OK im into metal but im thinking of making a metalcore band,

what things should i learn to play this genre well?
im into Bullet for my valentine the best,

i know how to palm mute and alternate pick,

im thinking i should learn how to play some small ballad-like stuff right??

but what scales should i also learn? i know the minor pentatonic scale and the blues scale
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Just a quick tip, if you're going to play metalcore (or any type of metal really), it helps a lot to be able to alternate pick WHILE palm muting. Takes a bit of getting used to but it does make things easier.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Just a quick tip, if you're going to play metalcore (or any type of metal really), it helps a lot to be able to alternate pick WHILE palm muting. Takes a bit of getting used to but it does make things easier.

too true... also string skipping also comes in very handy, and (depending on what style you're going after to "copy" ) maybe also some slight tremolo picking (though it's not that needed)
Learn to alternate pick really well. Work on your pinch harmonics. Learn some As I Lay Dying songs, good place to start.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Down picking.

One of the biggest parts of most modern metal and especially metalcore is having a good, relaxed and fast downpicking technique so you'll need to work on that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
iff your starting the band maybe dont specify genre as finely as metalcore who knows you might go out and make a new sub genre of metal. also lean the natural minor scale which is used extensively in metal music tune down and hit the open e string alot its not really that difficult to get the hang of

use down and alternate picking down picking can help to get a reallly chunky clean sound and is good to use in breakdowns
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
You must be familiar with older, famous Swedish melodic metal musicians such as In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates. A vast majority of metalcore riffs come from these bands. Chugging and being able to creat breakdowns is also a necessity. There you go. That should get you through creating a metalcore band.
Get your right hand good with rhythms, palm muting and alternating picking. You left hand should have decent legato skill and tapping might help. I would learn a few BFMV songs and As I Lay Dying then find your own sound from there.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Korosu
You must be familiar with older, famous Swedish melodic metal musicians such as In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates. A vast majority of metalcore riffs come from these bands. Chugging and being able to creat breakdowns is also a necessity. There you go. That should get you through creating a metalcore band.

I'm not even sure you need that much depth; just listen to Slaughter of the Soul on repeat for a few years and you'll get the idea.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Get your right hand good with rhythms, palm muting and alternating picking. You left hand should have decent legato skill and tapping might help. I would learn a few BFMV songs and As I Lay Dying then find your own sound from there.

lol dude, in flames is damn awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you guys give any good scales to learn?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
lol dude, in flames is damn awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you guys give any good scales to learn?

Pentatonic and Natural Minor and learn to harmonize well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
in addition to everything else mentioned in this thread, you have to learn how to spell "br00talz":

br00tal (with or without the suffixes "z" or "s")- acceptable

brootal (with or without the suffixes "z" or "s")- acceptable

brutal- not acceptable

seriously, though, learn good vibrato technique, the minor scale, pinches (with heavy vibrato), phrygian and locrian modes...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ refrigianorator and lokri4n mod3z?

wutdafux?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hahaha, I thought they liked harmonic minor scales as well, but I could be wrong. . . maybe it's just me that likes using the harmonic minor scale for leads. . . . it wasn't an intended use at first. . . . i mean, Harmonic. . . emphasizing harmonic. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Down picking.

One of the biggest parts of most modern metal and especially metalcore is having a good, relaxed and fast downpicking technique so you'll need to work on that.

very very true.

Try some All that Remains and some Black Dahlia Murder. Down picking hell man \m/ i f*cking love it