I want a Floyd Rose on my strat. a tremolo bar that can take heavy use and not go out of tune. What do I need to buy? No I wont be fitting it myself I just want to know what I need.

Thanks.
be easier just to install some schaller locking tuners. works great and doesnt look crappy like the FR does IMO. fender bullets + fender tremolo+ locking tuners will stay in tune better than a FR with regular strings
yeh i wouldnt do it on a old expensive guitar
but if its a mexican or something go ahead it would be cool

especially if its hss with an orginal floyd

just make sure its done by someone who knows putting a floyd in is so complicated and easy to mess up its unbeleivable

just dont expect it to be cheap
Quote by sixfinger'd
be easier just to install some schaller locking tuners. works great and doesnt look crappy like the FR does IMO. fender bullets + fender tremolo+ locking tuners will stay in tune better than a FR with regular strings

nope

the nut is an extra contact point, meaning friction, meaning the string is not free to move back to the exact place it was before whammy use.

also, you don't get the range of a Floyd rose with a fender trem.

fitting a floyd is usually more hassle than it's worth. you might as well buy a new guitar with one already installed.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
It wont be cheap to get a FR put in your fender. The body has to be routed and the cost of the FR and the neck needs to be modded for a locking nut. There have been many threads on this is usually cheaper to get a guitar with one than put one in.
It depends on how you want the Floyd to sit. If you want it recessed or flush mounted.

Recessed means you rout out more wood where your Floyd would sit and your Floyd will 'float' meaning you can do dive bombs and pull ups. Most guitars have this setup. Your other option is to go old school and have the Floyd flush mounted meaning sitting ontop of the guitar body, I prefer this method.
This will be dive only but your bridge will have contact with the body meaning better tone and sustain. This is an easier method as you'll only need to have someone drill 2 holes for the posts. This is how it looks like...

Either way you go, your neck will also need to be routed for a Floyd nut. I'd say $200 for the Floyd + $150 in labor to have a tech route the neck and drill 2 holes for the Floyd posts and a setup for a flush mounted Floyd and you'd be getting off cheap. If you love the guitar then do it if thats what you want, but make sure its what you want! No going back. Also the Floyd will change the tone of your guitar, not saying for the better or worse that depends on you but it will.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Flush mounted Floyds are a waste of money on a Strat that already has a vintage or 2 point trem.

My Strat was easily able to divebomb with it's vintage trem and it stayed in tune... without locking tuners.

If you want it to float so you can pull up, just adjust the bridge a bit so it's on an angle to the body, this is how Leo Fender originally drew it up, but they have since stuck to placing them flush to the guitar instead. Setting it to float can damage the guitar though if you over use the tremolo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Have you heard of the Super Vee? It's a Floyd-Rose style tremolo, that you can throw on yourself. I saw a video of it on the NAMM website. It's a little pricey, but from what I saw on the video, it looks well worth it, and is designed for the Strat-style guitar.

EDIT: I'm at school right now, so I can't watch YouTube vids, but here is what I think is the correct link to Super Vee info.

If not, just check out the NAMM site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljTw16uQsM
Quote by MatrixClaw
Flush mounted Floyds are a waste of money on a Strat that already has a vintage or 2 point trem.

My Strat was easily able to divebomb with it's vintage trem and it stayed in tune... without locking tuners.

If you want it to float so you can pull up, just adjust the bridge a bit so it's on an angle to the body, this is how Leo Fender originally drew it up, but they have since stuck to placing them flush to the guitar instead. Setting it to float can damage the guitar though if you over use the tremolo.

Thats an opinion. Floyd will give you a much greater range and still stay in tune and its all preference. I don't believe that him going through all this trouble is worth it. Either get a new guitar if he really wants a Floyd or get locking tuners, a roller nut and he'd be pretty close.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst