Hi everyone, im buying a new amp, and i've been offered a 1986 Mesa Boogie Mark III 80w with reverb. The guy who's selling it (he has been the only owner) has kept it in great condition, and has changed the tubes annually. My query to everyone here is what would be a fair asking price for this amp?; he is asking $2000 Australian ($1,636 USD; 1,141 EUR).

If i buy this amp, i will be playing my yamaha sa2200 through it: beautiful.
Thanks to anyone who replies, cheers, Harry.
I've heard they go for as less as $700 USD over here used, try talking it down a bit, but I guess it's worth as much as it is because you say he's kept it in great condition for so long, It's your call though, otherwise, sounds like a great setup what kind of cab are you gonna play it through?
oh sorry i should have said, its a combo amp so wont need a cab
oh and i also forgot that that price includes a custom made road case. my bad, terrible memory i have
dude, the way i like to bargain with people inside australia, is that "I can get this item in from overseas and including the postage it'll cost me 300 bucks less".... i think u can try out a mind game? lol... but yea, Mark III's are amazing amps, my ex band's, ex fellow guitarist had one, lol.

I dunno how you're yamaha plays,and a little specs would help us know what stuff u play or how u want ur sound to come out...

cheers, Izzy
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
^^no problem
hmmm, I think it's a pretty solid deal, but I think you'd be better off getting someone else's opinion as well
And as far as im concerned, theres not much more to refreshing an old tube amp than changing the tubes!~
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
thanks for your replies monster,and solitary. Yamaha is a semi-hollow guitar that is a breeze to play. I have the action set quite low, and im currently jazz-oriented, though when im jamming i tend to revert to blues-based improv quite a bit. So, summarily, i'll be using mainly the cleans for the jazz, with a little bit of crunch when playing blues. That said, i still use distortion on occasion; im actually looking to start a band that combines clean, warm jazzy tones, with pretty intense distorted segments ha

In reply to solitary: yeah youre right im trying to get a few opinions; im pressed for time though, as the guy wants to sell in the next 48 hours, as he needs the funds to purchase another amp, which is, likewise, available for a short amount of time. ha
Quote by MonsterOfRock
And as far as im concerned, theres not much more to refreshing an old tube amp than changing the tubes!~

Capacitors may have to be changed. Someone named Pete over in Perth had his Mark IV's capacitors blow and he has had to spend a grand + to repair it.

But, it sounds like a good deal.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
Capacitors may have to be changed. Someone named Pete over in Perth had his Mark IV's capacitors blow and he has had to spend a grand + to repair it.

But, it sounds like a good deal.

now thats something I never came across with... but yea... good food for though. yea, its a good deal.

Now it might sound wierd, but last time I bought an amp, I took my guitar and the entire pedalboard to the store to try the amps out... Theres food for though as well! :P
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q