Poll Options
View poll results: Yay or Nay?
Yes, I would like a guitar with an interchangable pickup system
30 81%
No, I would not like a guitar with an interchangable pickup system
7 19%
Voters: 37.
Simple yes or no question
Would you be interested in owning a guitar with an interchangeable pickup system? It would have a bridge that was easy to lock away from the body so you could lift up the strings, and then clip-on locks in the pickup cavity so you could change pickups in a matter of seconds. Yay or nay?

(tech coursework)

Cheers Xx

EDIT: could you leave a brief idea of why you would or wouldn't like the guitar? Thankyous.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Last edited by DigUpHerBones at Sep 29, 2008,
Well, yeah, why not. As far as I know the EMGs are kind of similar, as you can swap their pickups easily without any soldering. Still it'd be cool to swap between pickups of different brands quickly, soldering isn't hard but it'd be more convenient.
I would. In fact, I was talking to my friend earlier about how we could do it cheaply and not affect the sound of the pickups.
^ Aye, but the exam board won't

I'd also plan to make it cheaper than $1500, and not made of Plexiglas.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Having a pickup that can be removable might amount to tone that's not as strong though (as well as that bridge could result in less sustain)

That being said, if it works, for sure.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
Having a pickup that can be removable might amount to tone that's not as strong though (as well as that bridge could result in less sustain)

That being said, if it works, for sure.

Doubt that would really happen since pickups work by sensing disturbances in the magnetic fields that they create. The only ones i believe might be affected are piezo pickups that work by sensing the vibrations on the guitar's body.

And to answer TS: Yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Though i'm not quite sure on the bridge thing. I think that might be a bit difficult and unconvenient.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i have always dreamed of owning such guitars.
but it's a little different here. you don't need to lift your bridge, strings or anything. the body has a sloping cavity down towards the pickups so you can just "slide" them out after you removed the solder and unscrew the related screws. it will have no pickup rings or some specially designed ones.
^ Could I steal your ideas?

I'm not actually making the guitar, unfortunately, it'll only exist on paper. Could have pickup rings with one of the sides having a hinge so you can open it (and the hinge would be unnoticeable if you're not opening it) and slip out the pickup.
^ Fairy nuft
Why not make a removable back plate that you could attach various mounts for different pick up shapes and a piece of wood or some color matched plastic between the pick ups as well?
Yes I would. It would lovely. I would have jazzy pickups, and then I would switch them for brutal metal ones.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Ampeg and Gibson both already make guitars that do exactly this. Though the Gibson version is even easier.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'd love to have the Dan Armstrong It's a cool idea if well done
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby