Does anyone know of any companies that make a 7-string guitar, but which doesn't have the usual ultra-thin neck and huge frets? I don't like necks to be any thicker than a standard Fender Strat neck, and I don't like the fret wire to be much bigger than that used on most Les Pauls either.

What I'm basically after is:
- 7 strings
- medium or thick neck profile
- medium or low fret wire
- fixed bridge of any kind
- mahogany, basswood or alder body (nothing bright-toned like ash or maple)
- preferably super-Strat shaped
- Price limit is about £600. Could go to another £100 if it was the only option, but generally £600 is the limit.

I've tried looking myself of course, but all I can find are the typical Ibanez Wizard necks (which I've owned before and cramped up my hand, those are far too thin) and a couple of ESP's which also seem to have very slim necks. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: and I know I could get a custom build from Warmoth. That'd be out of my price range though, and in the past when I've dealt with them I've found them to be very rude, so I'd rather not use them again...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Some kind of Schecter would be a good choice I believe
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
Some kind of Schecter would be a good choice I believe

Agreed.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
all the schecter 7s have round necks.

omen 7
C7
C7 floyd rose
C7 hellraiser
C7 hellraiser floyd rose
Damien 7
Damien 7 floyd rose
007 elite

that's all the schecter 7s i can remember off the top of my head. every last one within your budget if i'm not mistaken.
Last edited by daryle_goh at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by MrFlibble
Does anyone know of any companies that make a 7-string guitar, but which doesn't have the usual ultra-thin neck and huge frets?...
I'd offer you my SC for a steal, but your in the UK and thats probably not going to work too well for either of us... Unfortunately the big fret thing is something you're going to have to accept. I can't think of any 7s advertised without jumbos.

Of what is available these days, I'd say Schecter is probably your best bet. The Hellraiser 7s are fantastic IMHO. The 26.5" scale length feels great and the necks are very comfortable. The glossy finish is an acquired taste, but the shape of the neck is very nice.

The Ibanez 7321 is also none too shabby. The neck isn't as thin as you might think. Don't go by what Ibanez lists or tells you, go wrap your hand around it, you'll see what I mean
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
you may be able to find a uli jon roth 7-string sky guitar copy somewhere, they're pretty tasty. schecters are pretty good
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Looks like Schecter then! I'll look into Carvin too. Thanks people.

Quote by jm1681

The Ibanez 7321 is also none too shabby. The neck isn't as thin as you might think. Don't go by what Ibanez lists or tells you, go wrap your hand around it, you'll see what I mean
The site says it's a Wizard II neck? I've already got an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck and it's so thin it physically hurts to play for any more than a couple of minutes. And I hear the regular Wizard neck is even thinner... so yeah, I'm staying clear of Ibanez...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The site also says this...

http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGA321F

...has three pickups.

All I'm saying is you may want to take the specs on the site with a grain of salt and just take a second to put your hand on it. I've played a lot of 7321s, and none of them felt uncomfortably thin (So we are clear on this, if I had my way, every guitar in the world would come with PRS's wide/fat neck ).

Regardless, if you go with Schecter or Carvin you're far from being in a bad place. Perhaps a more expensive place, but definitely not a bad place
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"