Just started learning bits of these (very, very slowly). I listen to a lot of Pantera and was just wondering if Dimebag used ether of these scales? They remind me a lot of the Domination solo particularly, mainly the phrygian.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
E phrygian is just C Major(ionian) or A minor(aeolian) starting from the E tone so E phrygians formula from the major scale(major scale let's call tones all natural, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) Phrygian would be 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-(8). . . the only difference between Locrian(half diminished scale, starting from B progressing through to B(in c major, so B C D E F G A B)) is that in Locrian your fifth is flatted making it a half diminished scale. . . it is naturally flatted, so no need for a flat symbol playing Locrian in B. . . .Pantera used a lot of Blues scale and Pentatonic minors. . . . Anyways, Hope that's helpful
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by Trey Spruance
Just started learning bits of these (very, very slowly). I listen to a lot of Pantera and was just wondering if Dimebag used ether of these scales? They remind me a lot of the Domination solo particularly, mainly the phrygian.

Dime may have inadvertantly used those scales at some point but he wasn't really much of a theory-based player, he knew the Minor pentatonic, natural minor and blues scales and a bunch of arpeggios. Beyond that any of the more 'out' sounding licks (like the ascending run in Cowboys From Hell) are likely to be based around patterns that he liked to play that he just moved across the fretboard until he ended on a strong note.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.