Page 1 of 2
i am thinking about becoming a Airline Pilot. Does anyone have any advice on how to become a pilot??
You need money, and lots of it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Practice a lot with flight simulator, grow a beard, become member of a certain religion and there you go.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Poor man's version...
Step 1: Hijack plane
Step 2: Successfully land plane
Step 3: Ask for a job
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Ok, im only 16, but i already can fly solo and flying is in my family and my dads a pilot so i kinda know what its all about, basically, have you got any flying experience at all? and any visual impediments will not let you be a fighter pilot, but im not so sure about airline pilot, you will have to check that on your own.
So two questions, any flying experience, and any visual impediments?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Join the RAF, most airline pilots are former RAF pilots.

edit: also I hear a degree in aeronautical engineering is also useful.
you want to join a local flying club, take lessons there (thats costly), stick in at school big time, top grades in maths and science right up to A-level

a degree in engineering would come in handy

the flying club would tell you all you need to know really

you'll only succeed if youre uber uber serious
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Sep 29, 2008,
A friend of mine wants to do the same and he has flying lessons and also ground school lessons.

It's a lot of money but he loves flying and wants to become commercial airline pilot after uni.

He's been doing it for about 3 years and he's 17 now. Get flying lessons and they will tell you.

Edit: This guy has it ^

You will only get in if you have top grades in academic subjects and are 100% committed.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Gettin in the RAF is crap hard mate anyway, you can be an amazing pilot but if ur not short then ur screwed, seriously, what type of flying have you done before?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by scouser92
There is a chance of me getting killed in RAF :S
There is a chance of you getting killed crossing the street, hell, there's a chance of getting killed flying commercial airliners too.

If you're that scared of getting killed better get back under the duvet.
Quote by scouser92
Got Highers in maths physics english pe ? All B and A's

Yeah that should be good.

Look into aviation schools. local flying lessons and the like if you are really serious.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by freedoms_stain
Join the RAF, most airline pilots are former RAF pilots.

edit: also I hear a degree in aeronautical engineering is also useful.

****ing sweet, thats me sorted!
i just finished my Aero-Engineering Apprenticeship on Friday.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by freedoms_stain
There is a chance of you getting killed crossing the street, hell, there's a chance of getting killed flying commercial airliners too.

If you're that scared of getting killed better get back under the duvet.

I am talking about the RAF tho, Getting shot at you know???
Hmmm ok you seem to be ignoring me. Basically, heres some stuff u need to know:
Flying a commercial airliner isnt flying, its watching, computers do it ALL (well most of it other than emergencies and very first bit of takeoff and the very last bit of landing, yes u need to be able to fly, but you dont get to do much of it.
If you have no flying experience in terms of being in control of a plane i suggest you get off ur ass and go take some taster lessons or w.e, cos i have a friend whos fanatic about flyin but shat himself when he got in control of the thing
You need to be clever, but cos of ur results so far im takin that you are clever already
Flight simulator is a gd basis, but if your practising on that, make sure you change the settings to realistic at least, pleease, its not all that real, although it does give you the basics of just about everything, theres special extra bits that you dont get on FS
Learning to fly is EXPENSIVE, luckily for me, i joined a scheme on my 14th birthday and i get free lessons, and free flying, and free rental, i only have to pay the actual launch fee, i know gliding is a different game to powered flight, but its a gd start for my age, im just saying, find a scheme that will help with the finance
And find a current airline pilot to get in touch with, ask him, not UG, ug is good for nothing other than guitar or a random laff
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Last edited by chippythingy at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by scouser92
You live in Glasgow dude, it's like the 2nd highest murder capital in Europe.
Quote by scouser92

You sound like my grandad.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
All it takes to fly is money and horsepower.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by chippythingy
Flying a commercial airliner isnt flying, its watching, computers do it ALL (well most of it other than emergencies and very first bit of takeoff and the very last bit of landing, yes u need to be able to fly, but you dont get to do much of it.
If you have no flying experience in terms of being in control of a plane i suggest you get off ur ass and go take some taster lessons or w.e, cos i have a friend whos fanatic about flyin but shat himself when he got in control of the thing
You need to be clever, but cos of ur results so far im takin that you are clever already
Flight simulator is a gd basis, but if your practising on that, make sure you change the settings to realistic at least, pleease, its not all that real, although it does give you the basics of just about everything, theres special extra bits that you dont get on FS
Learning to fly is EXPENSIVE, luckily for me, i joined a scheme on my 14th birthday and i get free lessons, and free flying, and free rental, i only have to pay the actual launch fee, i know gliding is a different game to powered flight, but its a gd start for my age, im just saying, find a scheme that will help with the finance
And find a current airline pilot to get in touch with, ask him, not UG, ug is good for nothing other than guitar or a random laff

There is some intellegent people on here though, and could i not go through university? any degrees i could do and then a company like british airways would train me up?
Quote by chippythingy

This.
Quote by chippythingy

I always ignore pilots.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
To be honest, id find out ASAP what degree you could use, im sure all sorts of things such as physical geography, aerospace engineering, maths, phsysics would get u into flying somehow, and some universities have flying schemes
for example, theres a uni in london where the students come over to my local gliding club to teach gliding in exchange for free flying, and i think my sister mentioned there being a flying club in her uni (liverpool). so im sure that u could learn to fly via university, get an appropriate degree, and get in contact with an airline or maybe even british aerospace (i think it does flying thingys)
when my dads home ill ask him where he ggot his commercial liscence from and tell you, itll give you a load of people to contact and get info from
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by scouser92
:L why do you need alot of money??

I had a flying lesson at Liverpool Airport yesterday; it cost £180. That did include 5 landings though. For just a basic flying lesson it costs between 130 and 140 (fuel prices really come into play more than you realise)

Quote by chippythingy

Don't listen to this noob. Flight Sim is good for practicing navigation (only by instruments at that, there's no proper landmarks to navigate from on the computer because Microsoft didn't put them in). Basically, it's good for practicing ILS approaches, VOR navigation and that's about it. (If you don't know what they are, you will if you learn to fly.)

Real life flying is easier in the sense that flying straight and level is easy enough but obviously there's a very real chance you can kill yourself by not paying attention. I've nearly done it because I let my speed drop too low on approach just before landing. That would have been probably the end of me and definitely the end of the plane. (Speed drops below stall speed - bang i'm in the ground. Not enough airflow to keep the plane in the air, i'm toast)

I'm not being bigheaded, but i've got over a thousand hours on flight simulator. If anything it gave me BAD habits when it came to real life. I've got about 20 hours now - I'm just starting to get rid of them. I'm still flaring too high and basically smashing into the runway. Not good.

If your SERIOUS serious about it, PM me and i'll give you the number of my flying school. It is expensive, it's hard work but how many people that are teens can say they have a pilots licence? Not many. Just your private licence will cost you between 5 and 6 grand. For the full whack (private, instrument, multi engine, night, commercial and your airline transport licence) you're looking at about £70-90 THOUSAND. Unless you get a scholarship, but that's as common as rocking horse shit. If you have the grades and eyesight, seriously look into the RAF. You don't have to fly frontline to fly in the RAF, there's a lot of other flying opportunities that don't involve flying a bombing mission over Iraq.

/Thread

xD
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Helicopters (sorta, that's more army though)

Transport (Anything from Hercules to Tristars. you get to see the world though, a Tornado or Eurofighter just goes to Germany and back basically.

Google the RAF careers website, it's got what grades you need for everything.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

So see if i flew helicopters in the RAF could i go on and fly commercial planes?
So your saying FS gives you bad habits, and i was sayin FS isnt good as well, but you say im a noob?
hmmmmm

And your the only person ive ever heard other than my guitar teacher that uses the rocking horse expression, except he says its rarer than the flies that eat rocking horse shit.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Option 1: Join the RAF, serve the minimum 12 year contract for pilots, leave then *try* and get a job in the civilian aviation industry. Be warned that you CANNOT choose what to fly, it is done on aptitude tests, and you have no say where you are based (i.e. Iraq at any time if they want to send you there, regardless of what you fly)

Option 2: Do a recognized JAA approved APP First Office course (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/air_appfo.htm). Make sure you have a LOT of money behind you (Minimum £65,000 without any living costs. About £80,000 total), and you may not get a job, which leaves you a hell of a lot out of pocket.

The main problem is getting a job. My dad works in the aviation industry (controller) and known many people who have left controlling to become pilots, have saved and paid for their training, and become qualified. Then when looking for a job, they can't find a thing. Airlines are laying off pilots, it is near impossible to now get a job. The aviation industry is not a good one to be in just now.

Option 3: Get an airline sponsorship. This is where you agree to work for the airline for "x" years (usually about 12) and they will pay for all or part of your training. This is impossible just now, no airlines are doing sponsorships as they are laying pilots off, not hiring them, but may become a viable option in a few years. Be warned, competition is extremely fierce (I seem to remember the most recent easyjet sponsorship scheme had around 90 applicants per place available.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Last edited by Neillya1 at Sep 29, 2008,
I know how bad FS is.

I've been playing it since 95, and I've been having flying lessons since june last year. My instructor banned me from playing for a while because i sucked so bad at real life flying.

And not really. A helicopter is nothing like a plane in the way that it flies. Seriously... Go for either learning yourself or if you can fly Hercules. It'll suck at the time but it'll pay off BIG time later in life.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

The best way is to do the minimum term with the RAF, you'd have to do basic training and the typical army regime...

Paying for it is extremely expensive, and there's no guarantee of a steady job afterwards. You need strong GCSE's, A levels and degrees in Maths and Physics. Also, you will be paying around £80000 to train as an absolute minimum.

I wanted to do the same thing, but it's almost impossible for me to be an airline pilot now...I did average in school for various reasons, I can't join the RAF because I have a knee problem so I'd fail a medical exam (something to do with the bone rubbing on bone...I forgot what it was).

But hopefully I can become a GA pilot, and take small prop planes out at my leisure
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Last edited by Liam. at Sep 29, 2008,
Another option scouser is becoming a corporate pilot. The pay and hours are usually better and after getting your commercial rating you can usually get paid to build time.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Its a costly career to get into, so the advice I was given by a pilot was to stick in school and do well untill you can get a degree, go to work start saving up money and whilst doing that start taking lessons so you can get a private pilots liecence.

Then you can go on to given lessons and you will have your job so you will be able to save up enough money to get lessons and sit your commercial pilots liecense.

Or Join the Army and do it all thru there.

The problem today is money can get you anywhere, so people who are pretty rich from daddys money will be able to do all this in no time. Years ago you could get sponsered by an Airline and they would fund you all the money but that has changed since.
Page 1 of 2