Since you have Diminished ( 1 b3 b5) and Augmented (1 3 #5) chords do you actually have 'augmented scales' like you do have minor and major scales.
Probably it's a stupid question. I know that there isn't a scale called the diminished scale but maybe it goes under another name
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
The Locrian mode is a diminished scale, it's the only one of the diatonic modes of the major scale that is diminished (1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7).. That's all I know of, don't know about augmented scales..

Cheers
ZeG
you dont necessarily have "scales" as such, but arpeggios. the diminished arpeggio goes from octave to octave through a series of minor thirds, eg. C Eb Gb A C, hence it has 4 steps- the root, diminished 3rd, diminished 5th and diminished 7th (enharmonic to a major 6th). The same is true of the augmented arpeggio, but this time it goes up in major 3rds, eg. C E Ab C, and has only 3 steps- the root, augmented 3rd (enharmonic to a major 3rd) and augmented 5th (enharmonic to a minor 6th)- because of the bigger steps.
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
I'm pretty sure there's diminished and augmented scales out there.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
I'm pretty sure there's diminished and augmented scales out there.

i didnt say there werent, but over the principal of a diminished being symmetrical minor thirds, its really an arpeggio. The super locrian mode is a diminished scale i guess - 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by BobChicken
i didnt say there werent, but over the principal of a diminished being symmetrical minor thirds, its really an arpeggio. The super locrian mode is a diminished scale i guess - 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7

I think there is a confusion of terminology here.

Diminished isn't defined by use of minor thirds. The word simply means made smaller. in terms of intervals it applies to perfect and minor intervals, i.e. make those narrower and the interval becomes diminished.
In chords it applies to the triad when the fifth is diminished over a minor third.

The most common form of a diminished scale alternates tone with semitone, starting with a tone over the tonic. The diminished chord can be constructed from the first, third and fifth degrees of this scale. The scale has nine notes (including the octave) and so cannot be said to be diatonic.
In addition, I believe the whole tone scale can be regarded as an augmented scale, it has an aug 5. But I'd have to blow the dust off a text to be sure of this.
there is a diminished scale, it an 8 tone scale though, and the closest thing to an augmented scale that i can think of would be the whole tone scale, which is a 6 tone scale that is only whole steps between each note. IMO whole tone is a rly weird sounding scale.
The ones I can think of off memory are-

Locrian- 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 1
Locrian #2- 1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7
Super Locrian (or 'Altered')- 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7

those are all diminshed-sort of scales

The only augmented scale I can think of is-
Lydian Augmented- 1 2 3 #4 #5 67
It has augmented in the title!