i've read that different guitar necks are different lengths lik 25" or whatever...i tried to figure it out is it from the nut to the bridge???help
It's the length from the nut to the 12th fret.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
It's the length from the nut to the 12th fret.

....really?
i don't know if that guy's trying to be funny or what...but no neck is 25" from nut to 12th fret. Scale length is the length from bridge to nut.
Quote by BluesLP1990
....really?
i don't know if that guy's trying to be funny or what...but no neck is 25" from nut to 12th fret. Scale length is the length from bridge to nut.

thought so thnks
Its more accurate to measure the (nut -> 12th fret) x 2, rather than measure from nut to bridge. If you measure from nut -> bridge, you'll find out that the distance isn't 25.5" exactly.

This is due to string compensation, which happens when you fret a note. When fretting a note, you actually lengthen the string a little. In theory the 12th fret distance is 12,75" in 2D, but we live in 3D, therefore the height and thickness of the string influences it's placement at the 12th fret and bridge.
Last edited by velly69 at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by velly69
Its more accurate to measure the (nut -> 12th fret) x 2, rather than measure from nut to bridge. If you measure from nut -> bridge, you'll find out that the distance isn't 25.5" exactly.

This is due to string compensation, which happens when you fret a note. When fretting a note, you actually lengthen the string a little. In theory the 12th fret distance is 12,75" in 2D, but we live in 3D, therefore the height and thickness of the string influences it's placement at the 12th fret and bridge.

So as i said, setting aside really intense technicality, Scale length is the length from nut to bridge. Unless the kid's planning to go into manufacturing, he's never going to need to know any more than that.
It's easier to measure from nut to bridge but heh, nut to 12th fret times 2 is the more correct way to do it.
If you want to read about it try google. Here's one article that I like: http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/scale-length-explained/
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

RELATED but not exactly on topic, and i didn't feel this needed a new thread.

Anyway, how does a shorter 24" scale feel in comparison to a "standard" 25.5". Im looking at 24" scale Jaguar, but play a 25.5" telecaster now. How different is the change? is it something difficult to switch between the two, or is it simply preference?
i have rather big hands, at least average size, and 25.5" isnt uncomfortable - i just like the jaguar.

I'm gunna go try it out sometime soon, but if 24" isn't really an option compared to 25.5", i could rule it out before hand.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by chipmunksurfer
RELATED but not exactly on topic, and i didn't feel this needed a new thread.

Anyway, how does a shorter 24" scale feel in comparison to a "standard" 25.5". Im looking at 24" scale Jaguar, but play a 25.5" telecaster now. How different is the change? is it something difficult to switch between the two, or is it simply preference?
i have rather big hands, at least average size, and 25.5" isnt uncomfortable - i just like the jaguar.

I'm gunna go try it out sometime soon, but if 24" isn't really an option compared to 25.5", i could rule it out before hand.

if you don't like the awesome shortscale that Jags have try a Jazzmaster, similar sounding, and they look the same aswell but it has a 25.5" scale.

I play a jagmaster (pretty much a hybrid of the Jaguar & Jazzmaster...but made by Squier and it's 24" scale)...when I play a strat I don't find it much different, but I do prefer shortscales, cause I have "babyshit" fingers. but i find it uncomfortable to play any tele that I've played....the necks are too thick n' chunky.