Just like the title reads, what's an easy way to tighten up distortion?

Is it proper EQ settings that I'm missing, is it a pedal of some kind?

Also, while I'm asking questions, what's a good noise gate that won't suck tone out of your guitar?
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
it's an eq setting thing, and its a pedal thing.
from your sig I gather that you're using a VT with the HT-Dual?
Honestly, those pedals aren't that great. I was unable to coax a nice sound out of one after 30mins of fiddling.

And an ISP Decimator is the noise gate you want.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Normally an OD pedal like a Tubescreamer, or Bad Monkey, or Maxon can be used to boost the normal amp's overdrive. However, I'm not sure how that would work on your amps. I have 1 clip of an OD pedal in front of a SS amp. (Frontman 212).

I'm not super familiar with the VT's clean channel. Personally, I would work toward a new amp fund.
Yeah, I bought it after testing it at the store, and it sounded nice, but I think I might return it because I've been playing with the sound and I can't get what I want since replacing my pickups, and get a Fulltone OCD.

I just want some TIGHT and CRUNCHY distortion, not fuzzy stuff.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Normally an OD pedal like a Tubescreamer, or Bad Monkey, or Maxon can be used to boost the normal amp's overdrive. However, I'm not sure how that would work on your amps. I have 1 clip of an OD pedal in front of a SS amp. (Frontman 212).

I'm not super familiar with the VT's clean channel. Personally, I would work toward a new amp fund.

The amp was a present from my Grandfather, and the clean channel is actually VERY good. The amps that it models are pretty good (I especially like the really overdriven AC30 sound), but a lot of them have some fuzzy distortion.

(btw the amp has a tube preamp, I don't know if that makes a difference or not)
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yep...

it does a decent copy of the AC30 and has a preamp tube but -

....it is not the same. Keep it tho. Grandfather owned. I'm just saying...

I know I LOVE the amp, I'm not so sure that I'm happy with the Blackstar that I bought though...gotta go back to GC and check some other stuff out.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1