So, I'm looking to put some new pickups into a guitar that I'm getting, whether it be the Epiphone LP Custom, Fender Fat Strat, Fender 72 Tele Deluxe (not sure about this one), or the Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow. I play a lot of alternative, pop/punk, and punk music, such as Paramore, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, along with others, but I also play heavier stuff, such as Muse, Avenged Sevenfold, and Motley Crue, but I don't go much heavier than that. Some tell me to go with high-output humbuckers, like the Duncan Distortions (Sh-6), while others tell me tell me to do a combo of a Duncan Custom (SH-5) and a Duncan '59 (SH-1). I'll probably be playing out of an all-tube combo, such as a Mesa, Traynor, or Orange, unless I save up enough for a decent Marshall. So. Yes. Please help. For more "in-depth" look at what I'm trying to aim for, here's another thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966186
Well, right now I've got a squier strat, playing through a fender 15g, no pedals. It's served me well, but after three years, I'd say it is time to move up.
Last edited by Raxef at Sep 30, 2008,
1)New amp
2)New guitar
3)New pickups (if needed. you may love your tone after switching amps and guitars!)

Buy them in that order.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
1)New amp
2)New guitar
3)New pickups (if needed. you may love your tone after switching amps and guitars!)

Buy them in that order.

+1

Buying a new amp for the same price as those pickups would cost (used vox valvetronix or roland cube perhaps) would make more of a difference.
I wouldn't worry at all about new pickups.

If you think your guitar plays well, I'd get a new amp first.

If you feel your guitar is limiting your learning as a player, then it'd be time for a guitar. But why plan for replacing pickups before you even buy a new guitar?
Pickups are for tweaking your tone, not for straight up improving your tone. If you don't have your "ideal amp", how can you know what's lacking about your tone to tweak it? Pickups don't make as big a difference as you may have been lead to believe.
If you get a new amp, and a 73 Deluxe, you should atleast be good on playing Paramore because...well...That's what Josh plays! =P
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
i agree on the new amp and guitar. forget about the pickups for now.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC