I've got $800 to spend. I currently own a Washburn x12 and a Vox AD15VT. I MUST replace the guitar, it has crapped out on me. I like the amp but would replace it if I found something better.

I'm a beginner journeying into intermediate territory. I'd love to sound like some of these bands: Opeth, Tool, Machine Head, Children Of Bodom, Fear Factory, and ZZ Top.

I'm clueless when it comes to amps so I've only been looking at guitars.
These are the 3 that have caught my attention:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DKMG Dinky
PRS SE Custom

I am by no means limiting myself to the 3 above. I am open to any suggestions. I want be able to go from the awesome crunch of Billy Gibbons to the machine-like sound of Fear Factory.

Some amp suggestions would be awesome. I play in my apartment so I don't want anything too loud to piss off the neighbors. I was looking at some stuff that is supposed to let you play through your computer. Does anyone have an opinion on this or items similar to it.

Thanks in advance.
Your best best would be the Jackson RR3 unless you don't like the shape (this one has the jack on the large fin so you CAN actually sit down, Im looking at you JS30RR), the pickups and floyd rose allow you to play a lot of stuff but not change tunings very easily.

Don't fool around with computer based guitar amplification unless you're planning on doing a bit of recording, the sound isnt that great.

Personally Im looking at getting the 5w Epiphone Valve Jr Combo and playing a BOSS GT-10 through that but with a Schecter C-1 Classic (which has the same pickups as the RR3).

I highly recommend the BOSS GT-10, Line 6 offer a lot of options and decent quality but I dont find it very practical.
The GT-10 just oozes quality build and is very good.
Also, it offers a USB connection for said optional recording.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
wow... from children of bodom to ZZ Top, could the man ask for anything more impossable :P

The computer softwear is pretty iffy compared to the real deal, stick with your VOX

As for a guitar... ummmmmmmm, god, i'd either go a les paul copy if you want ZZ Top or an Ibanez RG if you're looking at the others...

have a nice day
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by dunda130
(this one has the jack on the large fin so you CAN actually sit down, Im looking at you JS30RR)

It's just fine with an angled cable, which you should probably have with a Rhoads, anyway.

Quote by R.D
wow... from children of bodom to ZZ Top, could the man ask for anything more impossable :P

Um...an Explorer?
You're*
to be fair the prs you were looking at could go from zz top to bodom with the right amp

and its a lovely guitar

id also check out maybe ltd
Quote by Survivalism
It's just fine with an angled cable, which you should probably have with a Rhoads, anyway.

I used to use one but it ended up jarring the jack socket so much it would buzz and/or crackle whenever plugged it in. Its fixed now though.
Also, its extremely uncomfortable like that :P

Again, the VOX Valvetronix range are great, as are the Roland Cubes if you dont care about tubes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
I would save a little more and buy a nice guitar. Then upgrade your amp when you get a little more $
If you want to get a nice guitar, save another 50$ and look at something like a schecter hellraiser, or along those lines. It can go to any style due to the coil tap. I own one and it can crank some deep distortion and also sounds pretty crystal with the coil tap pulled
member of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm silvertoness11 to join

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
In the beginning there was nothing...

...which exploded.

UG MISSLE SILO!
Thanks for all of the responses.

I've never used a tremolo before so I don't know how they affect tuning. I like to play many different styles so I happen tend to play around with different tunings. I've been reading that tremolos make it difficult to do so. Is there any merit to this? How difficult is it?
Not all tremolo's make changing tunings difficult. Just floyd roses' because of the way they are set up. You lock the strings in place at the nut so changing a tuning can easily take 10 minutes.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
You seem to be looking for a versatile guitar, and by the influences and the amount of versatility you want, I'd be looking for a guitar with passive pickups, mahogany body, hardtail.

I would look at a few Les Pauls, the vintage mahogany has all of those requirements and is $850. The ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 amber sunburst w/ duncans would be a good choice. Maybe a washburn X50.

check out www.rondomusic.com also.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio