This is a poem I wrote today... would really like some thoughts? Thanks guys

Watch The World Burn

A few choice words between a few 'good' men, and the world is shaking all over again;
All so they can live in peace; while our sons and daughters fight in the pieces.
Some men just want to watch the world burn; that's never been my style.
I'll die a hero; or live long enough to watch myself becoming one.

That morning I kissed my family goodbye; “I've got to go, it's daddy's turn to fly.”
Take my word I won't stop living; I'll breathe and I'll breathe until my heart stops giving
Me all these emotions all mixed in together; I know I can't keep on doing this forever;
Just one more flight and then I'll be free; but it could be the very last thing that I see.

The night is darkest right before dawn; I guess that's some kind of metaphor
For life; for living, and dying, and fighting; It's all that gets us through this war.

Flicking through photos of my other life as a father; three children, a beautiful wife
I wonder if one day I'll see them again, or will I end up being one of those men
That you see on the news, who never get home; I'd crawl on my knees until skin turned to bone
Just to get there, but now the alarm system's blaring; outside in the dark in whatever I'm wearing.

Into the cockpit with barely a glance through the darkness engulfing the hostile advance;
Engines are burning and rockets are loaded, when all of a sudden the night has exploded
Into life, but maybe that's not the right word, all that's below me is covered in blood
The orders are simple, search and destroy; was this what I dreamed of when I was a boy?

For life; for living, and dying, and fighting; It's all that gets us through this war.

Attempting to focus and swallow my fear; but everything seems to be hopeless from here
My fuel light is on and I'm sensing defeat; It's here now and all I can feel is the heat in my seat
And the engines are whining and screaming; or is that just me as both my eyes are bleeding
Succeeding; the only thing I ever craved; look where it's got me, no funeral, no grave

Sometimes the hero takes the fall; I'm falling, I'm burning, for once and for all
Of the things I've been taught all that I can remember; the look on their faces that day in September
I signed on that line not for pay but for pride; to feed fuel to the fire that's still burning inside
Today I go down but we'll stand up together; we'll fight for our freedom, and do so forever.