alright, so basicly I'm considering getting this preamp http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Tube-Preamp?sku=481526

Im just wondering what kind of power amp would work well with it (the cheaper the better).

Also do you think it would sound good. And lastly, to get a functional rig I'd need this a power amp a cab and thats it right? I don't really understand power amps and stuff, any clarifications would be cool. Sorry im gear retarded.
yeah, i do have a cab, what is a tube poweramp, any link?

So basicly, in a nutshell, the preamp gives the tone and the power amp gives the power for the sound to come out, right?
Quote by nic74
alright, so basicly I'm considering getting this preamp http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Tube-Preamp?sku=481526

Im just wondering what kind of power amp would work well with it (the cheaper the better).

Also do you think it would sound good. And lastly, to get a functional rig I'd need this a power amp a cab and thats it right? I don't really understand power amps and stuff, any clarifications would be cool. Sorry im gear retarded.

Carvin TS100 Tube power amp. $550 USD. Sounds amazing. I use that preamp/power amp setup, and it sounds immense. What style do you play?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by nic74
yeah, i do have a cab, what is a tube poweramp, any link?

So basicly, in a nutshell, the preamp gives the tone and the power amp gives the power for the sound to come out, right?

Preamp basically shapes most of your tone, the power amp amplifies the weak preamp signal into a signal strong enough to drive speakers. But you've got the preamp being the biggest part of your tone though, although that's not to say Tube vs SS power amps wont make a difference (tube power amp gives you better dynamics, richer and more smoother tone, also different tubes here would make a diff here as well)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
I've been hearing alot of good about the Carvin TS100 lately. From what I know about it, it's suppose to compete with poweramps three times its price. Also, if you're looking for used, the VHT 2/50/2 sounds great with that preamp. The VHT is a bit more expensive, but it could be something worth looking into if you're considering used gear as well.
Quote by kayman121
Carvin TS100 Tube power amp. $550 USD. Sounds amazing. I use that preamp/power amp setup, and it sounds immense. What style do you play?

I play A bunch of different genres of metal, indie and rock in general. Im kinda all over the map, is that a versatile setup?
Quote by caraluzzo
I've been hearing alot of good about the Carvin TS100 lately. From what I know about it, it's suppose to compete with poweramps three times its price. Also, if you're looking for used, the VHT 2/50/2 sounds great with that preamp. The VHT is a bit more expensive, but it could be something worth looking into if you're considering used gear as well.

It does in my opinion. Comparing it first hand to the VHT and Randall tube power amp saved me from shelling out an extra 800
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by nic74
I play A bunch of different genres of metal, indie and rock in general. Im kinda all over the map, is that a versatile setup?

It's got pretty much all of modern metal and rock covered. (I emphasize modern, you won't really get a marshally type crunch out of this thing.)

I use it for melodic death, brutal death, black, heavy, thrash, prog metal, prog rock, and some alt rock.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
It's got pretty much all of modern metal and rock covered. (I emphasize modern, you won't really get a marshally type crunch out of this thing.)

I use it for melodic death, brutal death, black, heavy, thrash, prog metal, prog rock, and some alt rock.

Sounds sweet dude! thanks for the help, btw your rig sounds insane! Any recordings of that thing?
Quote by nic74
Sounds sweet dude! thanks for the help, btw your rig sounds insane! Any recordings of that thing?

Will have some soon. Several components of my old worn-out rig crapped out on me, and ever since I got my rack system, I've decided to go for a complete and total studio overhaul to really bring out the beast within (mic, mixers, monitors, programs, sound card, also throwing a midi keyboard in the mix as well for synth work)...so give it a couple months as I get everything set up and sorted out
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by kayman121
Will have some soon. Several components of my old worn-out rig crapped out on me, and ever since I got my rack system, I've decided to go for a complete and total studio overhaul to really bring out the beast within (mic, mixers, monitors, programs, sound card, also throwing a midi keyboard in the mix as well for synth work)...so give it a couple months as I get everything set up and sorted out

Sweet dude!