Page 1 of 2
Yesterday I was in the music section of a book store. I saw the book "1001 Recordings To Hear Before You Die" and decided to look at it. It was supposed to have great recordings by anyone from classical to modern day music. I wanted to see if some of my favorite bands made it onto the list.

After seeing AC/DC and the Allman Brothers, I wanted to see if Soundgarden made it into the book. I flipped over and found, as I expected, Superunknown. Below that was something I didn't see coming though: Toxic by Britney Spears. After seeing that I just put the book away.

How the f**k did Britney Spears make into a book with classical giants like Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach? Seriously.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Was extremely popular for a brief period of time. More people most likely listened to Britney Spears than the fellows you mentioned. Simply a matter of preference and musical awareness. Some people don't listen to classical.

She (and her puppeteers) were pretty much responsible for the entire pop movement of the 90's
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Sep 29, 2008,
I'd rather listen to Britney Spears than AC/DC.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by filthandfury
She sold many many albums.

I know she sold a lot of albums, but she wasn't an innovative musician or anything
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

Quote by maninthebox24
I know she sold a lot of albums, but she wasn't an innovative musician or anything

Yes she was.
two and a half men.
Musically Toxic is actually a pretty good song.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
For the same reason that Soundgarden's lamest album did. These things are about commercial success.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
You're missing the point of the book. Those books have a wide variety of stuff, so you can hear all sorts of different music; the songs mentioned are not necessarily meant to be the best 1001 recordings ever.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by Cameronrobson
Yes she was.

That granted me a big: LOL
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
Quote by eazy-c
I'd rather listen to Britney Spears than AC/DC.

you sir, are a disgrace to the human race.
Well I used to think she was kinda hot

Not anymore

Fatty <.<
Quote by greekboy slim

Only because humans, by and large have really bad taste.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
For the same reason that Soundgarden's lamest album did. These things are about commercial success.

Yeah, I'm not that fond of Superunknown and would rather have seen Badmotorfinger, but knew that Superunknown would make it in because of it's success. But the book claims to have chosen it's songs based on quality, not popularity.
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

Quote by greekboy slim

I submit to you, awaiting approval, that by completely disregarding one's preferences and substituting them with your own that you yourself are not helping out one bit in the shambles that we call humanity.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Toxic is a good song. AC/DC does not make good songs. Emmerson, Lake and Palmer make good songs. Were they in the book?
two and a half men.
Quote by Cameronrobson
Toxic is a good song. AC/DC does not make good songs. Emmerson, Lake and Palmer make good songs. Were they in the book?

For Those About to Rock? Stiff Upper Lip? Highway to Hell?

AC/DC fan or not, they have some damned good songs.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by maninthebox24
Yeah, I'm not that fond of Superunknown and would rather have seen Badmotorfinger, but knew that Superunknown would make it in because of it's success. But the book claims to have chosen it's songs based on quality, not popularity.

Alright, I'm going to do you a favor and I'll write a book on the 1001 albums everyone needs to hear before they die. My list will not only include music that barely has any fans, it will be songs that even the fans usually don't like.

Page 1: Why Larry "Wild Man" Fischer is better than you.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Gsaws
I submit to you, awaiting approval, that by completely disregarding one's preferences and substituting them with your own that you yourself are not helping out one bit in the shambles that we call humanity.

+1
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by PUNKfromNORWAY
She looks much better than Bach

Bach was a ****ing sex symbol.
two and a half men.
Quote by Cameronrobson
Bach was a ****ing sex symbol.

I'd tap it.
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

Quote by Cameronrobson

you can't be serious..
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by frankv
I personally think Superunknown is one their best, the title track kicks bum.

I still insist Badmotorfinger is the album everyone should hear before they die. But, then.. I also think Downontheupside is better than Superunknown. SU to me, is their third best work.

Not that I think its a bad record, I just would have put something else. Not that you don't already know that from our discussions in the Off-topic thread.
Quote by vintage x metal

Plan 9 is in 1001 movies to see before you die. Maybe they want you to hear how horrible it is. Or, since it's an archive book, listen to a supposedly good example of 90s pop.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I still insist Badmotorfinger is the album everyone should hear before they die. But, then.. I also think Downontheupside is better than Superunknown. SU to me, is their third best work.

Not that I think its a bad record, I just would have put something else. Not that you don't already know that from our discussions in the Off-topic thread.

Actually, I think people should hear all 3.
Quote by tonedeafidiot
Plan 9 is in 1001 movies to see before you die. Maybe they want you to hear how horrible it is. Or, since it's an archive book, listen to a supposedly good example of 90s pop.

What don't people understand about Toxic not being a bad song? It's pretty catchy and not bad musically.
Hint:

The book is called 1001 RECORDINGS. NOT "1001 universally enjoyable songs".

I haven't heard the whole album, but I'd assume it was arranged, sequenced, played, recorded, mastered and produced to an incredibly high standard, thereby making it a very successful and enjoyable recording.

Not to mention she is perhaps the defining artist of an entire genre...
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by frankv
Actually, I think people should hear all 3.

My book is just going to be

"Listen to Soundgarden, dick."

"Have you listened to Soundgarden yet?"

"Why aren't you listening to Soundgarden?"

"What about Alice in Chains?"

"I think you need to learn all about Seattle in the early 90s."

"Let me introduce you to Screaming Trees.. and although they're not actually from Seattle.. I want to devote an entire chapter to The Fluid."
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Gsaws
She (and her puppeteers) were pretty much responsible for the entire pop movement of the 90's

Man what.

Her debut album was in 1999. I agree with you on principle, just pointing out a factual error.
Quote by Monkey@Keyboard
Well, she was kinda influential... I mean what else are we supposed to watch on the news?

Not influential, just popular.

Unless you're using her as a guide to get publicity when your career is stagnant.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
My book is just going to be

"Listen to Soundgarden, dick."

"Have you listened to Soundgarden yet?"

"Why aren't you listening to Soundgarden?"

"What about Alice in Chains?"

"I think you need to learn all about Seattle in the early 90s."

"Let me introduce you to Screaming Trees.. and although they're not actually from Seattle.. I want to devote an entire chapter to The Fluid."

But where is the weird shit? How could you, being the person you are, write a book about the 1001 must-have-heard recordings without including weird shit?
Quote by Flying Couch
Man what.

Her debut album was in 1999. I agree with you on principle, just pointing out a factual error.

Sorry, my childhood is a little hazy.

Let's see..

Basically everybody on the face of the planet knew who she was, and it was all happening along side N'Sync and Backstreet Boys etc. A big pop movement.

I prefer Mariah Carey myself.
Quote by FbSa

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Page 1 of 2