Ok, so the birthday is rolling around, and I think it's finally time I've invested in a good tube amp to bring out my Les Paul's hidden sound. In a metaphorical sense, my Les Paul is like a Shelby Mustang, while my amps are two blown tires.

Anyway, I'm on a budget. I'd say no more than 250 bucks. My family isn't exactly rich. However, I know that tube tone can be bought on a budget these days, and though I've noticed most tube amps in this price range are very low-wattage, I've spotted these three beauties on Musician's Friend:

Crate V50-112
Crate V18-112
Crate V18-212

They're on sale for now, and I'm not sure how much longer they're gonna last, so I have to be quick...

Anyway, I play a lot of classic rock, but I also venture into metal from time to time (not really heavy stuff, more or less classic metal), along with a bit of newer music (read as: The White Stripes and RATM. That's really about it.) I guess I've really got a hand in quite a few different styles of music.

What do you think? Which would be best for me? Or do you have an outside suggestion? I'd like to have enough wattage to play with a drummer and such. I'll be playing with some friends, who have a drums and a bass and all that.
HAHAHAHA. Epi LP Classic=Shelby Mustang....priceless.

Get the V18-112. It's loud enough, plus you'll have money left over to buy the distortion pedal you'll need to do metal.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
you won't get a tube amp that sounds above "meh" in that price range.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by theoreticmusic
HAHAHAHA. Epi LP Classic=Shelby Mustang....priceless.

Get the V18-112. It's loud enough, plus you'll have money left over to buy the distortion pedal you'll need to do metal.

I thought that perhaps the use of the Mustang would make the guitar sound too expensive, but then again, it fits. You could then consider a high-end Gibson, PRS, or Fender to be a Lambo, Ferarri, or Mercedes Benz. =P
Eh, a true Shelby Mustang is a classic car, worth upwards of $250K

no comparison.
I'll give you a...uh...lexus. how about that.

Don't judge me.
Quote by kayman121

I disagree.

You can find some good amps in that range, especially used.

the only thing is that they can do 1 or 2 things well and fail at other things.
Nah. And it doesn't particularly matter. It's all subjective, anyway. You might like that better than anything else, and thats fine.

Just get the V and a Metal Muff or somethin.

Don't judge me.
Quote by imgooley
I disagree.

You can find some good amps in that range, especially used.

the only thing is that they can do 1 or 2 things well and fail at other things.

With used amps being considered, I'd agree
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121

Agreed, no such thing as a value tube amp.

Look used is your best bet, or ask for cash and save.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by theoreticmusic
Just get the V and a Metal Muff or somethin.

That one. I play same music, through a Les paul, through a Metal Muff, into a palomino V32 (models are identical to the crate v series.) If you dont go crazy with the Muff you can get a good metal sound. cheers.
Quote by kayman121

I beg to differ. He would just have to go used and get a good deal. Laney AOR Pro Tube 30 combo should be around that range after looking out for them.
not a big fan of the deville. I use to like the cleans on mine, they where amazing, but even with the pedals it didnt really suit me. Wasnt voiced right for rock or metal.

Havnt played through any of the crates, but i hear they are pretty good for the price, and 200 bucks for the v50 seems like an amazing price
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Uhhhh.
It's a Hot Rod Deluxe, not a Deville.
And its a Vox AD50VT, not a Crate V50

Don't judge me.
Honestly - the HRD and the Daddy-O is going to be great at classic rock / hard rock. I rec that because you only dabble in metal. The Vox is a hybrid, meaning it has a tube preamp section and a SS power section. So it's not a true tube amp, if that even matters. The Vox will be more versatile being loaded with effects, whereas the HRD is going to do cleans really well, and classic rock really well, and metal - not so much. Try before you buy. I would say grab that pedal for $25 regardless. I love mine, tubescreamer type of tone with Bass/Mid/Treble controls on board. It's not going to work well with a SS amp, but any tube amp will love it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.