So I'm ordering a Crate V33 212 (The 33 Watt, with 2X 12 inch speakers) to upgrade from my Vox Valvetronix (It's not loud enough without sounding cruddy, but overall... I love the amp).

I play typically with clean channels but occasionally I use heavy gain settings (something that the Valvetronix gave me lots of)...

I'm also trading my Valvetronix for a few things...

1.) Some no name EQ pedal (Omnifex)?
2.) Boss DF-2 (Feedback control and distortion pedal)
3.) Some cash

Is the Distortion pedal and the amps gain channel going to be sufficient for good lead/metal tones?

Also, I'm playing with a band... we plan on doing small-medium gigs (Local pubs to small halls/venues)

The 33 Watt 2 X 12 will be good for these volumes... But is it going to over do it during practice?

Is the 18 Watt 2 X 12 a smarter choice?

Lastly, as I'm an amp noob (you may have already realized this), could someone direct me to a website that would give SIMPLE and easy instructions on biasing tubes, so I can do some research?
33watts is a good number. It won't over due it in practice. I know crate amps don't take THAT long to get a great loud sound, so keep it at around 5 and you'll be more than happy.

You don't need to bias unless there is something seriously wrong with the manufacturers settings.
Just curious for when I do need to change the tubes... I've also heard that the stock tubes are the Sovtek tubes which get a bad rap for being a bit hissy... and reviews state that changing the tubes made a world of difference...

(of course I'll decide this for myself)

also, other than volume, is there significant tonal differences between 1x12 and 2x12 amps?
It's quite loud.

I actually have the V33H and an AD50VT. I don't know what you mean about it sounding cruddy at loud volumes, as I've had mine dimed and it still sounded great.

The V33 is cathode biased, so you don't need to worry about biasing.
Quote by imgooley
It's quite loud.

I actually have the V33H and an AD50VT. I don't know what you mean about it sounding cruddy at loud volumes, as I've had mine dimed and it still sounded great.

The V33 is cathode biased, so you don't need to worry about biasing.

Man, responses are fast... Thanks a lot!

So from my 2 second google search... cathode biasing will eliminate my need to bias if I choose to (or have a need for it in a year or two) replace the tubes?

My amp is AD30VT... Cranked fully it has it's moments of "what the hell was that noise???" and "Sounds shitty!".
Quote by roshjosh
Man, responses are fast... Thanks a lot!

So from my 2 second google search... cathode biasing will eliminate my need to bias if I choose to (or have a need for it in a year or two) replace the tubes?

My amp is AD30VT... Cranked fully it has it's moments of "what the hell was that noise???" and "Sounds shitty!".

Eh, mine never did/does that.

Yes, cathode bias means you don't need to bias when you swap tubes, iirc.
im thinking about getting a v33 too. i play in a classic rock style band, also shred. would this work for that if i use an mxr distortion plus with it for some of the higher gain stuff? and what would it sound like with el34 tubes?
Well, you can't just put different types of tubes in unless its made for it like my XXX takes 6l6 and el34.

I'm gonna be honest here. The v33's gain channel is a muddy mess to my ears. Not very useable at all especially for metal and shred type music. However with an eq and an overdrive to boost and cut some mud because its a very bassy amp will do wonders for it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
i have a 7-band equalizer. and if i replace the speakers on it that will get rid of the bassy sound. ive seen stuff about that. i also have overdrives to put on it. would an electro-harmonix EL84 sound better than the ones that come in this? i saw in an earlier post that theyre sovteks.
Last edited by 7guitarist7 at Jul 1, 2010,
I had a Crate V33, for the money I think it's a pretty good deal. I found it sounded best under 5 on the clean channel (using pedals if I wanted drive) or totally dimed. In between those was mud. The SOVTEK tubes are okay, depending on which version you get, some are better than others.

These sites will give you some ideas on replacement tubes:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/EL84-Tube-Review

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Reviews

If you're handy with electronics (or know someone who is) you could check out:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Tweaking_a_Crate_V33

(Of course amps like this carry very dangerous levels of current if you go messing around in there - don't do it without experience and learning.)

As for your other trade: While the equalizer would be somewhat handly, I don't think that boss pedal will give you the sound you're looking for. Not a great level of gain, and the feedback part is pretty useless for actual playing (I have a similar boost/feedback pedal.) I'd pass on that deal and look for someone else to trade for a really nice OD 1, OD 2 or OD 3 - or other high-gain pedal.

All that said, you might actually be better off getting a Blackstar amp 20 or 40 watt. Will give you a lot better gain than the V33 for the type of music you want to play.
Last edited by neil105 at Nov 21, 2015,
Quote by neil105
I had a Crate V33, for the money I think it's a pretty good deal. I found it sounded best under 5 on the clean channel (using pedals if I wanted drive) or totally dimed. In between those was mud. The SOVTEK tubes are okay, depending on which version you get, some are better than others.

These sites will give you some ideas on replacement tubes:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/EL84-Tube-Review

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/12AX7-Tube-Reviews

If you're handy with electronics (or know someone who is) you could check out:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Tweaking_a_Crate_V33

(Of course amps like this carry very dangerous levels of current if you go messing around in there - don't do it without experience and learning.)

As for your other trade: While the equalizer would be somewhat handly, I don't think that boss pedal will give you the sound you're looking for. Not a great level of gain, and the feedback part is pretty useless for actual playing (I have a similar boost/feedback pedal.) I'd pass on that deal and look for someone else to trade for a really nice OD 1, OD 2 or OD 3 - or other high-gain pedal.

All that said, you might actually be better off getting a Blackstar amp 20 or 40 watt. Will give you a lot better gain than the V33 for the type of music you want to play.

This thread is 5yrs old, no need to necro-bump
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate