I'm going to be making an EP for my Senior Project. I would like to put my cover of Motion Picture Soundtrack by Radiohead on it. Do I have to get permission to do this, or do I just have to give Radiohead credit for the song? I do plan on trying to distribute this EP if possible.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I think you just have to credit them. Besides, i dont think its a big deal...
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I'm going to be making an EP for my Senior Project. I would like to put my cover of Motion Picture Soundtrack by Radiohead on it. Do I have to get permission to do this, or do I just have to give Radiohead credit for the song? I do plan on trying to distribute this EP if possible.

Unless you sign a contract and pay them for it you're ****ed.

Especially considering their record company owns the songs not them, so yeah, you're ****ed if you do that, you could try getting in contact with the band's manager and appealling to their better nature but success is unlikely.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I think it depends on the copyright laws in your country, pays to check them out or your bank account could lose a few pounds.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
If you are earning money off of it you have to have a signed agreement with the owner's of the copyright.
Thanks guys, I'll make sure I try and get in touch with the right people.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Technically you have to have written permission if you plan to make money off of it, but it's not like they're going to single you out and sue you.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

To be honest, I don't think it'll matter. Yes, legally speaking, you have to get permission (I assume), from Radiohead and their label.

But I don't think anyone's going to come after you if you don't. It's just a senior project.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
its all bout money, if youre gunna make money off it, you need permission/contract, if no money is to be made, your probably in the clear
normally you'd have to pay them royalties, but the profit you make on the EP will be so small that they won't even bother. the lawsuit would cost more than it's worth. However, if you somehow hit it big and use the cover on a debut album, you might want to go back and get your shit straight.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

yea you should get permission and pay for a license.

You could also make some original music (or contact a studio to do something for you).

FreePlayMusic is a good source for audio tracks but you will also have to spend money on a license from them as well if you plan to profit from the product. For youtube or non-profit use you can simply put the FPM URL in your credits.
better safe then sorry get permission
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
If you make money off of it, you have to pay them royalties.

Solution: give it away for free.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i was wondering the same thing.. but just in covering a song live. or having a cover on a myspace.. would you still need permission for that? or just give credit?
Quote by Boogie Man
Unless you sign a contract and pay them for it you're ****ed.

Especially considering their record company owns the songs not them, so yeah, you're ****ed if you do that, you could try getting in contact with the band's manager and appealling to their better nature but success is unlikely.

Because someone is totally gonna find out what you're doing and tell radiohead that you covered their song without permission for a school project and they're gonna come and get you.
Because they have nothing better to worry about than some kid's school project.

I don't think Radiohead are like that anyway, to be honest. I mean they put their album up on the internet for free, do you think they're really going to want the few dollars they could get from suing you?

And you can cover a band live without permission, but you can't put covers on MySpace without permission.
Last edited by wombifat at Sep 29, 2008,
Yeah, you wouldn't have to worry about all the permission stuff if you cover something off in rainbows, since that was released under creative commons.

That's why I'm going to put 'Nude' on my EP, no hassle and no worries of a lawsuit.
It all depends on the band. For instance, whoever currently has the rights to Black Sabbath's music doesn't care about what you do with there music as long as you don't distribute it to a large amount of people or make any money off of it without permission.
like has been said... just credit them and youre good for school-related things. dont believe me? read:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/110.html

for covers and distributing im not 100% sure, read above. i know you can cover live without worry. honestly unless you get huge i dont think its going to be a problem either way.
Last edited by Divided_Eye at Sep 29, 2008,