Isn't that just the name of the book...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Isn't that just the name of the book...

no there its a type of sheet music book. there is a real and a fake i just dont know which is which

EDIT: i think they botched on the title. its supposed to be "charles mingus: More than a fake book", because they also have "charles mingus: more than a play-along"
Have i gone mad??? but seriously arent there fake and real books? ill looks for an example.
A fake book is a collection of musical lead sheets intended to help a performer quickly learn new songs. Each song in a fake book contains the melody line, basic chords, and lyrics - the minimal information needed by a musician to make an impromptu arrangement of a song, or "fake it."

The fake book is a central part of the culture of playing music in public, particularly in jazz, where improvisation is particularly valued.

Fake books are not intended for novices: the reader must follow and interpret the scant notation, and is expected to have thorough familiarity with chords and sheet music. However, fake books can be an avenue to playing songs quickly; a few chords and a one-note melody line can allow even an amateur to play a passable version of any song with relative ease.

Despite the name, fake books are often unbound, consisting of a thick, loose stack of sheets.

That's what a fake book is, according to wikipedia.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
yea i just read that too. man i kinda wanted the real notes as i dont need to improv this, its just for bringing up my upright bass chops.
The Fake books are very illegal and very unreliable, because it was some douchebag in a shady bar transcribing songs to put in a book. The Real Books are actual transcriptions that don't violate every copyright law ever made. The Real Books are what almost every jazz player will have.

This to me doesn't sound like a fake book or a real book. It sounds like a book full of Charles Mingus' parts for 55 of his songs. MORE than a fake book, is the title.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The Fake books are very illegal and very unreliable, because it was some douchebag in a shady bar transcribing songs to put in a book. The Real Books are actual transcriptions that don't violate every copyright law ever made. The Real Books are what almost every jazz player will have.

This to me doesn't sound like a fake book or a real book. It sounds like a book full of Charles Mingus' parts for 55 of his songs. MORE than a fake book, is the title.

thanks man. so is it safe to say if got this book it would show me note for note what the bass lines are? or would it just tell me the chord changes? because i kinda want the exact notes.
The book is great--and some of the transcriptions are in his own hand, so the accuracy rate is pretty high. Its a bit more than just "the bass lines" ; but a few of them are not the complete songs if I remember right. This book is on my short list for a Christmas book this year.
Quote by anarkee
The book is great--and some of the transcriptions are in his own hand, so the accuracy rate is pretty high. Its a bit more than just "the bass lines" ; but a few of them are not the complete songs if I remember right. This book is on my short list for a Christmas book this year.

when you say its a bit more than the bass lines you mean???? and thanks for responding.
It has performance notes two CDs of recordings, tonnes of photos and biographical items. Its rather cool.
Quote by anarkee
It has performance notes two CDs of recordings, tonnes of photos and biographical items. Its rather cool.

thanks for all the info i might order it right now. im dying to learn some mingus tunes. and learning by ear is decently hard. I got some of the intro to haitian fight song.
I love the Fake Books. I use the Praise and Worship fake book a ton.

Basicly, it takes songs, arranges them in a simplier fashion but retains a sound similar to the orginal. I find that they are very helpful. Very easy to pick-up songs, very easy to make your own arrangements.