So, I have a friend look to seriously redo his entire bass set up.

He's looking for:
Strings
An Amp
and possibly a bass?

He plays a heavy metal, metalcore, hardcore type mix. He tunes to Drop-A# (Bb). Also, Let's pretend there's no price range. Ask for more information.
Lol, A#. Come back when your friend sees bass more seriously.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Lol, A#. Come back when your friend sees bass more seriously.

shame on you.
A# is a perfectly reasonable drop tuning for a five string bass tuned standard BEADG.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I would go with Rotosounds or Ernie Ball for the strings.

There are plenty of Peavey(slightly overpriced but great), Ampeg, and Gallien Krueger (Goldline 1 x 15 + 2 x 10 make an awesome setup) amps out there, and they're all good brands, I would suggest them to him.

Spector, Schecter, Ibanez(SR500+, BTB300+) are good metal basses, a five string is also used fairly often in metal (at least in the bands I listen to).

These are only things that I've tried in the music store and they seemed to work well (except for the strings, I actually bought those and used them).
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
rotosounds are glorious strings.

and I like Acoustic, Ashdown, also look at Trace Elliot and Markbass
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Victory2134

shame on you.
A# is a perfectly reasonable drop tuning for a five string bass tuned standard BEADG.

Yeah, for real. I play in an alternative rock band, and when we tune down to drop D, my B is at an A. A# is perfectly respectable.
There is a lack of info in this thread.

If you play in A#, get an 18 inch subsubwoofer. Or actually, since there's no budget, get the 21" El Whappo Grande by Accugroove and make everyone shit their pants. For the top cabinet, the standard bass tone is the Ampeg 8x10, so even if that isn't your cab, 10s may be the way to go. But thefitz will come in here and demand you get a 2x12 or 4x12.

You'll need heavy strings, thinking 140 or 145+ for your low A#. If you get a bass, get one with a 35 or 36" scale unless you can explain exactly what you are doing.
Quote by IndianRockStar
You'll need heavy strings, thinking 140 or 145+ for your low A#. If you get a bass, get one with a 35 or 36" scale unless you can explain exactly what you are doing.

Other than 35" scale, can you buy any bass or string set (other than custom, I mean)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Wow, this all is probably going to be incredibly helpful. Very special thanks to every one who contributed. Keep the replies coming. It's good to know your options
Quote by IndianRockStar
For the top cabinet, the standard bass tone is the Ampeg 8x10, so even if that isn't your cab, 10s may be the way to go. But thefitz will come in here and demand you get a 2x12 or 4x12.

PLEASE.

It's really ridiculous to say that the Ampeg 810 is "the standard bass tone". It's way too biased to be standard anything, unless you need a standard of what it means to be overrated.

And, my dislike of the rig aside, I'm really not sure an 8x10 would suit his metal needs. Given, that would be a lot easier to say if we had decided on what head he was getting.

Fitz isn't alone either, for that kind of tuning and genre I would probably suggest a 2x12 to go along with a 1x18. Possibly a 4x10 instead, if he liked a little more punch and went up the scale a little more, but I'm convinced that an 8x10 would be too much.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
PLEASE.

It's really ridiculous to say that the Ampeg 810 is "the standard bass tone". It's way too biased to be standard anything, unless you need a standard of what it means to be overrated.

And, my dislike of the rig aside, I'm really not sure an 8x10 would suit his metal needs. Given, that would be a lot easier to say if we had decided on what head he was getting.

Fitz isn't alone either, for that kind of tuning and genre I would probably suggest a 2x12 to go along with a 1x18. Possibly a 4x10 instead, if he liked a little more punch and went up the scale a little more, but I'm convinced that an 8x10 would be too much.

Whether its good or not, the Ampeg 8x10 is undeniably the most popular bass cab in history. Maybe standard was the wrong word to use, but when more than half of the local bands in my area are using this cab, it stands for something. Keep in mind I don't even like the cab that much. But to say that it isn't the Marshall 4x12 in terms of renown is biased also.

I know a guy that plays in a metalcore band that uses and SVT and 8x10, and he sounds really nice in his band. Your41Plague also uses the same rig, and he plays metal also.
Quote by the humanity
Markbass

Don't get me wrong, I love the tone of a markbass, but it's not really what springs to mind when I think of an amp for metal. I've tried a Little Mark II and it's just too 'warm' for metal. But if you like that's fine.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by IndianRockStar
Whether its good or not, the Ampeg 8x10 is undeniably the most popular bass cab in history. Maybe standard was the wrong word to use, but when more than half of the local bands in my area are using this cab, it stands for something. Keep in mind I don't even like the cab that much. But to say that it isn't the Marshall 4x12 in terms of renown is biased also.

I know a guy that plays in a metalcore band that uses and SVT and 8x10, and he sounds really nice in his band. Your41Plague also uses the same rig, and he plays metal also.

Ok yeah. Most widely-used mosdef. I'm so sick of seeing it EVERYWHERE, it makes me a bit edgy.

And I can imagine it would be good for some sorts of metal, but if you're playing in drop Bb, I would imagine that the range you're in would be better suited to 12ers.

Then again, you're a metal player, and I'm more of a funk/prog kind of guy, so I guess you're better qualified.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by fleajr_1412
Don't get me wrong, I love the tone of a markbass, but it's not really what springs to mind when I think of an amp for metal. I've tried a Little Mark II and it's just too 'warm' for metal. But if you like that's fine.

well, I've found it sounds nice for metal.

I need to stop playing near the bridge, it makes everything growl like nuts.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by WhyLater
Ok yeah. Most widely-used mosdef. I'm so sick of seeing it EVERYWHERE, it makes me a bit edgy.

And I can imagine it would be good for some sorts of metal, but if you're playing in drop Bb, I would imagine that the range you're in would be better suited to 12ers.

Then again, you're a metal player, and I'm more of a funk/prog kind of guy, so I guess you're better qualified.

I'm not actually a metal player. Like heaviest I go is usually Maiden.

*shoots self in foot*

I mostly agree with what your saying, but I'm just saying not to rule out 10s entirely.
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-1001RBII-70050W-Biamp-Bass-Head?sku=482588

Gallien-Krueger Neo 412 4x12 Bass Speaker Cabinet
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Neo-412-4x12-Bass-Cabinet?sku=601072

Warwick Corvette $$ Double Buck 5-String Bass Guitar
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Corvette-Double-Buck-5String-Bass?sku=519185

everything I just posted would sound absolutely amazing together.
I would go for a Peavey VB-2, but that's just because I'm gassing for one right now. (Thank you Guitar Center for getting one!)
Quote by IndianRockStar
I'm not actually a metal player. Like heaviest I go is usually Maiden.

*shoots self in foot*

I mostly agree with what your saying, but I'm just saying not to rule out 10s entirely.

Yeah I usually don't even go as far as Maiden. I mean, I like'em, but it's not in my CD collection y'dig.

So we have reached an agreement, good sir! All variables considered, 10's certainly have potential, you're right.

But now I really am intrigued by Miss G's proposed rig, sounds like a winner to me...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I'd take a regular Corvette over a $$ though. $$s don't have -as much- growl. But they do growl quite a bit.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by gywo copta
I'd take a regular Corvette over a $$ though. $$s don't have -as much- growl. But they do growl quite a bit.

I agree with the advice, but not for the same reason. Both growl a lot, but the regulars just have a more natural tone in my ears. Humbuckers do have a distinctive tone, that once you hear in your own playing, you will never be able to ignore.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So, This has all been amazing advice. Now, Let's say he's looking for a fairly cheap, but ****ing sick sounding combo. He's gigs and records and the whole shabang.

Sorry for kind of contradicting what I first, I misunderstood what he wanted. He kinda just said I need a sweet bass rig, any recommendations... And I, being a guitarist, didn't know shi- about bass. So I asked you guys first. Becuase I don't think Peavey makes bass amps as sweet as they do guitar amps.
its drop B flat isn't it?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.