Alright i've been playing Electric for around 2-3 years now. I've noticed that when I play with my friends and stuff, I start playing Bass like riffs on my guitar. I've always loved the Bass role in music.

So I've decided to buy one. *looks at bank account*..... dang so max, I can only spend 400$ on a Bass and Amp. I prefer to keep it below that.

Any suggestions on both the bass and amp? I'll just be jamming once and a while and experimenting with bass, with guitar still being my main instrument.
until you give me some genres or influences, I'm stickin with my sig.

welcome to the cool club!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ive heard the squier vintage modified seris is good for the money. as for the amp the "acoustic" amp company i heard is really good for the money.
I play and listen to Alternative, Rock, some metal (kill Switch) and Heavy rock
A Squier Vintage modified precision bass will fit your genres perfectly.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
look at the humanity's sig and obey

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I'd say go with Humanitys sig, but do the following first:
1. Go to the local music store(s)
2. Try out the 200 dollar ranged peaveys, ibanezes, and squires
3. Find one you like, bring it to the counter, and tell them you'll buy it on the spot if they give you a 10-20ft cable, and don't let them try and trick you into a starter box, they're cheap but crap 95% of the time.
*3. You could also try to get a free hardshell case, they usually have used junkers lying around in the back.

Amp:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622

Your other options would be scurrying ebay for a used (made in mexico) jazz or precision bass, they can usually be had for under 300.

Also, I wouldn't buy a gig bag personally, hardshell= much better and protects against dings.
Quote by MattAC
Also, I wouldn't buy a gig bag personally, hardshell= much better and protects against dings.

A decent, padded one will protect against damage, and they weight a lot less. I have a flight case, which is the ultimate protection in bass cases, but it just weighs too much to be practical.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
A decent, padded one will protect against damage, and they weight a lot less. I have a flight case, which is the ultimate protection in bass cases, but it just weighs too much to be practical.

It's a tradeoff, weight-protection.
I would go for a Gator case myself--its light like a gig bag but has extra reinforcement and can take an amazing amount of abuse.
Quote by anarkee
I would go for a Gator case myself--its light like a gig bag but has extra reinforcement and can take an amazing amount of abuse.

I have one and I am totally behind your advice
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Welcome to the world of 4 stringers.

Psssht, speak for yourself.

Welcome to the low end.

The FAQ also has some good suggestions, and is your first stop for basic knowledge (although it will be updated in the near future, so give it another read later)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Psssht, speak for yourself.

Welcome to the low end.

The FAQ also has some good suggestions, and is your first stop for basic knowledge (although it will be updated in the near future, so give it another read later)

+1 i play a six string and am hoping to get a 5 string to make my bass selection complete.
Quote by shinhoman
look at the humanity's sig and obey

x

I agree
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...fier?sku=481622

when you try to play bass through an amp like that it will sound like a dull thud... u might as well get a terrible bass and a acoustic b50 they you could actually hear the instrument your playing
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by MetalBass 77
ive heard the squier vintage modified seris is good for the money. as for the amp the "acoustic" amp company i heard is really good for the money.

+1
especially the 70's jazz bass

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Go on http://www.thomann.de/ u can get a cheap bass and amp from there for awesome prices
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!