Ok, im nearing completion on a 2x12 cab that I've been building in school. I would like to use this cab for my Valve Jr. and My Bugera 6260 head.

Now my problem is figuring out what wattage of speakers to get. I cant remember what the VJ is rated for in wattage, and the Bugera is 120 watts, so i need at least that. I took an electronics class last year and i used to know how to figure all this stuff out, but since then i have forgotten some of that useful information.

If someone has a formula that i can use to figure out the wattage, or just happens to know what i need, please feel free to contribute.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
i think you mean the ohms.

The wattage doesnt really matter as long as its higher then what you got. Especially with tube amps. Most tube amps wattage are rated on their clean channel, so they can get quite a bit higher on the gain channel. So if you got tw 100 watt speakers, you would be fine for either.

But the ohms or impedance must match up
for example, if you need 4 ohms, you will probably get two 8ohm speakers in parallel

1/8 + 1/8 = 2/(8*r)
so resistance comes out to be 4 ohms.

But in series, the resistance or ohms would be 8 + 8 which would be 16
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Oh no, I already have the Ohms figured out, besides the VJ and the 6260 can match with pretty much any cab because they have different jacks/ a switch for impedance. I figure ill just go with 8 ohms because its in the middle.

ok so if i got two 100 watt speakers wired in series, would that give me a total of 200 watts, or am i being dumb? If it helps Im going to be using two 16 Ohm speakers wired in series to get 8ohms, but i might be wrong there too.

Edit: ok im on the right track but still wrong.

So i would need two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel to get 8 ohms

1/16 +1/16 =2/16= 8 right??
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Last edited by walker-rose at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by walker-rose
Oh no, I already have the Ohms figured out, besides the VJ and the 6260 can match with pretty much any cab because they have different jacks/ a switch for impedance. I figure ill just go with 8 ohms because its in the middle.

ok so if i got two 100 watt speakers wired in series, would that give me a total of 200 watts, or am i being dumb? If it helps Im going to be using two 16 Ohm speakers wired in series to get 8ohms, but i might be wrong there too.

you mean in parallel right? that would be 32 ohms. But yeah that should be fine for the speaker wattage. Im no expert though but im fairly sure you'll be fine, maybe get one of the more experienced people in here to clarify
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Yeah i figured it out after you edited your post, and i accordingly edited my post.

hopefully someone experienced will come along and show us the light.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Ok so if i get 2 80 watt speakers ill be good.

Thanks guys!
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.