This solo is for an "epic" sounding song, So of cource I wanted an epic sounding solo. This is my first attempt at the "epic" type sound. So any comments are welcome. Also I don't know what to put for the ending, it just kind of stops so if you can help that would be awesome. C4C.
Attachments:
epic.zip
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
Let the riff go on for a little after the solo and then make it end abruptly. Either that or make it fade out.
I was gonna check it out, then I realized I don't have guitar pro anymore.-.-
What sucks is that 'epic' is the only sound I can do well.
Quote by Froboarder
I was gonna check it out, then I realized I don't have guitar pro anymore.-.-
What sucks is that 'epic' is the only sound I can do well.

You should get it because I really don't know what to do here
Jeff Loomis

Quote by madhampster
You should get it because I really don't know what to do here

Could you possibly record it?
Or export the gp5 file to mp3?
Quote by Froboarder
Could you possibly record it?
Or export the gp5 file to mp3?

I really wish I could record it but I have not the technology.
but here's a midi
Attachments:
epic.zip
Jeff Loomis

The first part of the solo was brilliant. However, I don't like the fast run in bar 12, it seems out of flow and for me anyway ruins the flow of the former part of the solo.

As for the second part of the solo, it was good, nothing wrong with it, but it didn't sound epic. Epic does not mean constant arpeggios repeating.
Epic for me is a build up, making it sound big and huge and in your face, making you go 'wow, that was amazing'. However, bar 35 onwards was really good. It sounded more epic than the rest of the solo. Arpeggios are good, but only in moderation. You can't have whole solo being arpeggio triplets. Makes it kinda repetitive and boring.

For me it wasn't epic, but it was good. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it's not what you're aiming for in my opinion.
Overall epicness 3/10
However, my rating would be 7/10 because it was alright.
C4C?
Link in my sig.

►_Eggonesix_◄
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Last edited by eggo_boi_15 at Sep 30, 2008,
To be honest it was kind of bland. It also wasn't really a solo at all exactly.

It started off well enough, the acoustic part was nice, and the melody overtop of it was really good. But it was a melody, not a solo. Still it was a good strong start.

From there, you went to a generic powerchord riff, with a bunch of generic arpeggios laid over itop only occasionally altering the pattern to run up or down whatever scale you were playing in.

It lacks everything that makes a solo a solo. It has no movement, no phrasing, no emphasis, no creativity. It's just bland and anything but epic.

Sorry if I'm coming across a little harsh, but you really do need to rethink what you've got.

If you're up for my suggestions, I'd say you should keep the first acoustic bit, and rework the entire last half.

Having a simple powerchord progression is okay, and it's generally better for soloing over anyway, however your progression itself needs to be altered some. 3 bars of E, 2 of G 2 of C and 1 of D is just pain weird. Also, you might try changing chords between bars instead of only at the start of a bar.

The next section of chords works, but by this time the E is a little stale. If you want some actual movement in your song you should shift the focal chord to something different.

As for the solo guitar? Don't get me wrong, using straight scale runs and arpeggios isn't a bad thing, but you've got to do more than that. A lot more than that. You need to create some kind of rhythm, you need to pause on strong notes to both impact and cause connection to the listener. You need to figure out how to create a kind of mood to convey. And during that process you need to find ways to impress the listener with your blazing technical abilities.

If you're going for epic sounding solo, you may want to start off slower with kind of a themed solo then work your way into the blistering arpeggios/scale runs/legato/tapping/whatevering... The real trick is to figure out the exact point where that kind of thing goes from sounding cool and impressive into a bunch of pointless wanking.
Thanks eggo and icronic. You're crits were really helpful. I'm not so good at trying to make the "epic" sound. I'll try and incorporate more than just arpeggios. I was just trying lots of arpeggios because all the epic sounding solos i've heard had lots of arpeggios. However I think i will try something new.
Jeff Loomis