Page 1 of 2
I'm planning on going to college for music recording/engineering or possibly majoring in buisness and minoring in music and I need to start looking at colleges that specialize in music. I'm already looking at Berklee College of Music in Boston.

So what are some good recommendations?
Julliard Jazz is a great music school, as is berklee, but if you're going into it with guitar, be advised that they only take 20 guitarists every year, and it is extremely difficult to get into. Julliard is as well, because as we all know the music industry is very competitive, but many colleges have a pretty good music department, especially if its only your minor.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by CurbstompBass
The University of North Texas is a good one. I live right by it, and it has a great music program.

im actually going to go there in fall 09.. cant wait!

UNT is 3rd in the country for music programs
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
If you can afford it, good for you... more bucks then me.

I'm in Community College of Philadelphia for the same thing. I honestly can't tell you if it's good or not because I just started. Next semester I'll know.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
My friends friends cousin went to a school in Washington that had something to do with stage setup and all that stuff. He later worked at the Gorge Amphlitheater and set up the stages and shit. He met many famous musicians and later became Kid Rocks' right hand man. He died and got a thank you in one of Kid Rocks' CD's.

Pretty cool if I do say so myself. You can still do music theory and that but go with that and get connections with huge acts.

Although if you just want to learn theory and all of that stuff, then go to a community college. I heard that for Berkelee you already have to know theory before you try and get in, and well, if you don't know music theory, you most likely won't get in. Go to CC for a couple years then see if you can transfer to Berkelee.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
I'd go with Berklee.
John Petrucci and others went there, it must be good!
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Berkley is a joke
seriously
mention it around jazz musicians and theyll laugh
north Texas is a good idea
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
if your gonna go to beklee i suggest going to community college first then transfering. taking a GED course there such as math,english,etc are 500 dollars a semester.
so unless u got some major cash just transfer. my mate did this and hes going to attend this fall.hes teaching me a capload of jaz right now and everything i need to know to get in.

he said for the audition you can play anything you want,but you have to know your theory and scales.they will ask you to improvise over a certain key, and they will play certai things on a piano and ask you to duplicate it on guitar.

overall its not that hard to get into if you know your stuff. that thing someone said about only letting 20 students in for guitar is a bunch of bull. you dont have to be a guitar god to get in,you can be an ok guitarist,all you need to know is your theory etc.

its aout 25,000 a year minimum i believe,they sent me info on the college in the mail as i asked for it. theres about 4,000 students total. and about 11 students a class.

EDIT:And to the guy saying berklee is a joke,thats only people who attend it prior to 2007. as of 2007 an audition is mandatory and its not as easy as getting into anymore. before they accepted anyone who had a recommendation from a music teacher or someone similar.
I go to Berklee. Its my first semester and it is really great. I'm already learning a lot of stuff. You do not need much theory knowledge to get in, as long as you have potential. They do not only take 20 guitarists per year, I don't know who came up with that ridiculous stat. Basically I got in without being able to read music, and having basic theory knowledge. This year was their toughest year to get in, only 1000 students where accepted from about 4000 applicants or something, but if you have potential and a pretty decent skill you can get in.
^^^yeahh?
thats crazy. the told my mate that it was a good thing he could read music,because they dont accept many people who dont. because "you may be a fantastic player,but if you cant read music,there is bound to be someone just as good if no better than you that can"
Quote by Iriathz
I'd go with Berklee.
John Petrucci and others went there, it must be good!

People like you should keep away from my school.

Anyways, Berklee has a top notch MP&E program, so you're right to consider it. However, you'll also want to consider the $38,000 tuition-per-year price tag.

Quote by bimsterfls
I go to Berklee. Its my first semester and it is really great.

DUDE!

What's your name? Where you living? 150?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RHDIII
Berkley is a joke
seriously
mention it around jazz musicians and theyll laugh

Yea, that's why my harmony teacher is one of the most sought after clinicians out there.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
People like you should keep away from my school.

Anyways, Berklee has a top notch MP&E program, so you're right to consider it. However, you'll also want to consider the $38,000 tuition-per-year price tag.

DUDE!

What's your name? Where you living? 150?

My name is Bill, and I wasn't able to get housing, so I have to commute from my house an hour away. Pretty shitty
Quote by bimsterfls
My name is Bill, and I wasn't able to get housing, so I have to commute from my house an hour away. Pretty shitty

Ah dang. Well nice to meet you anyways, and hope we'll bump into each other some times...

I'm JC by the way.

I live on Westland Ave, which is right down on Mass Ave after you pass 150.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I have a friend who is in Music Industry at the University of Southern Cal. They have a great program there and of course you can make great connections studying in LA.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ah dang. Well nice to meet you anyways, and hope we'll bump into eachother some times...

ah, ya I think I know where you're talking about. Maybe we'll see each other around
Quote by bimsterfls
ah, ya I think I know where you're talking about. Maybe we'll see each other around

Yeah. I live right across from Whole Foods if you know where that is.

Anyways, what classes are you taking?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yeah. I live right across from Whole Foods if you know where that is.

Anyways, what classes are you taking?

All of the basic classes. I definitely could be in Harmony 2 though i think, but I just feel like taking it easy...I've got enough shit to do as it is, it would help if SOME of it was stuff I know and can breeze through hahaha.

What about you?
Quote by bimsterfls
All of the basic classes. I definitely could be in Harmony 2 though i think, but I just feel like taking it easy...I've got enough shit to do as it is, it would help if SOME of it was stuff I know and can breeze through hahaha.

What about you?

I'm in Harmony 2... Mitch Haupers is the man!

Ear Training 4 (Seidman), Arranging 1 (McArthur), music tech (Turnbull), private lessons (Shumate). I got out of College Writing though with my AP scores so I'm in Art History. In fact, my AP scores cover about 60-70% of all the required liberal arts courses.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I go to the Art Institute. There are Ai's all over the place, but apparently, the one I attend, Vancouver, is the best. I can hardly recommend it.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm in Harmony 2... Mitch Haupers is the man!

Ear Training 4 (Seidman), Arranging 1 (McArthur), music tech (Turnbull), private lessons (Shumate). I got out of College Writing though with my AP scores so I'm in Art History. In fact, my AP scores cover about 60-70% of all the required liberal arts courses.

haha wow...
Quote by bimsterfls
haha wow...

Yea bro. Get your APs in if you got any. Almost all subjects count for something.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bimsterfls
Nah, I don't have any. I wish I did, college writing sucks

Haha yea...I think when I left we were reading crap about the meaning of names. So pretentious and pointless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ah dang. Well nice to meet you anyways, and hope we'll bump into each other some times...

I'm JC by the way.

Hey! You and that other guy! I go to BU. Not as cool as Berklee, but it is still fun. I'm living at the Hyatt in Cambridge right now.
Middle Tennessee State University. I was in their recording industry program for the semester I attended the school. It's a great school. It's in Murfreesboro which is about 40 miles southeast of Nashville. So if you're a Gibson fan, you can go to the place they make 'em.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Quote by Seryaph
Hey! You and that other guy! I go to BU. Not as cool as Berklee, but it is still fun. I'm living at the Hyatt in Cambridge right now.

DUDE!

Wow I didn't know so many people were so close. BU is awesome too. I got a few friends there as well. I rehearse with BU's student-ran orchestra. You're basically closer to BU West right?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
DUDE!

Wow I didn't know so many people were so close. BU is awesome too. I got a few friends there as well. I rehearse with BU's student-ran orchestra. You're basically closer to BU West right?

Yeah pretty much. I take the BU bridge to cross the river and that puts me right between BU West and BU East. Haha, I do a lot of walking.

I had no idea there were so many UGer's in this area.
Quote by Seryaph
Yeah pretty much. I take the BU bridge to cross the river and that puts me right between BU West and BU East. Haha, I do a lot of walking.

I had no idea there were so many UGer's in this area.

We should all meet up and talk about UG!

kidding...(about the UG part)

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
We should all meet up and talk about UG!

kidding...(about the UG part)

I'm down, but only if we refer to each other as our UG screennames.
Quote by Seryaph
I'm down, but only if we refer to each other as our UG screennames.

That's not gay at all....

But it's no matter because my sn is my real name anyway, which was a bad idea considering the stuff I say on here.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's not gay at all....

But it's no matter because my sn is my real name anyway, which was a bad idea considering the stuff I say on here.

Hahaha, that is strange! Your sn is my real name as well!
Quote by Seryaph
Hahaha, that is strange! Your sn is my real name as well!

...I call bs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
...I call bs.

You found me out . . .

I guess if we meet up we can use our real names . . .
Page 1 of 2