Looking for pickups with high gain, but with great clean tone as well.

I currently use the stock 490's on my Gibson SG special

Thanks

Guitar : Gibson SG Special Faded with stock 490's

Amp: B-52 AT-112 60 watt all tube combo.

Sorry for the late reply

thanks!
Last edited by gpowsang at Sep 29, 2008,
GG&A.
And what amp do you have?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Id either go with pearly gates or emg 81-85

pearly gates are more well rounded but emgs shine with tone and hae a preeety good tone for clean stuff
Gear
Dean: Razorback V STD
Peavey: MP Signature Series
Yamaha: APX-4A
Drive: Wildfire
Pyle Pro: PPGW-1040
Behringer: Firebird GX 108
Quote by korin_kun
Id either go with pearly gates or emg 81-85

pearly gates are more well rounded but emgs shine with tone and hae a preeety good tone for clean stuff

I think it would be safe to say that most people don't really care for EMG's for clean. But distorted they sound great... that is, if you like their sound to begin with. TS, I find EMG's a bit sterile and I think a hot humbucker for your bridge and a quieter one for your neck would be the best solution.

EDIT: And as Yngwi3 said, we need to know your amp. The stock pickups on Gibsons are usually great as-is, so an amp change may better in the long run.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Most common solution would be picking a higher output pickup for the bridge and a low output pickup for the neck position.
The combination of an SH-5 (Custom) for the bridge and an SH-1 ('59) from Seymour Duncan always appealed to me for all kinds of rock and metal.

What music are you going to play and through what amp?
EDIT: And what guitar?
look at the bareknuckles. they are similar to emgs because they are overwound to give it a thick chunky distortion but because they are passive the cleans are amazing as well.
NO EMGS if you're looking for "great" cleans. For sterile metal cleans, go for it. What amp are you using?

I'd say maybe get something like a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a PAF Pro, and wire them for coil tapping and put some push/pull knobs on your guitar's volume knob.

I'm looking to replace the EMGs in my Hellraiser because I not only want insane crunch, but really good cleans, and pickups that actually respond to rolling off the volume knob. Depending on the EQ focus on your amp (trebly, midrangy, bassy) you may want to go with a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck, and either a JB or a Custom 5. I'm gunna go with some SDs in my hellraiser (kind of leaning towards the JB after playing a bunch of guitars with them in it), but I'd go either route, and make sure to add some coil taps eventually to add another tonal dimension to your sound.
Bareknuckle Warpigs?

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I'd say Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1's.
I may be biast since I have them in every guitar, but the cleans are amazing like all seymour cleans and the gain is very crunchy, like EMG with boosted mids and they don't sound anywhere near as processed. Very quiet too.

I could give a sound clip but I use a Fender MH-500 so it wouldn't be fair to give a sound clip unless I have the same gear.
Sorry to take over your thread but I'm in the same problem, but I want one humbucker that can do it all, I need super clean for a ska and super gain for the hardcore breakdowns
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
EMG 81/85 with 18 volts.

Your cleans will be clean, and high gain sounds will have definition and believe it or not, depth
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I have an EMG89 in the bridge of one of my guitars, sounds great. 18v and a coil tap does hard rock and jazzy cleans quite easily.
I'd recommend the active EMG's that have coil tap. Not sure what the exact model is, but I played them on a Schecter C1 Hellraiser and they sounded great heavy and clean.
81TW, 89 and 89R
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Dimarzio Drop Sonic /thread
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by korin_kun
emgs shine with tone and hae a preeety good tone for clean stuff
No. EMG clean tones are choked-off and irritating.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by gpowsang
Looking for pickups with high gain, but with great clean tone as well.

if that could really happen...

what types of music do you play?
I'm surprised so many of you are suggesting EMG's. I can only say that the EMG-60 can pull off clean tones WELL for an active pickup, but even then.

Passives. go for passives. It's not like if you want a high gain pickup, EMG's are the only way to go. NO.
Quote by Ghold125
if that could really happen...

what types of music do you play?

I pretty much like alternative rock / Metal

Lets say that im looking for a System of a Down chunk in the gain with a nice clean tone.

I play mainly in D, C#, and sometimes C, and sometimes standard.

But i mainly play in D
definitely look into the Dimarzio Drop Sonic as I suggested then
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects: