Lately I've been using the martin clapton's choice strings, i think they sound awesome at first but my guitars tone fades noticeably after a few days. How long are strings supposed to keep a good tone for? Any suggestions on strings that will give me awesome tone and stay nice and bright for a while?
well they should last longer than a few days O.o
Uhh any string should sound good for a while, try streching them before you put them on
It depends. If your hands are naturally more sweaty and acidic then your hands will eat through strings like a fat boy all over a twinkie. My hands will kill any strings. Even coated ones. Coated strings last as long as uncoated strings for me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yea that could be it, when i put new strings on i tend to play for a long time till i get bored. Im looking at my strings i put on today and parts of the strings (mostly where i do chords and other random spots) look dull like they might be starting to rust already. So would that be the acids/sweat from my fingers killing my new strings? Im talkin like an afternoon of playing is all i can get out of strings? Just doesnt seem right
I can usually get about 5 hours of bright tone before it starts to get that played in sound. If what you really want is that new string brightness then you're going to have a hard time feeling satisfied with any brand of string. There's a certain "played in" tone that's neither bright nor dull that a lot of people, including myself, really like.
Equipment:

Yeah, also don't clean them too hard, it wears them very easily.
You haven't made it anywhere until they make an action figure of you.
i hate the new string sound, to damn twangy if it lasted more then 5 hours i would have to get greasy fingers right quick.
Quote by darondood

Umm, no. You're saying that the cloth you're using to wipe them down is harder than the metal the strings are made of, so no. Wipe as hard as you need to get the crap off them, and it doesn't "wear them very easily". Acids and the other corrosive chemicals in our sweat is what wears them down. And the frets of course, because those ARE metal and will wear them down, especially if you do a lot of bends.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by darondood

That's just plain wrong. If a softer metal like copper cant even scratch stainless steel when you rub them together, then what do you think a cloth can do?
Equipment:

well played in tone i like dr rares for this also make sure there phos bronze and not 80 20 they dont last as long as phos bronze