Evening!

I've been an acoustic guitarist ever since I started playing guitar when I was 12~13. I was very much into Don Ross, Antoine Dufour, Andy Mckee, Don Alder, and some Jazz artists. I've never really had reason to look into electric guitar, until I started listening to a band called Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Since then, I've been pretty into their style. (I'm assuming from ear, its Modern /punk/pop rock.)

Now I'm starting to look for an electric. I walked into a few guitar shops, and just started to play. I know what to look for in the feeling and comfort of the guitars, but nothing tone/spec wise.

And to add in, what about an amp? I don't plan on playing at the Astrodome, but maybe small clubs and restaurants. (Definitely at home.) So maybe nothing too loud?

Can anyone give me any tips on any guitar brands that work well with both Jazz, and Modern rock? I'll probably go as high as $800. (And up to $1000 including the amp if the price needs to go that high.) But preferably, I would like to keep it around/under $600-$800.
An Epiphone Les Paul should do it. And before anyone gets on me about jazz needing hollow bodies, lots of jazz artists use solid-bodied guitars. Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and let's not forget, Les Paul himself.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by di$TOrTed
fender stratocaster and crate v18 or peavey valveking

i agree except for the amp I'd go for a fender hot rod deluxe
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
There's a bunch of options.

I think an Ibanez AS73 and a Crate V33, used Mesa Studio 22, used Crate Palomino, or Blues Junior/deluxe sounds like a good setup.
Amp wise
I'm liking the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the Crate V18

(Between these two based on specs so far. Too Late at night for me to check out a store.)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

It might have just been the store's models, but with Fender Strats I've notice a chunky neck. I'm looking to a thinner neck if possible.
Quote by Flare
Amp wise
I'm liking the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the Crate V18

(Between these two based on specs so far. Too Late at night for me to check out a store.)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

It might have just been the store's models, but with Fender Strats I've notice a chunky neck. I'm looking to a thinner neck if possible.

If a strat neck is chunky, get an Ibanez.

IMO, Strats don't have a traditional jazz sound. If you don't want a traditional jazz sound, though, by all means go with one.

The V18 only has one channel, by the way. They also start distorting quite early.

A V33 has a bit more headroom and 2 channels.

FWIW, I use my Ibanez Artcore in 2 jazz bands, and it kills this dude's LP.
Since this is the electric guitar section, I won't waste space here by asking too much about amps just yet. (But in all means, keep tossing them at me! The more I know, the more I can test and get closer to "The One" ^-^)

When looking at guitars, I've found Jackson's and Ibanez's necks to be quite comfortable, so I'm going to assume the Artcore to be the same.

Toneally:
The guitar I'm feeling I'd like to be able to have a balance between Rock and Jazz, leaning more towards Jazz.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Country Club

I think you missed what his budget was.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I would get an Ibanez AS73 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. That would put you right at about $1000 and would be great for jazz and rock.
When the intellectual part of guitar playing overrides the spiritual, you don't get to extreme heights.

~John Frusciante
About the fender deluxe, would the 80w one be a good choice, or should I shell out for the $700 if I have the cash?
Last edited by Flare at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by Flare
About the fender deluxe, would the 80w one be a good choice, or should I shell out for the $650 if I have the cash?

idk where you're seeing an 80w fender deluxe

or any kind of deluxe besides a 112 40w

there's hot rod devilles. Which are great amps as well, very loud. I have the 850 dollar one, I love it its a 410 though. I'd recommend it if you wanna invest the extra money. The deluxe is capable of gigging though if you're not playing ska.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
A little Hot Rod Deville tidbit: The great George Benson uses a HRD in the studio and live.

As far as getting a great jazz tone: A HRD will deliver quite well.

If you can find a Silverfaced Super Reverb, that's even better. One of those would run you about 500-800.

That and an Ibby AS73 would be a killer jazz setup.

Also: Joe Pass, Pat Methany, and George Benson all use/used Ibanez Artcore guitars.
Wouldn't this be an 80w?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-112-80W-1x12-Guitar-Extension-Cab?sku=600768

Ah Benson. I loved his cover of "Affirmation."
I'll look into the Artcore 100% for sure within the next few days. Got me quite curious about it! ^.^
I would just like to clear up one more thing, I hope it doesn't annoy anyone! (^^;
Would it also be able to play rock?
Quote by Flare
Wouldn't this be an 80w?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-112-80W-1x12-Guitar-Extension-Cab?sku=600768

I'll look into the Artcore 100% for sure within the next few days. Got me quite curious about it! ^.^
I would just like to clear up one more thing, I hope it doesn't annoy anyone! (^^;

That is an extension cabinet. It has a capacity for an 80w input from a power amp. Without one, it'll be absolutely silent.

The AS73 is a semi hollow guitar, as opposed to a full hollow, so it's better suited for rock than a full hollow. It's modeled after an ES-335, which I've seen pictures of Down and Corrosion of Conformity guitarist Pepper Keenan using.

I use mine for all my needs, really. I use it in my jazz ensembles and for my rock/metal leanings.

Check out my profile for some clips. VT test was recorded using my Artcore, as were metal clip 1 and 2.
Quote by Flare
Wouldn't this be an 80w?

hehe, that's just a cab bro, sorry to burst your bubble, tube amps would never be that cheap :P

And yes a real hot rod can do rock.
which would be this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510

you can get one used for waaaay cheaper though.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by SenorSmiley
Nope, that Gretsch was 1k used.

He said 1k amp + guitar.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Alright! ^-^

For the amps, I'll probably work my way a little slower with that. (Something 100% new to me. I'll try to find out much more from the amp forum, as well as firsthand.)
The guitar I guess I might be able to pick it up anywhere from one to three months.

But until then, I'll come back and forth! (If thats alright?)

But, I appreciate the help everyone! (Especially l3p4rd and imgoogley!)
I'll be off tomorrow hopefully to look at the guitars and amps you've all yold me about. Thanks!
good luck! have fun! when trying out tubes you MUST CRANK THEM. They should like garbage at low volumes, get them to 3 for alittle
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
^ i was about to suggest he check out jazz chorus amps.

maybe find a used one. (gain it up a little with a pedal if needed)

because i can see he needs something that works for low volumes as well.

that and an ibanez semi hollow, or maybe an epi.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hagstrom Viking Deluxe, the 08 series with the trem bar and the old Hagstrom bigsby style bridge. Just had a talk with someone that just played one, and he said it slays the other Vikings, and that's saying a lot considering how good they are. You should be able to play what ever you want, it's one step down from their Jimmy models (a true Jazz model) and yet can play rock as well.

No pics on the US site, but are now showing up. Here's the german site with pics:
http://www.hagstromguitars.de/productinfo-hagstrom-512.0.html

BTW, it is available in the old maple finish as well. Quite a beauty.
Main Gear
Hagstrom Select Swede- Fender C600 (modded of course) - Peavey PV8
Main Effects
- DSP2024P - MT-2 - Yamaha CO-10M - MXR Phase 90 - BBE Stinger - Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus
While there are jazz players that use solid bodies, I'd really recommend a hollow-body guitar, maybe a Gretsch or even an Epiphone hollow-body. A Fender Telecaster might even do the trick.
Hmm a dilemma really. Hollowbodies are sweet for jazz, but if you wanted solid body then I'd say a Les Paul cause it is a jazz guitar and of course would handle rock without a problem.

As for amps its up to you, but I saw a guy play a nice looking hollowbody a month or so ago through a Cube 30 during a jazz concert they had here where I work and the tone was perfect, of course his technique and playing were unbelievable
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by imgooley
If a strat neck is chunky, get an Ibanez.

IMO, Strats don't have a traditional jazz sound. If you don't want a traditional jazz sound, though, by all means go with one.

The V18 only has one channel, by the way. They also start distorting quite early.

A V33 has a bit more headroom and 2 channels.

FWIW, I use my Ibanez Artcore in 2 jazz bands, and it kills this dude's LP.

Since you have an Artcore, would you mind telling me about it?

What happens if you crank it all the way up? I've read that with a hollow/semi hollow guitar has problems with that.

About the neck, would the curve on the back be like epiphone/gibson's SG/Les Paul's necks?

Would it be a good idea to send pictures to you guys of my ideal neck?
I picked up the Artcore, and plan on saving for the deville.
I got the transparent red, and I love it! So far, I haven't had any problems with it.

I'm just looking for a case for it now. Does anyone know if I can just get an Epiphone es350 case for it? Or is there any cases cheaper and have the same amount of protection?