Dudes, im in high school and me & some mates just jam together, etc etc.

But now we're looking at trying to build on that, play some gigs in a few months, etc.

The only problem is, we don't have a vocalist. We have everything else, 2 guitars, bass n drums, but no vocals.

We're trying to look for someone, but we dont really know how to find, or choose a vocalist
Noone else would do it in my first band, so I just said I would.

You should all give it a go (except the drummer) and see who sounds best.
Everyone give it a go.

I just searched around, then decided to join choir, so now a friend and I both sing out band.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by lolcats

This. Although I disagree on the drummer part, it's worth a try.
If everything sounds terrible, you can ask around to see who can sing, or hold auditions.
Quote by ShaunDiel
This. Although I disagree on the drummer part, it's worth a try.
If everything sounds terrible, you can ask around to see who can sing, or hold auditions.

Never give the drummer a mic. It'll only end in tears.

Regardless, the more you sing, the better you'll get. It helps if you play an instrument and have a reasonable ear too.
how about learning to sing? u know how to play the guitar so u can do the same for singing.
Quote by lolcats
Never give the drummer a mic. It'll only end in tears.

Regardless, the more you sing, the better you'll get. It helps if you play an instrument and have a reasonable ear too.

pretty sure the drummer from underoath sings the clean parts..
Quote by lolcats

Yeah how about Aaron Gillespie, Don Henley, Phil Collins, I guess they should have never gave them a mic.
I'm looking for a good female vocalist for my band too (good vocalists are already hard to find, and a female one is even harder!!)...
So it hasn't been very easy lately... Just gotta keep looking....
Quote by Callicut
Yeah how about Aaron Gillespie, Don Henley, Phil Collins, I guess they should have never gave them a mic.

Mike Portnoy is a pretty decent singer too, he's definitely a good back-up singer.
Quote by Callicut

Phil Collins is a brilliant singer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a flyer in the choir room and wait for a call if anyone there is interested.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by af_the_fragile
Phil Collins is a brilliant singer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was being sarcastic dude. And if you were as well then shame on me in advance.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
He was being sarcastic dude. And if you were as well then shame on me in advance.

Aah, i just read his post n didn't really care to notice in what context he said it...
Quote by af_the_fragile
Aah, i just read his post n didn't really care to notice in what context he said it...

Yea, read more carefully next time. Do you have reading glasses?
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Yea, read more carefully next time. Do you have reading glasses?

nah, just attention deficit!
Quote by af_the_fragile
nah, just attention deficit!

Well, I suggest getting reading glasses and using them regularly then.
No, I was being sarcastic to the dude who said never give a drummer the mic. I think those three people are brilliant singers and drummers, and I said that to prove him wrong.
Usually eccentric people with charismatic personalities have a natural talent for band fronting. Ask all the people you know with a lot of charisma to have a shot at an audition.

But don't take the most eccentric person you know, because lead singers get controlling, no matter what you do.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by Callicut
No, I was being sarcastic to the dude who said never give a drummer the mic. I think those three people are brilliant singers and drummers, and I said that to prove him wrong.

Yes, I know, that's what I was trying to point out to that raving imbecile. FFS
Well back to the original question, you should check every website possible, this includes myspace, bandmix.com, craigslist, there might be someone right under your nose. You could also try posting flyers. Get it out there.
Honestly, your vocalist doesn't have to be able to sing. So just offer to do it yourself, if you feel comfortable doing it.

I can't sing, and I offered to be the vocalist in a few of my bands. As long as they have some stage presence and their voice isn't annoying, give it a go.

That's what happened with me, and now I've been recruited to be a vocalist for a few bands. None of them worked out though, and I'm building a new one as we speak.

The vocalist, in a lot of people's opinions, is there to put on a show. A lot of times bands with a really good sounding singer will put on a horrible show. I am not that great of a vocalist, but I got my jobs by being a great performer. Well, actually I got most of my jobs because I'm a pretty good songwriter, but I kept all my jobs because I was a good performer, and got a couple of them that way too.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
Last edited by dethskar0 at Sep 29, 2008,
If any of your bandnis in, or has access to a choir, its like a shop window of vocalists, i found a singer for my new metal band in one of the soprano's in the school chamber choir
Quote by lolcats

don henley?
just gotta search around and definately try out lots of people, better to try out lots and find the best than settle on the first person you find.
if you wanna avoid the lead singer controlling aspect a bit, id say either have someone already in your band sing, or even multiple, i mean having 2 or 3 people singing can be very effective, for lots of types of music.

my opinion is that its better to have a singer who also plays an instrument, or at least some musical capacity to write songs, ie knows how to play an instrument but doesnt play it in the band, cos otherwise you tend to get the controlling type of singer who wants you to write a song that fits the lyrics he wrote, and i can forsee that being not much fun for you.

but yesh this is just my opinion
nothing.
We had the same problem, but our bassist started singing and after a while it sounded great, and the drummer is singing backup vocals now, so I agree with everyone just trying.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
i think stage presence is equally important to vocal quality but not more.

no one likes a sht singer so look for an above average, fun, interestingly bizarre person who won't end up ruining your sound but will contribute and change it enough to fit in

I am a vocalist by the way
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated