Okay, I have a new Dell coming in the mail soon, and it comes with one stick of 800 MHz 2 GB DDR2 memory. Now, I was intending to to use my two matching 667 MHz 2 GB sticks from my other Vista PC to bump me up to 4 GB total. Now, basically I want to know if it would be okay to run 667 MHz sticks in a computer that originally shipped with an 800 MHz one.
Sure. It'll run at the slower speed, but it's difficult to notice. However, if your system's just 32bit, forget it as it won't take advantage of 4GB.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
why not?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Running a RAM front side bus lower than the CPU isn't generally a very good idea. 2GB is more than enough for most applications (although I hear Vista loves eating up hardware) and I don't think the jump to 4GB is really worth the downgrade in FSB speed. Personally I would stick with the 2GB until you can afford to buy a second stick (or sell all three sticks and buy a matching pair of 2GB 800Mhz).

EDIT: but if you want more memory you might as well just shove in all three and get 6gigs of memory (while you may want to take advantage of the dual channel you might as well just go with the 800Mhz from the beginning then for speed).
Last edited by mattvl at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Sure. It'll run at the slower speed, but it's difficult to notice. However, if your system's just 32bit, forget it as it won't take advantage of 4GB.

But he technically already has 4 GIG I believe. 2 GIG from the current, and 2 GIG from his new one. Might as well install both, get about 3.2 - 3.5 GIG of usable RAM, and use multithreading as well.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by metaldud536
Didn't you post the list about running over a pc and getting a mac just a while ago?

Yea but when I said that it turned into a PC vs Mac thread and we don't need another thread turning into a PC vs Mac thread
Quote by mattvl
Running a RAM front side bus lower than the CPU isn't generally a very good idea. 2GB is more than enough for most applications (although I hear Vista loves eating up hardware) and I don't think the jump to 4GB is really worth the downgrade in FSB speed. Personally I would stick with the 2GB until you can afford to buy a second stick (or sell all three sticks and buy a matching pair of 2GB 800Mhz).

EDIT: but if you want more memory you might as well just shove in all three and get 6gigs of memory (while you may want to take advantage of the dual channel you might as well just go with the 800Mhz from the beginning then for speed).

I'm not to sure about what you said about running RAM that has a lower FSB than your CPU. This Dell right here (the first one in the four columns -> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-inspiron-518?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ref=dthp) has a 800 MHz processor and 667 MHz memory. It can't be that bad of an idea if the PC ships like that...
Quote by Maus24
But he technically already has 4 GIG I believe. 2 GIG from the current, and 2 GIG from his new one. Might as well install both, get about 3.2 - 3.5 GIG of usable RAM, and use multithreading as well.

I thought it was 2 current, 4 in his older one...in any case, he might as well, since using two channels will result in a speed increase that may offset the minor drop. Seriously, in basic computer use, 667 and 800 speeds are unnoticeable. Heck, even extremely high RAM speeds and low latencies don't make that much an impact when gaming.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
I thought it was 2 current, 4 in his older one...in any case, he might as well, since using two channels will result in a speed increase that may offset the minor drop. Seriously, in basic computer use, 667 and 800 speeds are unnoticeable. Heck, even extremely high RAM speeds and low latencies don't make that much an impact when gaming.

Thanks, all I really needed to know was if it would be compatible and if I would notice any real speed difference.

Thanks again.

/thread