ive been trying to record a good high gain guitar tone. im using a 5150 carvin and les paul and ibanez and hellraiser (trying to test different tones). Im using a 57 in various positions but everything is just fizzy and saturated and very like bedroom like or like a crap digital pedal. my usb connection is only 16/96 but its USB.

my tones going into the guitar are good ive worked a lot on them but its not happening. wondering if anyone has tips or any good examples anyone has done.
Last edited by GhostReverie at Sep 29, 2008,
what recording software?

I find a 57 gives a nice high gain sound dead centre of your speaker
I often throw a comforter over my amp and mic to dampen any interference and that works well

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
what recording software?

I find a 57 gives a nice high gain sound dead centre of your speaker
I often throw a comforter over my amp and mic to dampen any interference and that works well

what do you mean a blanket?

cubase sx3
You put a blanket over the amp and mic to keep out any room noise and isolate the sound coming out of the speaker. Id keep trying mic positions, lower the gain on the amp some, and when you think you've found a good mic position fine tune it with your EQ. Took me a long time and the EQ pedal i bought helped alot.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
occub do you find your eminances smooth out your recto?

slappy unfortanately i cant because its my bedroom but if i use a heavy blanket that should help
I think that turning that amp up will definitely help, otherwise you will have very little sound of the speaker and cab, which is why you're micing it rather than just using the line-out.

Can you wait until your parents go out and then turn it up a bit? Your neighbours will understand :-)
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
decent vid but i knew most things apart from some mic positioning things and deadening. he gets a similar tone to me i guess im not happy with the amp. im not satisfied with anything under a engl se either which sucks cos i dont wanna spend like 3 grand on one.
Quote by SlappyTheFish
I think that turning that amp up will definitely help, otherwise you will have very little sound of the speaker and cab, which is why you're micing it rather than just using the line-out.

Can you wait until your parents go out and then turn it up a bit? Your neighbours will understand :-)

lol im 24 no mummy and daddy house for me now.
do you have good monitors to listen back to the recordings?
shitty headphones/multimedia speakers can make everything sound crappy
Quote by GhostReverie
ive been trying to record a good high gain guitar tone. im using a 5150 carvin and les paul and ibanez and hellraiser (trying to test different tones). Im using a 57 in various positions but everything is just fizzy and saturated and very like bedroom like or like a crap digital pedal. my usb connection is only 16/96 but its USB.

my tones going into the guitar are good ive worked a lot on them but its not happening. wondering if anyone has tips or any good examples anyone has done.

fizzy? the tone probably sounds decent when you're sitting by the amp and just playing tho right? that would be because the treble from the amp isn't blasting straight at you.. its bouncing off numerous walls and stuff before hitting your ears.

but when you stick a mic directly in front of the speakers, its gets all that undiluted trebliness fed right to it which is probably the result of your fizzy nasty tone.

roll your treble and presence off a bit and crank your mids. mids are what people and SM57's like to hear.

i usually start out with my highs completely off.. and the increase them just until i start to hear the highs. and then experiment from there.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by GhostReverie
occub do you find your eminances smooth out your recto?

slappy unfortanately i cant because its my bedroom but if i use a heavy blanket that should help

Im happy with the speakers, no complaints. I think I might swap one out for something with a better bass response.

I dont know if everyones interface can do this but on my Presonus I can bypass the mixer and whatever sound that goes into the mic from the cab, goes in to the computer and straight out of my monitors in real time. So I moved the cab into the closet and moved the mic until I liked it. Whatever I heard through the computer monitors..... was what would be recorded.... saved alot of time
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.