This is my first post. Let me start out saying I have a Fender Strat Squier that I bought 19 years ago when I was in the 8th grade. I took lessons for about 2 years. I put it in it's case and lost interest in high school. I just started lessons again about 3 weeks ago. Ironically with exactly the same instructor (he's been there since 1976). I opened up my time capsule guitar case and it played perfectly. Wasn't even out of tune as much as I thought it would be. The next week I had it setup and it's performing like new.

Okay, here's the question. I spent at least 5 hours this weekend on this forum researching the "perfect" amp for my needs. I narrowed it down to either the VYPYR 30 or VYPYR 75. I was leaning towards the 75 because of the PowerSponge (even though I barely know what that means) and the USB interface (the main reason I decided on it). I went down to the music store on my lunch hour today and they had a 30 in a box, but only a display model 75. Since the amp is only a couple of weeks old, I know the display model should be fine so I'm not too concerned about that. I sat for about 30 mins kicking my own arse about which one I wanted. To make a long story short, I left with the 30.

I'm now back at work with the 30 in my car second guessing my purchase. From my quick introduction it's obvious that I'm not going to be gigging anytime soon. My use is going to be my own private practicing at the house. Much of this practicing is going to be with headphones as I have a 5 year old and 3 year old at the house and it's 130 degrees in my garage (I live in Phoenix). When I do play it without headphones I'll likely turn it up as loud as I can stand. I just can't help but think 3 things... 1) I'm a computer geek, so the USB interface is cool... even though I'm probably not going to use it in all honesty. 2) The PowerSponge sounds like it may make using the amp at lower levels "better"...whatever that "better" is, I don't know. 3) You can never have too much power.

Should I return it and get the display model 75? Or should I just quit my whining and belly-aching and stick with the 30? Oh, almost forgot. Has anyone played on both and do they sound exactly the same.... with just the 75 having more power potential?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions... this thread could very well dictate if I drive home after work....or drive to the music store. I think it's open for another 2 hours.
Last edited by mingoglia at Sep 29, 2008,
powersponge+SS amp = pointless.

stick with the 30
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
cant say ive played both but i went with the 75 for the more power option haha
anyway the power sponger makes your amp have a "fuller" tone at lower levels, if that makes sense, which means if u turn the power sponger all the way up u can have the master volume at or less than 1 and it will at least sound decent

EDIT: if you already plan on playing with headphones the powersponger probly wont be very useful to u, although i gotta say the amp sounded like ass in my headphones.... IMO its much better just to keep it quiet with the powersponger on when it is required for me to play quietly
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Quote by danyellenik
powersponge+SS amp = pointless.

stick with the 30

Actually, the powersponge does perform a function. It will allow you to saturate the distortion a little more at lower volume. I will admit the effect is very subtle though.
Get the 75 though if you want. I love mine. I only paid $200 for mine though so needless to say my decision was clear cut.
^ lucky
i paid 300 for mine
granted thats still a great price for what u get...
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.

Quote by zegreatdane
cant say ive played both but i went with the 75 for the more power option haha
anyway the power sponger makes your amp have a "fuller" tone at lower levels, if that makes sense, which means if u turn the power sponger all the way up u can have the master volume at or less than 1 and it will at least sound decent

EDIT: if you already plan on playing with headphones the powersponger probly wont be very useful to u, although i gotta say the amp sounded like ass in my headphones.... IMO its much better just to keep it quiet with the powersponger on when it is required for me to play quietly

You know, that thought occured to me about the headphones. I've never attempted to play with headphones and I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to like it. My kids rooms are on the opposite side of my horse shoe shaped house. In fact I watch movies with our theater system and play Rock Band with my wife and cousins Friday nights (with me beating on the drums) without waking the kids up. Because of that I'm sure I'll just play at lower levels and not with headphones. As was suggested by another poster, do you really use (need) Powersponge with this amp? I have an idea of why it's necessary on a tube amp. Well, I believe it's because in order to play with distortion on a tube amp the excess wattage required to reach the sound has to be diverted somewhere. That's my ignorant understanding.... so anyone feel free to correct my ignorance.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I tried both but only at low volumes. I couldn't tell much of a difference. They probally sound different at louder volumes. If you can afford it the 75 is the better choice. My 30 is plenty for what I use it for.

So do you find in a house setting that you can turn the 30 up as high as you'd want without the speaker distorting? On the rare occasion I'm alone I tend to turn up the volume to about as loud as I can stand. Picture Tom Cruise in Risky business. Okay, maybe not...but I thought that was funny.
Quote by mingoglia
So do you find in a house setting that you can turn the 30 up as high as you'd want without the speaker distorting? On the rare occasion I'm alone I tend to turn up the volume to about as loud as I can stand. Picture Tom Cruise in Risky business. Okay, maybe not...but I thought that was funny.

the speaker won't distort on that amp, it's designed so it can handle the amp on all max settings safely.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by mingoglia

I've only had mine half way up. I live in a trailer park and the neighbors came and threatented to call the cops if I didn't turn it down. The speaker sounded great at half volume though.
Quote by danyellenik
the speaker won't distort on that amp, it's designed so it can handle the amp on all max settings safely.

Yup. I've had mine cranked and can verifiy it doesn't distort at all, just gets deafeningly loud.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I've only had mine half way up. I live in a trailer park and the neighbors came and threatented to call the cops if I didn't turn it down. The speaker sounded great at half volume though.

Those jerks. They obviously know nothing about artistic expression.
From my experience with practice amps, the Powersponge sounds like just a gimmick, if nothing more. The effect you would hear from using it would be minimal, if anything. I wouldn't let that be your main reason for switching. The higher wattage is up to you, though. If you want louder, go for it!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
If you're going to just play through headphones all the time, I'd really suggest getting a Line 6 GuitarPort or TonePort instead.

With some tweaking you can get some great tones out of it and the best thing is, it's already plugged into your computer, so you can record whenever you want to. There's also the option of the ToneFinder (or whatever it's called ), which allows you to search for an artist and use those preset tones as is, or tweak from them.

The only downside is, you need a computer with you to be able to use it, and if you ever want to play out loud, you have to do it through your computer's speakers or rig something weird up that might not be the smartest idea haha.

But another plus is... it's a cheaper option

And to a fellow Arizonite!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Does sound like a gimic mate, stick with the 30, you dont want louder.

as for the power spunger on tube amps, it's pointless too, you can buy a niffty doodad that cuts your volume in half between the head and the speaker cabnet, it sounds better too

have a nice day.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you're going to just play through headphones all the time, I'd really suggest getting a Line 6 GuitarPort or TonePort instead.

With some tweaking you can get some great tones out of it and the best thing is, it's already plugged into your computer, so you can record whenever you want to. There's also the option of the ToneFinder (or whatever it's called ), which allows you to search for an artist and use those preset tones as is, or tweak from them.

The only downside is, you need a computer with you to be able to use it, and if you ever want to play out loud, you have to do it through your computer's speakers or rig something weird up that might not be the smartest idea haha.

But another plus is... it's a cheaper option

And to a fellow Arizonite!

Well, sitting in front of the computer is going to be a bit beat, but that's certainly an alternative. I didn't think that that option was even out there. Cheers back to you... I was in your neck of the woods when I picked up my VYPYR. I bought it from Milano.

I think I've all but axed the headphones idea. I'm just going to play it low when I have to.... and punish my ears when I have the opportunity. I checked the store hours and I have an hour and 49 mins to make a decision.
Quote by R.D
Does sound like a gimic mate, stick with the 30, you dont want louder.

as for the power spunger on tube amps, it's pointless too, you can buy a niffty doodad that cuts your volume in half between the head and the speaker cabnet, it sounds better too

have a nice day.

Okay, another vote for the 30. Appreciate the input.
Quote by mingoglia
Okay, another vote for the 30. Appreciate the input.

Go get the 75. USB = possible software updates in the furture. Plus recording capabilities. Just do it. Do it.
Quote by mingoglia
I spent at least 5 hours this weekend on this forum researching the "perfect" amp for my needs. I narrowed it down to either the VYPYR 30 or VYPYR 75.

So you based your amp decision on a bunch of posts by the kids in this forum? Seriously. Did you try any other amps while you were there or just the Vypyr? I have been lurking here for about a year and I have to say there is a lot of fail thrown about rather regularly by users. (Tho not as bad as HC or others, UG seems to try to stay on topic and is better mod'd by the thread gods here). Basically people just recommend the gear they own from what I can tell. (There are some intelligent users - don't get me wrong). I think you should stop by that same store on the way home and try some other amps. Roland Cube 30, Vox AD30, Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, I was just aghast by your research methods.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Go get the 75. USB = possible software updates in the furture. Plus recording capabilities. Just do it. Do it.

The guy at the music store said there were adapters that converted the audio out to USB and since the audio out is supposedly studio quality it would work just as well if I were to go down this road in the future. He said they retailed for around $50. What are your, or anyone elses thoughts on this? I'm just trying to understand all the pieces here. Are there any other advantages to the USB other than as audio out? I assume that's all you're getting.... it's not like there's some software that allows you to create custom programs or anything through this USB port, is there?
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I'd like to know more about the USB port too.

Yeah, who knows. I don't put much faith in salesmen at times... so I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this...assuming it exists.
Quote by ZepFloydd25
So you based your amp decision on a bunch of posts by the kids in this forum? Seriously. Did you try any other amps while you were there or just the Vypyr? I have been lurking here for about a year and I have to say there is a lot of fail thrown about rather regularly by users. (Tho not as bad as HC or others, UG seems to try to stay on topic and is better mod'd by the thread gods here). Basically people just recommend the gear they own from what I can tell. (There are some intelligent users - don't get me wrong). I think you should stop by that same store on the way home and try some other amps. Roland Cube 30, Vox AD30, Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ. I hope that doesn't come across as harsh, I was just aghast by your research methods.

Your post doesn't come across as harsh. Is comes across as complete failure.
If you can't recommend gear you own, what CAN/SHOULD you recommend?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Your post doesn't come across as harsh. It comes across as complete failure.
If you can't recommend gear you own, what CAN/SHOULD you recommend?

I agree. Not everyone on here is a kid. I'm almost 30. I've tried alot of gear over the years. I try to recommend stuff I liked. I don't tell people to use stuff I don't use or want to use myself.
Wow, comes from two guys with Vypyr's. I'm so surprised. Thanks you made my point.

As far as fail? Buying gear based on other peoples opinions from a forum rather than trying out the gear yourself. That's fail. And esupremacy - if you read my post, i did recommend other amps to try. NOT BUY, try.

I feel bad for this guy - he revitalized his interest which is great, but he is selling himself way short by not trying more amps than one.

Edit: You should recommend amps that suit his needs, not just the amps you decided fit yours.
Quote by ZepFloydd25
Wow, comes from two guys with Vypyr's. I'm so surprised. Thanks you made my point.

As far as fail? Buying gear based on other peoples opinions from a forum rather than trying out the gear yourself. That's fail. And esupremacy - if you read my post, i did recommend other amps to try. NOT BUY, try.

I feel bad for this guy - he revitalized his interest which is great, but he is selling himself way short by not trying more amps than one.

Edit: You should recommend amps that suit his needs, not just the amps you decided fit yours.

He had already bought the Vypyr 30 before I said anything to him. He wanted to know if he should've got the 75. If he had not bought one yet I would've reccomended some other amps, too. Vypyrs are versatile amps. I always say try one not buy one. Any time someone ask for advice I say try several of whatever it is so they can pick the one they like better.
Quote by ZepFloydd25

Obviously, you haven't played a VYPYR or you wouldn't have recommend those amps you suggested over it. The VYPYR completely blows away the Cube and the Vox, it's not even close. If you're going to give advice, at least know what you are talking about k? Sorry if you're having a bad day/life/etc:
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by ZepFloydd25

Yes, I spent a lot of time here, and read every review I possibly could other places. I also watched a ton of youtube demonstrations. Honestly, I'm just getting back into playing and haven't looked at anything amp related in many years. Honestly I've stuck with the different Peavey models because my prior one served me well and I'm in a bit of a rush to pick something because I just started lessons again. Because I'm a novice, I'm looking for others to help get me in the ballpark and once I develop my skills I'll be better informed to make a decision of future amp purchases. I know where you're coming from and if I were buying a high end piece of equipment and only going by what forums say without testing for myself I'd be "aghast" for myself.... but so far I'm in this $199.
Wow catfight.

TS - it's your call, if the usb thing is important to you, get the 75 providing it will work for you at the lower volumes.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Obviously, you haven't played a VYPYR or you wouldn't have recommend those amps you suggested over it. The VYPYR completely blows away the Cube and the Vox, it's not even close. If you're going to give advice, at least know what you are talking about k? Sorry if you're having a bad day/life/etc:

The Spider III and Marshall MG are two other solid state amps, should I have thrown those names out there too just to make random suggestions?

You have one point. Compared to the MG I used to own the vypyr is better. I did find the vypyr to be gimmicky, thin sounding and lacking dynamics. But hey - some people like it so all the power to them. I don't know why you got all defensive. My original post didn't name you, and in fact I gave props to intelligent UG posters. The fact that you jumped all over my post kinda says something about you. My day is going great thanks, closed a couple nice contracts which will lend more in bonus's than your 6505 cost your parents presumably.
Have a nice day!

TS - so sorry but I felt I should defend myself. Hey $199 - more like priceless when you regain your love for guitar. Congratulations.
quick note
i do notice a difference with the power sponger as i said it makes your tones nice even if the amp is wayyyyy down in volume, but ey i guess thats just me
its all up to you and let me know which you choose
o and if you do get the 75, let me know if yours came with the special usb cable, because mine didnt i have to go buy one....
Quote by altoidwithmelon

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Quote by mingoglia
Well, sitting in front of the computer is going to be a bit beat, but that's certainly an alternative. I didn't think that that option was even out there. Cheers back to you... I was in your neck of the woods when I picked up my VYPYR. I bought it from Milano.

Cool man, I haven't been to Milano's in forever. I didn't even know they carried Peavey stuff, I'm pretty sure they didn't the last time I was there.

I think, for what you want, the one you have will be fine. Unless the 75W version has a built in cab simulator or comes with software that has one, its recording capabilities probably aren't too great through the USB (though it is a modeling amp, so I'm sure it does have these built in - I've not played a Vyper yet). There might be software updates for the Vypers though later down the road, and you might be able to add more models, which could be cool, but if that's not anything you'd really be interested in, I'd just stick with the one you have
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just my two cents, but it seems pointless to move from one practice amp, to a bigger practice amp. I'd stick with the 30, anything larger seems pointless.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ZepFloydd25

How about an opinion from a guy without a Vypyr?

I reccommend staying with the 30. The louder amp with a useless powersponge and recording out isn't worth the extra money IMO. Recording via micing the amp sounds better to me anyways.