okay, i write.. quite a bit, but my song quickly mimic my influences, how are some good ways to get your own distinctive sound? that's you, not your influences?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
well you know what ur influences sound like, so just dont do that lol, .
just learn a few styles of music then like like if the mated and had a kid, it would sound like what....
ex, blues + metal = ?
You need to have a wide range of influences.

expand youself and try new things. this will also help you with guitar.

I listen to alot of Metallica, and everything i played sounded like Metallica.When I joined a band, one of my friends introduced me to slayer.and i recently bought the guitar world DVD thing they put out this month,and now im trying to add a little more of a John Frusciante style to my playing(the dude from the Chili Peppers)

you add this all together and you have what? you have me, that's what.

so you just need to find you
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
Don't just take inspiration from music, think about what you value and what's important to you. Think about words/imagery/phrases/situations/feelings are of particular importance.
Everyday noises can be quite helpful as well, just go a bit crazy, always jot things down.

Feel free to add me and listen to more hilarious jokes such as the above.
Here is what I did to find my style.

I picked up my guitar, and then improvised a song.

That right there is one of the hardest but easiest ways to find your style.

Time for a little mind-related stuff

When improvising, your brain makes you play whatever would sound right and feel right to you. You know what kind of music you would like to hear, even if you might not be able to think of it without your guitar next to you, and improvising whatever comes to your mind can be the best way to find that.

If you want to try it this way, just give it some time and then eventually it will work.

That is how I began to write my music.

It is still okay to have inspirations though. Sometimes I hear a song, and then I write something with a similar style to it.

Just don't do it too much to the same band, that could make it sound too similar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by misfitsramones
blues + metal = ?

groove metal
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
as the other guy already stated try to have a wide range of influences. Some of my influences are for example Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse, Bloc Party, Kanye West (yeah what can i say i like to find cool beats) and most recently i started to listen to radiohead yeah they are weird but they are weirdly good

oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that
Last edited by EbEar at Oct 14, 2008,
I can't really speak to your writing lyrically, but I've found that as someone said earlier, having a broad range of influences can allow you to mix your influences to get your own inidividual style. I write most of the actual music for my band, and what I've found happening is that my taste for Bach, movie soundtracks, and punk-pop has churned out my own 'sound.'

So my advice to you is to broaden your horizons. Pick up some new bands, some new genres, and let it worm its way into your muse.
just write.'
keep writing.
never stop.
your style will find you,
you dont neccesarily find it.
Quote by EbEar
as the other guy already stated try to have a wide range of influences. Some of my influences are for example Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse, Bloc Party, Kanye West (yeah what can i say i like to find cool beats) and most recently i started to listen to radiohead yeah they are weird but they are weirdly good

sigged and thank you very much

I was mesmorized the first time i listened to him on that guitar world DVD

thats really what introduced me to him, and now im a big fan of RHCP
Quote by EbEar

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
Quote by yao151
sigged and thank you very much

I was mesmorized the first time i listened to him on that guitar world DVD

thats really what introduced me to him, and now im a big fan of RHCP

Youre welcome mate I used to be a metallica fan, i still listen to them a bit but RHCP is my favourite band, you should listen to som frusciante solo stuff if you havent, that is truly mezmerizing
Stay up for three day straight without listening to any music, wtching any movies or talk to anyone. Just sit down and play for three days (no sleep).
either expand the amount of possible influences you can draw from, or just write.
dont delete anything, dont worry about making perfect rhymes, dont worry about writing anything stupid, just write.

it'll come eventually. it just takes time.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
^ Yeah. Just be patient. It took me years to find my 'style' and i only found it after i expanded my taste in music. Maybe it will be quicker for you, but certainly a wide range of influences helps. And always write something, just never get rid of the stuff you write.
It's gonna be a blue day
hey, wut issue of guitar world was frusciante in...i wanna find it next itme i go to guitar center
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!