Harmonic minor scale , phyrgian and aeolian modes and a bunch of other exotic scales
"God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about?"-The Dude
True Arabian (and probably Turkish) music does not use our system of music; you can't play it on your guitar. However, Phrygian Dominant is a great scale to approximate their music.
what kind of system does it use?? im looking for more turkish than anything else, but ideally albanian. turkish and albanian are very similar in music so im trying to learn to play albanian music on my guitar.
They use microtones rather than semitones. You can definately approximate non-Western music with Western scales if you choose your notes carefully and phrase them well, though.

I know nothing about Albanian or Turkish music. However, Turkey is kind of in the Middle East and their population is mostly Muslim, so I would expect their music to be quite similar to Middle Eastern and Arabian music; via the transitive property, a=b, b=c, then a=c, Albanian music is probably similar to Arabian music, which can be very well approximated with the Phrygian Dominant scale: 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 30, 2008,
Isnt phrygian dominant 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 bangoodcharlote? Meh, nevermind, since it comes from you it's probably right lol!

I once heard about a pychadelic rock band who hired a sitar player to play on their songs, but in the end the guitarist had to recreate the sitar sound on the guitar because the sitar player was so used to the non-western rhythmic structure he couldnt get used to the standard rock beat!
I forgot the flat; you're correct. I gave you Mixolydian b2, which I've never heard of. I may have to play around with that, my new synthetic scale.

1 b2 3 4 5 6 b7 for those of you who have read my post post-edit.

Edit: Regarding the Sitar, that is an Indian instrument and would probably not be appropriate for Albanian music. However, Indian music can use some weird time like 17/13, stuff you'd never see in Western music.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
However, Indian music can use some weird time like 17/13, stuff you'd never see in Western music.

Except for Dream Theater
Quote by bangoodcharlote
They only use integer powers of 2 in the bottom of their time signatures.

Oh yeah. Guitar Pro doesnt let me play in 17/13.

How does playing in a '13' time signature work???