This semester of college I started taking some really small, intimate courses (no... I wish!) with lots of talking in front of the class... I'm used to huge lectures where I just take notes so this is awful for me. Every day before school I feel sick to my stomach (like I used to in ****ing elementary school!) and don't want to go. Is there a cure for this? I've tried pounding an energy drink right before class but that actually makes it way, way worse. I'd like to solve this problem.

ibfap
Holy sh*t YOU ARE ME!

I had this happen to me last wednesday. I was prepared for my speech but I felt sick to my stomach too. I wanted to leave, I pretended nothing was wrong with me in front of my friends. But I said to myself "If you have the balls to leave, then you have the balls to stay in class until you make your speech"

My only suggestion is to keep an empty stomach and chew gum. It's what I do.
You may want to resort to smoking marijuana in very low doses to calm you down. Trust me it works, its not the only way OBVIOUSLY, however it is nonetheless an option.
Equipment
Ibanez RGT42FX
Takamine G406S
Randall RG100G3
Digitech Metal Master
Quote by Burnt Ice
You may want to resort to smoking marijuana in very low doses to calm you down. Trust me it works, its not the only way OBVIOUSLY, however it is nonetheless an option.

I've thought about it and have no real problems with that, I just don't know how I would do it. I live at home and take the bus to class and would never have time to puff the cheevah.
Quote by drewfromutah
I've thought about it and have no real problems with that, I just don't know how I would do it. I live at home and take the bus to class and would never have time to puff the cheevah.

Then don't do it. If it pisses off your parents, don't do it.
the whole point of doing this in school, so you get used to it before it gets to the point where performing well in front of an audience could mean the difference between keeping your job and the long walk to the unemployment office

aka; just dig in and get on with it
**** any kind of drugs to deal w/ it. We didn't have this shit 200 years ago. People still spoke infront of bigass crowds though.

Just suck up, deal w/ it, roll with the punches. No way around it. If you mess up, tough shit, no one really cares, or will care, and you know what not to do next time. Just don't even CARE when you get up there.
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Just listen to 'The Ecstasy of Gold' by Ennio Morricone. If that doesn't settle you, nothing will.
Get plenty of sleep and drink loads of water. I know I sound like your mum or something, but trust me. Once I tried this and you'd be surprised how energised it makes you.

EDIT: Oh, and what courses did you take?

*Prays you don't say what I've applied for*
Quote by RyanDV
**** any kind of drugs to deal w/ it. We didn't have this shit 200 years ago. People still spoke infront of bigass crowds though.

Quote by Wikipedia
Evidence of the inhalation of cannabis smoke can be found as far back as the 3rd millennium BCE as indicated by charred cannabis seeds found in a ritual brazier at an ancient burial site in present day Romania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)#History

Quote by 12Jim34
Get plenty of sleep and drink loads of water. I know I sound like your mum or something, but trust me. Once I tried this and you'd be surprised how energised it makes you.

EDIT: Oh, and what courses did you take?

*Prays you don't say what I've applied for*

One is a German course and one is an Ethnic Studies course.
Just get a little bit of confidence, and if your good at acting a little, go up there and even if you dont actually feel like you do, pretend like you own the fu*king class and do what you gotta do. If that doesn't work then i always listen to really chill music, i always like Walkabout- RHCP or if i have to pumped, Walk- Pantera is an excellent choice.
If that didn't make sense i was high during the course of writing that.
Quote by drewfromutah
One is a German course and one is an Ethnic Studies course.

Good choices.

There's a career to be made from Ethnic Studies. You can educate compaies on cultural diversity and help bring companies up with a mult-cultural workforce.

A close family member of mine does this for the RFL.
Quote by 36mikeyb36
Just get a little bit of confidence, and if your good at acting a little, go up there and even if you dont actually feel like you do, pretend like you own the fu*king class and do what you gotta do.

a-****ing men.

Fake it till you make it.
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Caffeine is horrible for anxiety, if you have anxiety, don't drink it. Just take deep breaths and talk, you'll get used to it. Also your new class sounds much more appealing to me than your old class style. I'd rather discuss any day than be bored to death by a lecture.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Already been suggested, but reefer helps.

My family has a history of nervous/stress-related disorders (my mother has actually been to an asylum before when she had a breakdown) and I always thought I would have it too. I used to have a hard time even talking to people one on one and I could never get in front of the class without sweating, stammering and having a weak voice.

Anyways, I haven't had any nerve problems since I started smoking. I can talk to people I've never met and be pretty relaxed about it, even when I'm not high. Talking in front of the class is cake.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Already been suggested, but reefer helps.

My family has a history of nervous/stress-related disorders (my mother has actually been to an asylum before when she had a breakdown) and I always thought I would have it too. I used to have a hard time even talking to people one on one and I could never get in front of the class without sweating, stammering and having a weak voice.

Anyways, I haven't had any nerve problems since I started smoking. I can talk to people I've never met and be pretty relaxed about it, even when I'm not high. Talking in front of the class is cake.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Go on.
Just don't look at anyone, pretend they're not there/naked and all that jazz. I like to write my name on my work if i'm reading it because I've got epic middle names that make me slightly more confident.

Plus, even clever kids' ideas sound stupid when they get up in front of the class, just wait until somebody rubbish at life talks, then go immediatly after him. They'll be so scarred by what they've heard you'll seem like Jesus.

Feel free to add me and listen to more hilarious jokes such as the above.
Quote by drewfromutah
I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Go on.

I only smoke on weekends, never on school days, and it still helps me relax during the week.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not a miracle cure.

If I go a month or so without smoking I start to feel my anxiety symptoms returning. Jittery, over-analyzing everything, sweating in stressful situations, stammering, moodiness, lack of patience, etc.

It's all up to you though. It works for me and that's all I'll say. Smoking or not smoking for whatever reasons is totally your decision. I started out smoking just for fun (as I still do) but I soon realized that it combats my anxiety, which is just another plus.

Watch out though, it can make you very apathetic and lazy IF you let it get to you, and especially if you over-do it. When I first started I loved it a little too much. I smoked every 2-3 days and got really apathetic about school and started to slack.

I quit for a long time after that, lapsed back into my anxiety problems, then started up again. I limit myself to weekends only now, which seems to work pretty well.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I only smoke on weekends, never on school days, and it still helps me relax during the week.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not a miracle cure.

If I go a month or so without smoking I start to feel my anxiety symptoms returning. Jittery, over-analyzing everything, sweating in stressful situations, stammering, moodiness, lack of patience, etc.

Dude sounds like you have addiction. I don't think this advice is good. Especially if you plan on applying for jobs later on in life.
I've tried most of the non-drug suggestions, and deep breath stuff. I agree caffeine makes it worse. How stupid would it be to take a shot of whiskey before class?
i have anxiety too, it just takes practice and getting used to going up in front of people.

I'm just sad that med marijuana is illegal in TX
just imagine if u did it all the tiem and how you would act if ur like a pro. then just act like that. thats what i do, i just pretend that i am the man, lol, i know it soudns corny and cheesy, but right beore i have to do a presentatin, or even jsut walk in a big room with no one i know, or about to tlak to a hot girl i jsut get into a mindset where i'm cocky, im badass, and im always right, and i jsut do it, thats when i think of the nike commercial and i jsut do it. like i just become a robot, and do it, not literaly a robot, but i pretend im a robot, ilke i just have a standard procedure in my mind, and i just excute the program, no room for selfconcious emotions, because the programmer didn't write them in. and guess what, you're the programmer!
Quote by metaldud536
Dude sounds like you have addiction. I don't think this advice is good. Especially if you plan on applying for jobs later on in life.

Are people who take ritalin for ADD addicted to it?

I can go without cannabis, no problems, but my anxiety problems (which I've had since I was young, BTW) come back.

It's not like I'm going into withdrawal when I have these anxiety problems. They've always been there, they're not a result of the cannabis.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Ever consider that you might have social anxiety disorder? You can see a doctor for this kind of stuff if you are diagnosed.
12 fret fury
If you feel nervous, it probably means you know you haven't done enough work to be confident with what you're saying.

So...do some more work and spend less time on UG.
Quote by tommyt
you see what youve done draken youve unleashed airplay upon unsuspecting teens, damn you and your self righteous reportyness

buttsecks?

"Cookies? Who said you could eat *my* cookies?!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Quote by airplay
If you feel nervous, it probably means you know you haven't done enough work to be confident with what you're saying.

So...do some more work and spend less time on UG.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm very confident with what I'm saying. I am still nervous.
Caffeine is a step in the wrong direction. Depending on the user, cannabis might make you paranoid around authority figures or other people, you might be too worried about whether they're noticing if you're high and not be able to focus on the material of your presentation as well. Alcohol might help, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

If it's a major problem for you, go see a doctor and talk to him about it. He may prescribe you alprazolam (xanax). However, benzodiazapines aren't very safe, so I would only do this if you are absolutely inhibited by your anxiety.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
Caffeine is a step in the wrong direction. Depending on the user, cannabis might make you paranoid around authority figures or other people, you might be too worried about whether they're noticing if you're high and not be able to focus on the material of your presentation as well. Alcohol might help, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

If it's a major problem for you, go see a doctor and talk to him about it. He may prescribe you alprazolam (xanax). However, benzodiazapines aren't very safe, so I would only do this if you are absolutely inhibited by your anxiety.

Thank you
Quote by dudetheman

Are people who take ritalin for ADD addicted to it?

I can go without cannabis, no problems, but my anxiety problems (which I've had since I was young, BTW) come back.

It's not like I'm going into withdrawal when I have these anxiety problems. They've always been there, they're not a result of the cannabis.

I didn't say the anxiety was a result of the cannabis. I'm thinking that if you used the weed less and focused on fixing the problem without it, the anxiety as wouldn't come back as often when you stop smoking it.
Quote by metaldud536
I didn't say the anxiety was a result of the cannabis. I'm thinking that if you used the weed less and focused on fixing the problem without it, the anxiety as wouldn't come back as often when you stop smoking it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "focus on fixing the problem without it."

It can't be turned on or off like a light switch. It's an actual disorder that runs in our family. My mother takes Xanax daily and if she skips or runs out, she has episodes like what I mentioned earlier (going to the asylum).

I'd rather smoke a little ganja every now and again than have to pop Xanax every six hours.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman

It can't be turned on or off like a light switch. It's an actual disorder that runs in our family. My mother takes Xanax daily and if she skips or runs out, she has episodes like what I mentioned earlier (going to the asylum).

I'd rather smoke a little ganja every now and again than have to pop Xanax every six hours.

Ah well I did not know you had it as a disorder. I have not been diagnosed with it, but I would say I have the same symptoms due to bad experiences while growing up.
Quote by metaldud536
Ah well I did not know you had it as a disorder. I have not been diagnosed with it, but I would say I have the same symptoms due to bad experiences while growing up.

Yeah, it really sucked when I used to have the anxiety problems.

I would sweat all the time in social situations and I was super shy. I over-analyzed everything and thought everyone was making fun of me or out to get me. I would get nervous and chew the inside of my mouth raw and/or bite all the skin off my lips. I had a really short temper and absolutely no patience with anyone.

My mom has it, my grandmother had it, pretty much everyone on my mother's side has had it. Like I said, my mom was actually sent to the asylum for it at one time.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman

yeah, it can be really dangerous. My dad has a prescription, but his condition is very mild. It's related to his hereditary high blood pressure. He's prescribed .25mg pills to take only when he experiences panic attacks or intense moments of anxiety. I keep an eye on the levels of them around because of my interest in their recreational potential and he very rarely uses them.

so as a short term solution, they may work for you TS. Just practice extreme self control and don't take them for any purpose other than legitimate anxiety

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Be thankful you don't have stuttering on top of anxiety.

Good thing that my writing is considered commendable, because I sound like a ****ing idiot when I talk.