Has anyone had any experience with this? Apparently this "Mike Galaxy" dude charges bands $590 to put their song on a sampler CD that he sends to a huge list of music industry professionals. I've heard a lot about this being a scam where they take your money, make a CD, and do nothing with it, so I would just avoid this dude, but I'm working with a band that recently paid him the $590 and their song is apparently on the next sampler, and now "Mike Galaxy" wants them to play a showcase in LA in February. They showed me the contract (I can post it here if anyone wants to see it) and it doesn't even mention that they're going to send the CD sampler to anyone, or even make more than one copy. The band seems to think he's an okay guy because he's "not promising anything" but I really think it's a scam. Any thoughts?
that is a complete waste. don't fall for it.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Read this for how someone can be making a lot of money from you.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16243393#post16243393

Sounds dodgy to me, I bet the gig involves either paying for a place on the bill or having to sell a cirtain amount of tickets.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by teddytheturtle
Has anyone had any experience with this? Apparently this "Mike Galaxy" dude charges bands $590 to put their song on a sampler CD that he sends to a huge list of music industry professionals. I've heard a lot about this being a scam where they take your money, make a CD, and do nothing with it, so I would just avoid this dude, but I'm working with a band that recently paid him the $590 and their song is apparently on the next sampler, and now "Mike Galaxy" wants them to play a showcase in LA in February. They showed me the contract (I can post it here if anyone wants to see it) and it doesn't even mention that they're going to send the CD sampler to anyone, or even make more than one copy. The band seems to think he's an okay guy because he's "not promising anything" but I really think it's a scam. Any thoughts?

The thing is I can't seriously think you actually gave him $590 just to put one song onto a cd. There are much better scams that do it for $40.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by FuzzyBear

that $590 would have been so much better spent on studio time

Or a cheap drum kit, or a spare guitar or bass, or a pretty decent second hand vocal PA, or you could have loads of your own CDs made up with a whole albums worth of songs on them, which you can then sell for twice as much, or a large batch of t-shirts with your name on them, or badges, or a mountain of drum sticks and plectrums, ect, ect, ect....