this time was was brain washed about ibanez. Looking at these jackson's what guitar would have a good pickup setting for a rhythm guitar and what would be good for a lead/soloing guitar. I only ask because i cant get to GC till this weekend and i want to know what to start playing with when i get there.
Last edited by Ganshar at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by Ganshar
cool thx for the help, and i this time was was brain washed about ibanez. Looking at these jackson's what guitar would have a good pickup setting for a rhythm guitar and what would be good for a lead/soloing guitar. I only ask because i cant get to GC till this weekend and i want to know what to start playing with when i get there.

All Jacksons are versatile for Rhythm and Lead playing. I'd try stay away from the JS series because I don't think you're a beginner.

Any of the MG series are good, they all have EMG 81/85 set up so that's ideal.

Pro series guitars have Seymour Duncan passives in them and different setups.
I quite like the DK2 and DK2M models, DK2M has two humbuckers and a very very nice maple neck. It's so smooth. DK2 has (i think) rosewood, and S/S/H Set up, it's very nice to play as well.

The soloist guitars are pretty good, Soloist is a good name because solos are such a dream to play on every single one. Nice warm lead, or nice attacking face melting solo tone. good for metal, good for blues. Jackson guitars are very versatile.

The best thing to do would find a place that has lots of Fenders, because chances are they have lots of Jacksons. I'd call up and ask first, then if they do, drive there and have a little play.

If you have a lot of money then the American Jacksons are SO DAMN DREAMY!
I found they outplay ESP quite a bit. But that's my opinion and since I'm fairly biased then yeah..
Last edited by signedinbloodnz at Sep 29, 2008,
If you are going to buy a Jackson make sure, like with any brand, you don't get one of their cheap models they are horrible. Likewise if you go for Ibanez, get a Prestige made in Japan and ESP not LTD if you can afford it, there is a massive difference in quality and you will have a guitar that you can keep for years and won't depreciate should you want to sell in the future.

Just my 2c!
Quote by TimBFMV
Jacksons, ESP's and BC Rich (IMO) Beat ibanez any day

This is where you failed.

I own a warlock. I love the feel but I the sound is lacking. Durability is off too. It's all banged up lol.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TheBodomBullet
This is where you failed.

I own a warlock. I love the feel but I the sound is lacking. Durability is off too. It's all banged up lol.

BC Rich makes good guitars too.

And you can use any guitar you'd like for metal, it's not written in stone.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude

BC Rich makes good guitars too.

And you can use any guitar you'd like for metal, it's not written in stone.

For sure.

Just my experience.
Then again it might be my brainfart of an amp...
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TheBodomBullet
For sure.

Just my experience.
Then again it might be my brainfart of an amp...

It IS most likely your brainfart amp.
BC RICHes are good for alot of stuff, you just need to tweak your settings a bit.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by guitarnoize
If you are going to buy a Jackson make sure, like with any brand, you don't get one of their cheap models they are horrible. Likewise if you go for Ibanez, get a Prestige made in Japan and ESP not LTD if you can afford it, there is a massive difference in quality and you will have a guitar that you can keep for years and won't depreciate should you want to sell in the future.

Just my 2c!

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Page 1 of 2