Hey there guys. Im sorry if this is in the wrong section(please move if it is)

Ive had my valve amp for the past 3 months and it was fine until last nite.

I have the AVC Class A EL34 Valve amplifier.

Last nite it was switched on (not playing anything) and i was listning to music through my headphones directly from my soundcard.

All of a sudden there was a massive bang and the amp just turned itself off.

the amp was brand new when brought so i dont see what could of happened.

I havnt been blasting the thing or playing it excessively loud it just seemed to happen

all of the valves look fine and the amp looks fine inside? No burnt wires or resistors.

the amp has 40w per channel.

ive also tried various different power leads and fuses but to no use.

Do you guys have any ideas of what this could be and is there a way i can find out what the problem is.

thanks guys and all of your help will be greatly appreciated.

for the meanwhile ive had to revert back to my sad sad logitech desktop speakers and sub and it sounds nasty lol.

and ideas guys

Thanks alot

Rhys jones
thanks for you reply m8. So when the tubes go does this mean the amp doesnt even power on? as the green light on the switch isnt even comming on when i turn it on.

thanks

Rhys
What amp?

Normally, if a power tube blows it will blow the power fuse but not the main amp fuse. So the amp should at least turn on. Sounds like you have a different problem tho. You also mentioned 'changing out fuses' or whatever. My suggestion is to NOT try and change the power fuse yourself. Good way to die. Take it in.

Also, just to clarify - you did not have headphones or laptop plugged into amp right?
A loud bang? That sounds like a cap exploded. Take it to a tech.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
thanks for your help guys. nah i mean ive tried the fuses on the plugs lol .

also its a avc amp. el34

nah no laptop plugged in to it.

heres how its setup

Comp -> Audiophile 2496 -> Phono Leads To Amp

yeah it was quite loud.

U know when u turn on a valve amp u get that kinda clonking sound? it was like that but 5 times as loud

thanks

rhys
hi there guys. ive now noticed that one of the tubes on the top of it has gone like a white grey colour. its the part that has the black oil-looking coating on it. does this help any more?

thanks alot. rhys jones
Quote by WbDappa
hi there guys. ive now noticed that one of the tubes on the top of it has gone like a white grey colour. its the part that has the black oil-looking coating on it. does this help any more?

thanks alot. rhys jones

When the barium coating turns that color, it means that there is no longer a vacuum in the tube. There is your problem
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups