Stick to 4/4 for time signatures but in terms of riffs you should be able to get just about everything you need from the minor pentatonic, natural minor and major, very little music really has anything else in it these days.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sure, but I'm a huge fan of funk music and guitar-wise.. it's all about the funky strumming they all imply to it. Try playing around with your strumming, different upstrokes and downs. No matter what chord you use (generally), you can make it funky with the strumming.
Funk isn't about scales and chords, it's about rhythm. Syncopate and swing it.

However, good chords to use are dominant chords.
Quote by imgooley
Funk isn't about scales and chords, it's about rhythm. Syncopate and swing it.

However, good chords to use are dominant chords.

that^

and just look up blues scales, any you can find. I've learned some out of a Guitar World mag and I've made riffs I'm pretty proud of out of scales I haven't found elsewhere.

Also bends and wiggles help. emphasis on rhythm.
90% of funk, latin, and swing is phrasing. . . so focus on that.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
90% of funk, latin, and swing is phrasing. . . so focus on that.

You mean rhythm.
Ideally, funk riffs are syncopated, and are a jazz-like swing style.
Try using the blues scale as well.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by imgooley
You mean rhythm.

Phrasing- Music. a. to mark off or bring out the phrases of (a piece), esp. in execution.
b. to group (notes) into a phrase

Synonyms- Expression, Idiom

Rhythm- Music. a. the pattern of regular or irregular pulses caused in music by the occurrence of strong and weak melodic and harmonic beats.
b. a particular form of this: duple rhythm; triple rhythm.

I meant phrasing.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by imgooley
You mean rhythm.

Rhythm is a huge part of phrasing but it isn't all of it; phrasing is definitely the right word, rhythm doesn't cover it all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.