Finally, this song is done. I finished it after about 5 months of writing it. I'm proud of this song, especially the slower latter part of the song. C4C

►_Eggonesix_◄
Attachments:
The fields of treachery.zip
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

How to crit this one...

I loved it, and I hated it.

It was, huge, massive, epic, whatever you want to call it. To be honest with you it's one of the few songs I've listened to that I would actually call epic. Many try, few succeed. You succeed.

Great use of all the instruments. Especially the strings and brass.

You had really good strong themes.

The slow section was great, and the tempo change actually worked.

But... (yeah you saw it coming)

The drums... I know it's supposed to be a metal song, but that does NOT mean you're required to hammer on the ****ing kick drum constantly. It's stock drumming, it's highly annoying, lacks anything in the way of creativity and in in no way compliments the song you've written. Sure there are times when it's completely appropriate to be doing that, but the constant 8th/16th note hits on the kick brutalizes any kind of dynamic that the song possesses. It was bad enough that I had to cut the volume way back.

Aside from that, I felt some of the themes kind of carried on a little too long, and many of them were very similar in nature. It kind of makes the song a touch repetitive, and halts the movement a little bit. It's not a major problem, but it does feel like there could be a little more variance in the themes.

Drums aside it's still a great 9/10
hey man, epic song. reminded me of symphony x alot which is cool. For the sake of the song i would say mayb add more guitar parts or technicality and i thought the drums fit nicely making it a little more metal than it would have been.

9/10 easy
Thanks for the crit.

I Really liked this song. However like Icronic said the drums were a bit to much in some parts. But it didn't take away from the overall song. I really like the part starting at 2:38-3:04. This song is very epic sounding. I love the variety of instruments in the song. The melodies are just great. I'll probably make this my cellphones ringtone lol

9.5/10
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
holy crap
i wish i knew how to use the keyboards
the guitars are not that dominant, it's like similar to rhapsody, but u can make something more interestin with the drums
Sorry for the necromancy on this thread but I really want to comment on this.

First of all, EPIC! It is hard to get this epic feel to songs.
I loved the use of strings and pizzicato.

The Pizzicato rythm in the intro somehow reminded me of Iron Maiden, don't ask me why, it just did.

Tell me, you are gonna record this right? This is amazing stuff Thou the drumming doesn't have to by always hammering the bass drum, thou it is metal.

Nice work!

Amazing outro

C4C? In My Signiture!
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Pizzicato intro is nice. I love when the strings come in. The pause is very dramatic too. The guitar enters well and I lived bar 35 onwards. I'm gonna have to agree with the others and say lay off the bass drum a bit. The main theme is good and there's a good guitar melody going on.

Bar 100 is where the drums start to fit in. I love it.

Bar 130 is probably one of the most epic things I've heard for a while. Motherloving props dude. It ends too suddenly though. The next section is great, reminds of runescape for some reason. The trumpets enter well and the section is great overall but the song ends too suddenly. I was expecting some more guitar or at least the main theme again.

9/10
Thanks for the crit' man (:

Before I get started, If I seem a little negative throughout this crit', I've never been a huge fan of this genre, sorry.

The intro with the harp type sound was very cool.
At 19 it only got better! Great atmosphere you've got going on.

The lead at 35 was pretty cool, if not a little predictable.
Keychange at 51 worked really well.

67 and so on was cool, I wish you'd have labelled the different sections so I could tell what was verse and chorus and not. The harmony at 83 was awesome!

101, that section has a cool breakdown type of thing going on. I could imagine some Ed Butcher type screams in there. The harmonys were ownage. The little chior bit put me of a bit though.
The solo type bit on the guitar was cool, pinchs sounded weird though. I blame Midi for that.

131 sounds a bit chorusey to me. That was very very nice.
The interludey type bit with the harp was a big highlight for me, reminded me of the end of The Harp and Hellfire by Eternal Lord. But more epic. Maybe make the snare so it's like a marching military beat in there? Like, mix in some 16th triplets and stuff, that would be awesome!

It all comes to a great ending aswell.

10/10. For the genre, very good song!
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Cheers for your crit on mine, as I listen:

Intro: I like the subtle bass changes here, really builds a mood - good string use but you need to keep something tied over in bar 17, the silence kills it a bit. The fade in at 18 is perfect but it needs a chord before that or a timpani, something anyway. The next section would be fine but for the drums. Go from 8ths to 16ths - have a big drum roll in 26 leading into your double bass pounding. Otherwise fine - reminding me lots of Nightwish with the keys being the dominant instrument.

The next section is very well done as well, especially the mood change at 51. Again with the drums at 67 though. The dynamic change from 8ths to 16ths would be perfect here. Nothing much to say about the dual guitar melody either really - it's good and fits. Tempo Change at 100 works well but for the love of God keep the groovy drumming for longer. There's no need here for the double bass pounding, just keep what you have at 117.

You need something to fill between 120-121, it just sounds very empty before the solo. I liked the solo though, apart from the harmonics - to me i prefer slower bends to build feeling. 131 onwards was awesome though. Every song needs a defining moment and this is it - brilliant lick line. Here the drums are fine as well - every once in a while it works, you've just overused it a bit.

From 147 is very good - reminds me very much of Symphony X's Communion and The Oracle...lovely keys use. You really should make this more of an interlude though, or lead into a final chorus of some sort - it just sounds like you're building up to something then the song just ends.

Overall it's good, just needs a few tweaks. As others have said, go easy on the drums, and I'd love to see that ending changed a little bit. Good work though mate, will be looking out for more!
I loved it... Any chance on letting me know what software you used to make this???

Thanks
Quote by alkaline3trio
I loved it... Any chance on letting me know what software you used to make this???

Thanks

Guitar pro
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Amazing.

Incredible song.

EDIT: OMFG IT'S SO DAMN COOL!
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Last edited by Shining_Yrael at Nov 11, 2008,