recently i bought a strat which came with texas special. went to my friend's house and we did a side by side comparison, same amp, same setting, and the tone wasn't that much different, can anyone enlighten me why so many people make a big deal about dropping the texas special in their mexican strats?
what amp? or amps?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
of course amp matters.

if you played both guitars thru an mg (looking at your quotes) for example, you wouldnt have heard any difference no matter what pickup was tossed in there.

personally i prefer a stacked single for a hot sounding bridge.
and in the past year or two, in this forum anyway, i hardly ever hear any shout outs for texas specials anymore.
maybe they just arent a big enough kick unless played through a clean amp like a HRD.

i've tried them bunches of times, but usually my fav switch is a click down from neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I've never seen a big hoo-ha about dropping Texas specials into their strats.
I've seen people saying that they're good stock pickups on some strats, but never a huge fuss on changing to the specials.

Though I believe the Texas Specials are slightly hotter than the standard ones.
well i don't think the dual rectifier sounds anything like a marshall mg, so in this case its not the amp. but can anyone enlighten me on why so many people praise these texas special?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I've never seen a big hoo-ha about dropping Texas specials into their strats.
I've seen people saying that they're good stock pickups on some strats, but never a huge fuss on changing to the specials.

Though I believe the Texas Specials are slightly hotter than the standard ones.

on second thoughts it might not be just this forum, i heard it from many strats owners i jam with, and their all pretty good blues players who gigs at clubs. not to mention the store clerks at sam ash
Texas specials are wired to have a bit more treble and a little more bass response.. The frequency curves are not that different from your regular stock pickups. The bridge pickup does make a clean amp overdrive a little quicker, with a touch more bite. If you just dime everything on a Mesa Dual Rect you probably wont hear any differences.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
I like the Texas Specials a lot and they have a lot more output then the standard Fender pickups.

I don't use any buzz boxes and I find they drive my amps (various old Fender, Soldano, etc...) a little harder and the bridge pickup is not overly bright.

Maybe you were playing with a ton of fuzz or something as they def sound different - not better or worse mind you but different - then stock Fender pickups.
Quote by SenorSmiley
I like the Texas Specials a lot and they have a lot more output then the standard Fender pickups.

I don't use any buzz boxes and I find they drive my amps (various old Fender, Soldano, etc...) a little harder and the bridge pickup is not overly bright.

Maybe you were playing with a ton of fuzz or something as they def sound different - not better or worse mind you but different - then stock Fender pickups.

thank you, that was very informative.

no we didn't use any pedals and for most comparisons we used the clean channel. i do notice my tone is a bit more treble and bassy giving me a darking tone then his.
Anytime.

FYI - I have four guitars with Texas Specials - A James Burton Fender Tele, A Custom Shop Nashville Style Tele, A Fender Roadhouse Strat and a Fender Custom Shop Strat
Quote by kckyle
well i don't think the dual rectifier sounds anything like a marshall mg, so in this case its not the amp. but can anyone enlighten me on why so many people praise these texas special?

yeah i didnt mean you did.

to say it more clear, i meant, if you use upgraded pups wt a crap amp, you wont hear a difference.

so yes, when hearing both thru your amp, you should've notice tonal differences, subtle as they are in this case, unless you are using high gain. (which you said you werent)
but you'll notice them more thru a HRD or similar style amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62