Yeah, all of a sudden my amp is making these loud popping noises, the (on) light is flashing on and off, and in the back (where the fan is) I see flashes of light...

i just bought the crate v-50 yesterday.... I've waited over a minute before I turn it on everytime, and I haven't played it higher then .5

what is wrong with my amp?
Are your powertubes plugged in all the way? Sounds like you have a tube arcing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Swap-Meet
how do I check?

just take out one of the tubes and put it in the microwave. this should make it glow if it works, if it doesnt it may need to be replaced
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Quote by Hendrix4ever
just take out one of the tubes and put it in the microwave. this should make it glow if it works, if it doesnt it may need to be replaced

O___O

Uhm.... that doesn't sound safe. I'd wait for feedback on that before doing it.

But that's just me.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Swap-Meet
what is a arcing?

Arcing is when an electric current jumps from one point to another through the air, producing a flash of light.
If the tube isn't in all the way, yes, if the tube is bad, yes, but you'll need a new tube.
Quote by Swap-Meet
the store said there were no guarantees though...?

+ if it's a tube they won't replace it?

Guess you're right, I'm really too impatient for my own good :/

Being impatient and inexperienced is a good way to get yourself burnt/electrocuted and possibly make things worse. Take the amp back to where you bought it from.
Quote by Nims
Being impatient and inexperienced is a good way to get yourself burnt/electrocuted and possibly make things worse. Take the amp back to where you bought it from.

The store doesn't offer any guarantee with it, i'm just gonna take it to the hardware store, get the stripped screws taken out, buy new screws for it, and check the tubes to see which aren't working... if everythingis unplugged how can I get burnt?
Quote by Swap-Meet
The store doesn't offer any guarantee with it, i'm just gonna take it to the hardware store, get the stripped screws taken out, buy new screws for it, and check the tubes to see which aren't working... if everythingis unplugged how can I get burnt?

Look dude, you're probably just going to ignore anything I say anyway... but here goes!

Yes, even with an amp unplugged you could get burnt, electrocuted or even killed. Have you heard of a capacitor? Do you know what it is? Do you know what it does? Just because your amp is unplugged does not mean it's safe to poke and prod (especially if you don't know what you're doing)
Quote by Nims
Look dude, you're probably just going to ignore anything I say anyway... but here goes!

Yes, even with an amp unplugged you could get burnt, electrocuted or even killed. Have you heard of a capacitor? Do you know what it is? Do you know what it does? Just because your amp is unplugged does not mean it's safe to poke and prod (especially if you don't know what you're doing)

Exactly. Electronic devices store an electric charge in them even if they are turned off and unplugged. If you don't know what you're doing then don't fool with it yourself. Even if the store doesn't offer a guarantee (I'm sure if you went in there and explained you just bought it and have only played it once and that you are experiencing problems they will be understanding about it), you should still take it to the store you bought it at and have them look at it.

IMO its worth paying to have it repaired by a professional tech than to risk serious injury.
well I just spent like 30 minutes with my dad and unscrewed the screws so I can get to the tubes....the 6L6 power tubes are those big black cylinder shaped things?

I really don't have any cash to be paying an electrician the 150$ i had I just lent to someone. People on here say it's as easy as changing a lightbulb...and they say the risks are the same but the tubes wouldn 't come out easily

is it dangerous to put the amp on standby and see which tubes light up and which don't (without the backing on?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoeXHIEbyx0

in that video the tubes that are shown are a lot bigger than the ones that I see on my amp

that's the shot of the inside of my amp...Where are the tubes :/ ?
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 30, 2008,
#1 Take it back to the shop
#2 If they dont do anything aobut it tell them there piles of sh!t and you'll never buy from them or let you're friends buy from them
#3 Find a local guitar tech that knows what he's doing and wont get killed.
Quote by pacoasterrider
#1 Take it back to the shop
#2 If they dont do anything aobut it tell them there piles of sh!t and you'll never buy from them or let you're friends buy from them
#3 Find a local guitar tech that knows what he's doing and wont get killed.

they don't cover it, I don't know of any guitar techs in montreal that don't overprice the **** out of everything
Uh, your tubes are in that black shroud. There was no need to take off the back, which is HIGHLY DANGEROUS. The black things are filter caps, which WILL kill you if they discharge into you. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT touch those. Not to mention if something falls in there, and it grounds out, it can cook your amp.
Do you guys think I should get it fixed by a professional for 50$. and then have Crate send me a new set of tubes (2X Power tubes, and 3X Pre-Amp tubes) for free (already biased)...so this way I'll have a full set of tubes in case more of them blow?

or just get crate to send me a B stock amp?

This is really ****ing annoying the tubes barely lasted 5 hours of playing time (spread out in two days)
I wish I could delete my existence from this thread for liability reasons. I feel like we're going to see a "buy my gear because I now have terets syndrome and can't play" thread starting tomorrow...
Dude, take it to a tech, you obviously don't know what you're doing. I haven't seen a picture showing the tubes, but I'd guess they are in the black cage thing under the chassis. You can't bias tubes, you bias the amp to match the tubes.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Dude, take it to a tech, you obviously don't know what you're doing. I haven't seen a picture showing the tubes, but I'd guess they are in the black cage thing under the chassis. You can't bias tubes, you bias the amp to match the tubes.

oh...well yeah I said I'm either gonna bring it to the tech, or just get a new one from crate, i think i'll just replace the tube and then get a new set from crate.
Quote by CJRocker
Uh, your tubes are in that black shroud. There was no need to take off the back, which is HIGHLY DANGEROUS. The black things are filter caps, which WILL kill you if they discharge into you. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT touch those. Not to mention if something falls in there, and it grounds out, it can cook your amp.

+1

Swap-meet,those black cylinder shaped things all over the circuit board, those are capacitors. Touch one the wrong way and you're likely to be fried. So yes, take it somewhere to get it repaired or you're highly likely to injure yourself.
ummmmm, mate, im not seeing any tubes there, either i missed them or you just vulled of the cover for the curuit board?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Nims
I wish I could delete my existence from this thread for liability reasons. I feel like we're going to see a "buy my gear because I now have terets syndrome and can't play" thread starting tomorrow...

Quit being a giant douche about this. The kid is patiently asking what the hell he needs to do to get his amp fixed and you're acting like he's trying to wear the amp as a hat. If he didn't want help he wouldn't have asked.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Quit being a giant douche about this. The kid is patiently asking what the hell he needs to do to get his amp fixed and you're acting like he's trying to wear the amp as a hat. If he didn't want help he wouldn't have asked.

yeah well, not to bag on the TS, but im getting the vibe that hes being a bit stubborn about the advice we're giving him so for Nims to say something like that isnt totally out of line.
Quote by Ekim423
yeah well, not to bag on the TS, but im getting the vibe that hes being a bit stubborn about the advice we're giving him so for Nims to say something like that isnt totally out of line.

Still slightly though. He really just needs somebody to instruct him on how to get to the tubes instead of just saying "you're doing it wrong" and "you're so stupid I might get sued for helping you." =/

Stupid name.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/caps_p.html read this, apply the knowledge, and youll be safe from any of the claimed nightmares this thread is spreading and ready to kick ass on your amp.

a likely problem is that the tube tighteners(spring mechanisms that hold tubes tightly in their sockets) are loose, that is not an uncommon problem.
Quote by Shinozoku
Still slightly though. He really just needs somebody to instruct him on how to get to the tubes instead of just saying "you're doing it wrong" and "you're so stupid I might get sued for helping you." =/

this is true. okay so we both make some valid statements
Quote by Shinozoku

You read this thread as the OP being patient? Really? Did you see the other threads too?

The OP is obviously not mechanically inclined or experienced.

That said, I could probably spend ~30 minutes or so on google and learn everything I could possibly need to know on how to disassemble an amp and replace tubes. Rather than doing that, he spent his time posting here and completely ignoring any and all advice given.

If he were working on a toilet, a tree house or hell even an engine, I'd be fully supportive and offer all the advice he could want. The fact is this is a potentially dangerous system and being inexperienced and impatient is a sure fire way to make things worse and possibly injure yourself in the process.