So I want to build the "Thor" from "www.runnoffgroove.com".
EDIT:

I'm now building the original Thor without Tube Screamer or Tone Stack, if any one has ideas on how to improve (or get more gain) please do suggest.

Old Design
Would this work?
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Last edited by pinguinpanic at Sep 30, 2008,
The biggest problem is that you are not taking into account the fact that your EQ is going to cut out a large part of your signal. Tonestacks rob tone they don't add it so you need to boost your signal enough to drive the tonestack and then you need to boost it again after the tonestack so that you don't sound like your amp is submerged in a tank of jello.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The biggest problem is that you are not taking into account the fact that your EQ is going to cut out a large part of your signal. Tonestacks rob tone they don't add it so you need to boost your signal enough to drive the tonestack and then you need to boost it again after the tonestack so that you don't sound like your amp is submerged in a tank of jello.

Ah I see, thanks for the suggestions, so it might be wiser to not have a tonestack, or would I be able to maintain the sound by an op-amp in front of and after the equalizer.

Also, a friend of mine can work with steel, so he's going to make a nice polished stainless steel container for it. I was thinking of making it look like a head, or make it a 19" inch.
Perhaps it would also be cool te replicate the whole Plexi, any ideas?
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
A tonestack is fine, you just need to work it in better.

The website you listed has a different schematic of a marshall plexi type preamp with a tonestack that looks more like a real plexi

Not taking any online orders.
Do you think you really need a tonestack? The bright and bottom switches are really quite effective already and can be tweaked to taste if needed. If you can just breadboard the stock circuit first, you might find yourself liking it the way it is. And I hate Tubescreamers so you can guess my stance on that...

Though it's a decent circuit the Thunderchief isn't as Plexi/Super Lead-ish as the Thor in my opinion despite how much closer the Thunderchief looks on paper. I've built both FWIW, did the Chief without the tonestack though. The Thor is definitely a nice circuit, puts all of the boutique Marshall in a box pedals I've tried/cloned to shame
Thanks for your advice both, I think I will build it without tonestack then, and I've just been calculating a bit and the tube screamer with the 1M pot is really overkill so I think I'm leaving that out aswell.

I have seen the schematic of the Thunderchief, but the Thor sounded better and more like a a Plexi.

I'm breadboarding it anyway to see if I can tweak it, I'll try to get a scope from my dad's work, because tweaking with the aid of a scope got me really neat sounds with my distortion pedal built.

EDIT:
Trying to run this in a circuit simulator everything works except for that if I place the last JFET (Q3) it says that it's reversed bias. Anyone know what could be wrong?
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Last edited by pinguinpanic at Sep 30, 2008,
I just ordered the part todays so I think they'll arrive friday. I've decided to just make it a stompbox with a volume and gain button and true bypass. But if it's going to sound like the sound clip it will still rip. So I'm going to test it and if necesairy I'm going to just put a simple op-amp in front of it for a bit more gain.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4