theres a few im thinking of

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=193&CategoryID=10

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=801&CategoryID=10

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=537&CategoryID=10

i really love the tone of the two Jimi pedals separately, but im edging more towards the Fulltone Octafuzz, mainly because of 2 in 1 option with it. not too educated on Fuzz pedals, so if anyone has any experience with the pedals ive linked or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
What kind of tone are you looking for, and what's your budget?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
that crushy hendrixy type tone, lots of saturation. i really like the Fuzz Face, but i do want to have the octave up tone too. i can wait for the cash to build up, so price really isn't that big a deal, within reason. i'll give that Zvex a look
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Well, I own a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, which is Hendrix's exact silicon fuzz face, and it pretty much is Hendrix in a box.

Then again, you want the Octave up, I'm pretty sure you can set the Fuzz Factory as a sort of octavier.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
if you know how to use a soldering iron, building a fuzzface is like $30 of parts with the enclosure included so I err over spending $150 on it :-/
...and it can do the thick hendrixy fuzz thing perfectly (I don't have any guitar with single coils but it does Sunshine of your Love perfectly)

Quote by rhcp_freak
Then again, you want the Octave up, I'm pretty sure you can set the Fuzz Factory as a sort of octavier.

though many people say its a hard beast to domesticate, especially if you're gigging, the settings move around all over the place
Quote by seljer
if you know how to use a soldering iron, building a fuzzface is like $30 of parts with the enclosure included so I err over spending $150 on it :-/
...and it can do the thick hendrixy fuzz thing perfectly (I don't have any guitar with single coils but it does Sunshine of your Love perfectly)

though many people say its a hard beast to domesticate, especially if you're gigging, the settings move around all over the place

Yeah, it's hard to get a good fuzz for anything under about $120ish, so you might as well build a fuzz face clone.

And yeah, the Factory is quite dodgy, and most of the tones you get on it you wouldn't actually use much.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
yeh i seen the Fuzz Face thread on here, never went through it though because ive never done anything like that, but if its pretty straight forward i might give it a shot, parts all come as a package? or do you have to get them yourself?
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
yeh i seen the Fuzz Face thread on here, never went through it though because ive never done anything like that, but if its pretty straight forward i might give it a shot, parts all come as a package? or do you have to get them yourself?

there are a couple of place that sell kits but those are usually like $80
if you get the parts yourself you could do it for much less
was looking through buldyourownclone.com

they have a cool kit for an octave fuzz pedal with an octave off switch on it, looks pretty cool

imagine life without the internet!
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded

they have a cool kit for an octave fuzz pedal with an octave off switch on it, looks pretty cool

I'm intrigued! Does anyone have any experience with these kits in terms of the quality of components and all that?
Quote by Nims
I'm intrigued! Does anyone have any experience with these kits in terms of the quality of components and all that?

I don't have much experience, but I'm assuming they're pretty damn good.

It is a lot cheaper to source all the parts yourself though.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
I don't have much experience, but I'm assuming they're pretty damn good.

It is a lot cheaper to source all the parts yourself though.

I assume you can get all the resistors/caps/diodes etc from digikey or something... are the pots just standard pots? What about the PCB and the housing? I'd love to do something like this completely from scratch but I know next to nothing about these particulars.
Quote by Nims
I assume you can get all the resistors/caps/diodes etc from digikey or something... are the pots just standard pots? What about the PCB and the housing? I'd love to do something like this completely from scratch but I know next to nothing about these particulars.

people have made plenty of layouts of various guitar circuits on veroboard or perfboard

housing: most of the various electronics sites sell enclosures, search for "hammond 1590", the 1590B is more or less the small MXR box

or just be creative and use whatever you find (candy tins are fun)
Quote by Zeds.Ded

The BYOC Octave fuzz isn't really a Hendrix-y pedal. It's a good pedal, but doesn't really do that sound; it's more crazy, biting and sharp (in a good way). Personally, I think the Fulltone Octafuzz gives a great Hendrix tone, although that's not really my thing.

Quote by Nims

Yeah, they use good quality components, and give you great instructions.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by Nims

Pots are pretty much standard, for the circuit board, you can either use a PCB for that specific pedal, or you can use veroboard or perfboard and follow a layout of the schematic. You could probably find a housing on ebay or banzaieffects or something like that for fairly cheap. You might be able to find one in your local electronics store too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by monkey_dancer
The BYOC Octave fuzz isn't really a Hendrix-y pedal. It's a good pedal, but doesn't really do that sound; it's more crazy, biting and sharp (in a good way). Personally, I think the Fulltone Octafuzz gives a great Hendrix tone, although that's not really my thing.

Yeah, they use good quality components, and give you great instructions.

I don't suppose you have soundclips of this pedal?
Quote by Nims
I don't suppose you have soundclips of this pedal?

No... I could do some if you want, although there are a couple (I think) on the BYOC forums. Try the BYOC Octave Fuzz Forum: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=e3501c0d64b2adea5d548b77d5cdc151

If you want another clip, give me a PM and I'll see what I can do, although I don't have a great mic.

EDIT: After playing around just now, I did get a sort of Hendrix-ish sound with it (not that close, though)... I suppose its mainly because I've never tried to do it before, not being a huge Hendrix fan.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Sep 29, 2008,