Okay I've tried a three-string sweep earlier today, and to my surprise I was better then I thought I was at it. I still have a question, and it might sound stupid, but hey here it goes.

Most sweeping patterns include hammer-on/pull-offs on the high e string. When I try them out, I find out that it's much easier for me to just pick every notes. Now I've heard a lot of people saying they add a hammer-on or a pull-off to make it easier, but for me it seems much harder. When trying to perform any with my pinky, far from where my index is anchored, it seems like my pinky is lacking a lot of strenght and the second note usually barely sound.

So my question basicly is, should I stick with picking every notes, or should I practice and play it with hammer-ons and pull-offs? Right now at the speed I'm practicing, picking every notes seems easier but I'm realising it might be a different story when it gets faster.

Thanks.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Learn both, I guess. Practice them both, both Legato and staright picking are very important techniques.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
do the hammer ons and pull offs. trust me it sounds a lot better. for some easy sweeps there's a song called bleeding mascara by atreyu that has a 3 string sweep for the intro. you could work on getting that up to speed (by the way the tunings drop c). this is how i learned basic sweeps. you may not like the song or the band but this is a great way to start out.
In general, I'd say work on your legato some - this is a sign of a bit of a weakness you have there. Do you know the 11 12 15 lick in cowboys from hell? This is fantastic practice for having good strong controlled legato. Due to the way it alternates between the picked and legato'd notes you are forced to match the rhythm and volume of the picked notes with the legato'd ones. Its good.
Quote by se012101
In general, I'd say work on your legato some - this is a sign of a bit of a weakness you have there. Do you know the 11 12 15 lick in cowboys from hell? This is fantastic practice for having good strong controlled legato. Due to the way it alternates between the picked and legato'd notes you are forced to match the rhythm and volume of the picked notes with the legato'd ones. Its good.

+1 to this, to me it sounds like your pinky might be a bit weak in general terms so it could do with some work, try running some scales and lines that you normally do but entirely legato and make sure you get the tone and volume consistent on a clean tone before going any further.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.