Ok, so not just yet, since I just dropped a bunch of cash on a new amp, but in a few months...

Right now I'm playing a quite low end (cost $180 in 2003) Ibanez with swapped pickups and a [intentionally] disabled tremolo. It has a Duncan '59 SH-1 in the neck, a "little '59" SL-59 in the middle, and a Duncan Custom SH-5 in the bridge. (Yes, they did cost considerably more than the axe itself... I may pull them eventually.) I'm happy with this guitar's tone, but I know I could get a better playing instrument.

The C-1 Classic seems like almost the perfect guitar for me. Neck-thru construction, coil tapping, kick ass pickup set (Duncan Jazz & JB), locking bridge, 24 frets, ...the list goes on. The only real beef I have with it is the Vine of Life inlay. It's just kind of flashy, and frankly, useless for finding my position on the fretboard. It's also $750.00.

The C-1 Plus has some kick ass looking inlays that actually serve a purpose, and a better price ($600, or I can get a blemished one for $450 in my second choice color), but everything else suffers. Duncan Designed pickups (modeled after the same pickups used in the other guitar) non locking bridge (but still tone pros) no coil tapping, set neck, it gains a second volume knob but I'd rather have both pickups on the same dial. From the pictures it looks as though the set neck does not hinder upper fret access.

So, I'm stumped. Have any of you played both of these guitars and know their differences? How do the duncan designed pickups compare the the genuine duncans? Any knowledge you share is greatly appreciated.
Just read the last part. And Duncan Designed pickups are nothing compared to real Seymour Duncans. So, if its a choice between those two, go with the SD.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
I have the C-1+ and I love it. I did change the bridge pickup to an actual Duncan which made the tone super ultra sexy (or hardcore, depending on what you need it for), and that was only around $80 i think. Not bad at all. I'm really happy with it. Oh, and mine does have the coil tapping and a locking bridge, so they must be mixing up the features a little. But the guitar plays like a champ and has an awesome feel, and is incredibly well made, especially for the price.
I took a different path one day
I chose to go another way...
i've got the c-1 elite, a very good guitar but i think any schecter is worth that many.
there just good alround
i would also consider the c1 blackjack
it looks really nice to me

i would get one if i didnt have the problem of getting it in the uk
Quote by jayscrivener
i would also consider the c1 blackjack
it looks really nice to me

i would get one if i didnt have the problem of getting it in the uk

go to sound control, thats where i got my schecter
Quote by jayscrivener
nice one thanks

isnt that reverb store now

i shall have a look

yeah, they have a shop in birmingham, leicester. They are really helpful in the one in leicester if you are around that way
I have a C-1 plus, and I have played a jackson RR3 with jb and jazz pickups. The difference between the real duncans and the duncan designed is not big, the difference between the duncan designed and emgs though, is bigger. Anyways, the C-1 plus have coil tapping =)
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Well some sources say that the current C-1 has coil tapping, but it only has two volume knobs, a tone knob, and a 3-way selector switch, so I don't see how it could have been implemented.

Score, I just found the classic available for 685.

Metaladdict, Schecter no longer makes the c-1 elite.

jayscrivener, I looked at the blackjack, but it's not quite what I'm after.

So between fatboythin and boggaN i've got conflicting reports on the difference between the two pickup types. Anyone else? Also, I'm not interested in active pickups.

Come to think of it, does anyone know how the JB and Jazz pickups compare to the ones' i already have? I haven't actually heard them, I'm only going buy the descriptions I've read.

Oh, one more thing. I"m suprised no one has said it yet, but I can't just go and play them, because I can't find anyone in the area who carries schecters, and the closest few who do don't have the classic or plus. I'll have to wait until I go back to Miami for christmas so I can find some chain stores.
Last edited by Blaster Bob at Sep 30, 2008,
the c-1 plus models have coil tapping...i played one recently. I'm actually looking into getting the guitar, since I think it'd sound amazing once it has some real Duncans in it.
I have a Schecter Hellraiser V1 and an Avenger, love 'em both.

Be patient, get a model with the pups you want.
The hellraiser avenger is actually about the same price as the classic, but, once again, not interested in active pickups. I dont play metal.

RG fanman, the price of switching the pickups makes up the difference between the plus and the classic. More than the difference, actually.
i just moved to a c-1 series and i'm blown away by not only the versatility but the quality of the guitar.
Go used! You can get classics for around $500 and C-1+ for $400 on the used section of guitarcenter.com alone
Quote by SonicMayham
no get the hellraiser avenger. save up for it if you have to. its just sick. look at it.

guitars arent about looks id go for the classic its got the real duncans and you will get used to the inlays
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Get the C-1 Classic. The real duncan pickups shit all over the "duncan designed" ones. It is good for ANY style of music. (from jazz to death metal) The Vine of Life inlays do take a little getting used to at first but once you play it for a half-hour it is just as easy to find the right fret as on a dot inlay guitar. The neck is also thinner than the Hellraiser series, which may be a good or bad thing for you, but for me (with small hands) it is the perfect neck size. I own one and I must say that it is the best sounding, feeling, and looking guitar I have ever played in my entire life.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
Quote by Blaster Bob
Well some sources say that the current C-1 has coil tapping, but it only has two volume knobs, a tone knob, and a 3-way selector switch, so I don't see how it could have been implemented.

Score, I just found the classic available for 685.

Metaladdict, Schecter no longer makes the c-1 elite.

jayscrivener, I looked at the blackjack, but it's not quite what I'm after.

So between fatboythin and boggaN i've got conflicting reports on the difference between the two pickup types. Anyone else? Also, I'm not interested in active pickups.

Come to think of it, does anyone know how the JB and Jazz pickups compare to the ones' i already have? I haven't actually heard them, I'm only going buy the descriptions I've read.

Oh, one more thing. I"m suprised no one has said it yet, but I can't just go and play them, because I can't find anyone in the area who carries schecters, and the closest few who do don't have the classic or plus. I'll have to wait until I go back to Miami for christmas so I can find some chain stores.

lucky i got it last year
Big post coming...

Quote by KingDev
Go used! You can get classics for around $500 and C-1+ for $400 on the used section of guitarcenter.com alone

That's a really attractive proposition, I'm glad you mentioned it. Guitar Center has several Classics online for $400. Anyone know if they'll ship it to me and how much that would cost? I'm still real nervous about buying a guitar that I can't personally inspect and play the hell out of first though...

Quote by -Blue-
The tone knob is also a push/pull coil-tap.

Thanks, that makes more sense. So then what does the 5 way selector switch do on the Classic?

Quote by HighPotency
Could you get the C-1+ and swap the pickups? I know 2 people with the c-1+ and i think they sound pretty good.

I'd end up spending more money than a classic, for a guitar that isn't as good as one.

Quote by the Sinner
Get the C-1 Classic. The real duncan pickups shit all over the "duncan designed" ones. It is good for ANY style of music. (from jazz to death metal) The Vine of Life inlays do take a little getting used to at first but once you play it for a half-hour it is just as easy to find the right fret as on a dot inlay guitar. The neck is also thinner than the Hellraiser series, which may be a good or bad thing for you, but for me (with small hands) it is the perfect neck size. I own one and I must say that it is the best sounding, feeling, and looking guitar I have ever played in my entire life.

Now that bit about the necks is something I can't get from reading about it, thanks. I have medium to large size hands but prefer a thinner neck. How does the coil tapping sound? realistic strat imitation? I'm not really a strat guy but sometimes there's just no substitute for a strat.
Bump?

I've just about decided on the Classic now, I'm just trying to decide if I should risk buying a used guitar over the internet. Normally I wouldn't even consider a new guitar that I can't play first but the prices on these used ones are just so GOOD! Still, every one of them was sold for a reason, and, costing $750 new, that reason probably wasn't that they bought it and then decided they didn't want to learn guitar after all.