Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anybody could tell me about some descent poweramps. I've been in the middle of trying to choose between a pretty big number of amps lately, and I was sort of leaning towards just getting a rack preamp/poweramp setup. At this time, I'm looking at the Engl 530 preamp, and I was looking at the VHT two-fifty-two poweramp, but thought there may be a better option for me. I play mainly metal, stuff anywere from 'All Shall Perish' and 'The Absence' to stuff like 'Five Finger Death Punch' and other music much like those bands. I believe the VHT two-fifty-two is about $1300USD brand new, so I'm not looking for anything higher in price than the VHT is new.

Keep in mind that I'll be buying used though. I was looking around at the VHT poweramp price on the used market, and I'd like to keep it around the same price. I see them on average going for $650-$950 lately. I'm not able to try out these products.

If you have any questions then I'll do my best to answer. Right now I'm playing through a Peavey Cab with Celestion G12K-85's, but I'll be purchasing a new cab shortly after the preamp/power of amp head that I choose to purchase.
carvin has a really nice power amp for like $650 I think

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=TS100

EDIT: actually it is $550
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Last edited by JLT73 at Sep 29, 2008,
I have used it a couple of times, one of my good buddies owns it. He uses the Marshall JMP-1 preamp and it sounds great with the power amp. It is a pretty transparent power amp. You will hear the voice of the preamp shine through with it.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
well theres the
VHT 2150
Mesa 2:90
Mesa 20:20
Mesa 50:50
Peavey Classic 50/50
Peavey Classic 120/120
also, I'd go with VHT or Mesa, but i dont really think the power amp will have a huge effect on your tone, its noticeable though.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I know it wont be a HUGE effect on my tone, but there will be an effect. I'm just looking to get the most I can for what money I do have. Before I check, are all those poweramps in the price range I stated? Just asking because I know some of the Mesa poweramps can get expensive.
I'm getting a mesa 2:90 off craigslist for $550, not super expensive. just look for great deals.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab