I am on the road right now and i forgot my capo at home and i want to practice the song "All I Want To Do" by Sugarland. This song requires a capo at the 2nd fret, but i want to play it in the right key.

What I am asking if there is any way to play these chords barred in the same key as if i had a capo on the second fret. Its is just the G, D, A, and C chords. Maybe there is some conversion chart or something to help out.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Your new chords would be A, E, B and D in that order. Putting a capo on the guitar at the second fret raises any note by two semi-tones (which is two frets, or two notes looking at a piano/keyboard).

If you learn where all the notes on a fretboard are, it's pretty easy to figure out your new chords given any similar situation.
Time for some music theory!

2nd fret = 2 semitones above the original.

So if you were playing G, D, A, and C with capo 2, you're going to need to play A, E, B, and D
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thanks for the info so far guys, great help!

Now i am assuming i would play those barred further up the fretboard in order to get the same sounds. Or am i wrong?
Just barre the 2nd fret! Your own pointer finger can be the CAPO!

So, with the pointer barre-ing the 2nd fret on all of the following, finger your chords like this...

G (or A)
Ring- 6th String, 5th Fret
Middle - 5th String, 4th Fret
Pinky - 1st String, 5th Fret

D (or E)
Middle - 3rd String, 4th Fret
Pinky - 2nd String, 5th Fret
Ring - 1st String, 4th Fret

A (or B)
Middle - 4th String, 4th Fret
Ring - 3rd String, 4th Fret
Pinky - 2nd String, 4th Fret

C (or D)
Pinky - 5th String, 5th Fret
Ring - 4th String, 4th Fret
Middle - 2nd String, 3rd Fret

Yeah, that about covers it. It should be no problem if you dont need to go far down the neck where there are open chords. You could also go to any music store and buy one for like 10 bucks.

BTW skatefreestyle...is that YOUR pencil capo? That thing looks pretty nifty!
Last edited by Guns N Russians at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by skatefreestyle
If you've got access to a rubber band and a pencil/pen you could make one.

Like so:

it wont work well if the fretboard is radiused, but it was a good idea
Equipment:

That's just weird. I'm confused now and i won't sleep till i find the answer.
ARCHITECTS

UNDEROATH

Aaron Gillespie
Dallas Green

the problem being the D is high and when you change it to E its low so you gotta do a funky e to transpose it properly which can be hard on the brain if your not used to this sort of thing, does this pencil trick work i'm interested as a chronic loser of small items.
it'll only work if your fretboard isnt radiused(rounded).
Equipment:

In that pencil pic, it looks like the low E has been moved to the A string position(5th) and replaced with a skinny lil .009 high E. What gives? Was someone experimenting or is this a legit stringing method? I've seen a lot of things, setups, configurations ect. on guitars, but never this.
As for losing capo's, just clamp them onto the headstock when not in use. The rubber padding will prevent damage, and it's always handy with the guitar.
Quote by captivate
it'll only work if your fretboard isnt radiused(rounded).

I haven't tried that, but it probably could work even on a fretboard with a low radius. Pencil wood is pretty bendable, so if you got it tight enough to hold the strings down, it would also probably bend with the radius of the board.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by LeftyDave
In that pencil pic, it looks like the low E has been moved to the A string position(5th) and replaced with a skinny lil .009 high E. What gives? Was someone experimenting or is this a legit stringing method? I've seen a lot of things, setups, configurations ect. on guitars, but never this.
As for losing capo's, just clamp them onto the headstock when not in use. The rubber padding will prevent damage, and it's always handy with the guitar.
'

Ive never seen anything like this either. Also, whats that small piece of metal that seems to be holding the string in place?
Regarding clamping the the capo on the headstock when not in use, Ive seen a few cases where it can leave stains/discolouration if left for too long. Rubber can be nasty stuff for a guitars finish so be careful.
Last edited by tom183 at Oct 1, 2008,